This will be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
20160402_133805-1.jpg
We're taking this kava thing to the next level! If you've been a member on the forums for a while you know I've been talking about a bottled kava pretty much since the dawn of time. We've had a lot of false starts and changes of direction, but today thanks to the thriving medicinal and legal marijuana market, we were able to take a big step in the right direction by picking up this used Apeks supercritical Co2 extractor. A final drinkable product may be a while, but it's in sight. In the meantime, expect some other extract products, including flavored pastes, munchies, and possibly capsules, among other things. We're still committed to being a leader in selling dry root for traditional preparation, but it's nice to offer options. I'm ridiculously excited to experiment.

Does anyone have any flavor or product ideas or thoughts?

I'll keep everyone posted.

Bula!

Last edited by a moderator:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I remember saying "I wish Portland weren't so far away" after seeing this picture on facebook earlier. If I lived within 2 hours I would be there tonight. That's sick! Love seeing innovation. There's been a void in the quality extract market.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Ginger Beer kava ?
Mango / Pineapple kava ?
Dissolving 'booster' tablets...for adding extra lactones to your whole tanoa. ::tanoa::
I'd be curious to see what a chemotype test of the extract looks like, compared to the same root powder.
Ginger and kava go well together, and I love ginger beer. That would be cool! Never really considered carbonated but that might be nice.

I like the dissolving tablets thing as well. Co2 extracts don't dissolve in water though so an emulsifier would need to be added. It's possible though.

I'll post some test results. I'm curious about the chemotypes as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
I remember saying "I wish Portland weren't so far away" after seeing this picture on facebook earlier. If I lived within 2 hours I would be there tonight. That's sick! Love seeing innovation. There's been a void in the quality extract market.
At this point if you had showed up tonight, we would just be putting raw uncut extract under our tongues and making our faces numb. It's a cool machine to just look at though really.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Ginger Beer kava ?
Mango / Pineapple kava ?
Dissolving 'booster' tablets...for adding extra lactones to your whole tanoa. ::tanoa::
I'd be curious to see what a chemotype test of the extract looks like, compared to the same root powder.
It would be sweet if we could make some tablets that fizz like Alka Seltzer. Not that it would somehow make it more effective, but it would look cool. Haha.

D

Deleted User01

Hey, don't get too goofy on day one. Let's try orange and go from there. Maybe something simple like Grape could be next. I'm just thinking of my favorite flavors of sody pop when I was a kid. @Judd Rench, ya know I just finished watching the latest Fantastic Four movie and I swear that device looks just like the one that send them into another dimension. Be berry, berry careful. Flame on!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
@Judd Rench are you guys using fresh or dry root? Also what ratio are you seeing in terms of product yield? I know Adil was getting 50/1, but I always wondered if you could do better with dry root.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
@Judd Rench are you guys using fresh or dry root? Also what ratio are you seeing in terms of product yield? I know Adil was getting 50/1, but I always wondered if you could do better with dry root.
We're using dry root. By ratio of product yield, do you mean extract output to raw root input? I've only had time to run one cycle so far but I was able to get 330 grams of dry Nangol Noble in the 1 liter chamber, and after a 5 hour cycle it yielded about 23 grams of extract. That would be much greater than 50/1, if that's what you mean.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
We're using dry root. By ratio of product yield, do you mean extract output to raw root input? I've only had time to run one cycle so far but I was able to get 330 grams of dry Nangol Noble in the 1 liter chamber, and after a 5 hour cycle it yielded about 23 grams of extract. That would be much greater than 50/1, if that's what you mean.
That's exactly what I mean. Wow. That's great news! I guess you can accurately say that your starting material is 6.9% kavalactones by weight. Do you think running it longer would make a big difference? Knowing how they work, it seems like maybe two passes would get pretty much any trace of KLs out.

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, hydrocarbon extraction would be difficult at best. Imagine purging grams of kavalactone paste for 5 days in a vacuum oven.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
That's exactly what I mean. Wow. That's great news! I guess you can accurately say that your starting material is 6.9% kavalactones by weight. Do you think running it longer would make a big difference? Knowing how they work, it seems like maybe two passes would get pretty much any trace of KLs out.

Edit: Also, now that I think about it, hydrocarbon extraction would be difficult at best. Imagine purging grams of kavalactone paste for 5 days in a vacuum oven.
It is a good yield, pending total kavalactone percentage confirmation. It's actually quite hard to figure starting material percentage based on the yield because a. I don't yet know the percentage of the extract (Probably between 70% and 80%), and b. as efficient as supercritical co2 extraction is, it's not 100% efficient.

I would definitely get more extract if I doubled the run time. I will experiment with that to see if it's worth the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.