What's new

¿pakihani paartay ai?

K

Kava Steve

that's really the best low cost option it just isn't a direct integration into the site... Anything that integrates will cost quite a lot

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
I'm strongly considering setting up video chat through kavaforums. Anyone know of a good service that would be affordable to a website that runs on donations? :D
http://openmeetings.apache.org/
Never used it so I can't say how good it is, but it would allow for multiple users to be connected at once. Its open source and its free. Its from Apache, and since Kava Forums is Nginx 1.4.6 based I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to integrate it. I'm sure it can be done. A good one-on-one solution is Firefox Hello. Doesn't require web site registration or anything. You just click the "Hello" icon and send your friend the url.

I like Mumble audio chat. Requires less bandwidth than video, is open sourced (free), is lightweight, runs on all OSs and iPhones, would probably be easy to set up, and has plenty of documentation on how to use it. You could quickly set up a chat server. (My 2 cents.)

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
We also have a twitter account...again...underused. In fact if someone here wanted to take over the twitter account and update it with pertinent kava information and such I'd be open for that.

K

Kava Steve

http://openmeetings.apache.org/
Never used it so I can't say how good it is, but it would allow for multiple users to be connected at once. Its open source and its free. Its from Apache, and since Kava Forums is Nginx 1.4.6 based I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to integrate it. I'm sure it can be done.

A good one-on-one solution is Firefox Hello. Doesn't require web site registration or anything. You just click the "Hello" icon and send your friend the url.

solutions like this cost a fortune in bandwidth

verticity

I'm interested in things
solutions like this cost a fortune in bandwidth
Yeah, the best option is to use an existing free service, Skype being the obvious one. Each user's profile already has a place to enter a Skype id. Some of us might want to create alternate Skype IDs for KF. Some of us might also not wish to participate in video chat due to butt-ugliness issues. Sigh. :(

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I'm just looking for chat feature (preferably video) that's dead simple to use.

K

Kava Steve

I really like the idea of google hangouts for this one, people can be extremely interactive just like on the forums and they don't have to enable video if they don't want to and still be apart of the discussion

besides unlike Skype hangouts will attract newcommers to the forums

K

Kava Steve

I did used to work at google but I am not being biased here, I don't recommend google products unless they are the best fit. I am recommending it based on my years of experience in SEO I see it benefiting kavaforums in many more ways than just adding chat

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I like the way you talk @Kava Steve . I'll see if I can't figure out hangouts again. I tried it once and got frustrated, but this is kavaforums. We don't give up! (unless it's really hard)

@avahZ Oh I know I know. It's been forever since I updated that page. I've been more into keeping instagram updated. It seems to command the most attention.

K

Kava Steve

I think the best way to create a hangout is if you first create a google plus KavaForums business page... Then create the hangout under the business.... Then for the g plus page members can post photos, short descriptions with links back to reviews etc.

you can even set sub admins to help manage like here on the forums

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Yeah, the best option is to use an existing free service, Skype being the obvious one. Each user's profile already has a place to enter a Skype id. Some of us might want to create alternate Skype IDs for KF. Some of us might also not wish to participate in video chat due to butt-ugliness issues. Sigh. :(
I'm not aware that multiple people can be in on the same Skype chat. I'm thinking its a one on one solution, but I could be wrong.

verticity

I'm interested in things
I think the best way to create a hangout is if you first create a google plus KavaForums business page... Then create the hangout under the business.... Then for the g plus page members can post photos, short descriptions with links back to reviews etc.

you can even set sub admins to help manage like here on the forums
Important question (to me) I'm signed up to Google Plus with my real name. Is it possible to join a "hangout" with a different identity? Do I need to create a new Google account?

greenbeen

Kava Enthusiast
It would be nice to use a service that doesnt require video. Will google hangouts work just as well on a cellphone? That would be a huge plus

Bubba Bula

krunkadelic relic
Important question (to me) I'm signed up to Google Plus with my real name. Is it possible to join a "hangout" with a different identity? Do I need to create a new Google account?
Yeah I don't like Google. Its a creepy company so I don't do hangouts and use Google as little as possible. Don't like FB either. Same thing. :cool:

Here's a good tip. Want to do a Google search but don't want to be tracked? Use Startpage.
Here's another tip. Like Chrome, but don't like Google tracking you? Use SR-Ware Iron.
De-Google your life: it’s worth the hassle if you value your privacy

One day you won't be able to pay enough to get even a morsel of your privacy back. I realize many think its already dead. Maybe it is, maybe its not. You can decide, in part, how much of it you are willing to give away.

Last edited:
K

Kava Steve

good question, well have to test it out