What's new

2015 International Conference on Kava Presentations

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Great job, @Deleted User ! I was able to watch most of what you've done tonight. I'll have to catch up in the next few days. I'm most curious about how we can convince vendors to stop selling the substances that bring a bad light on kava. Additionally, how we can convince vendors to sell ONLY noble kava is going to be the magic question. I think it needs to be a "boots on the ground" scenario, more than anything. ie "Hey, can I sample your kava to test in our labs?" After testing, returning the vendor and explaining the results would help them understand their customers far more, and the need for noble kava.

D

Deleted User01

@Runding, the only way to "encourage" them is to boycott their products. And tell everyone not to buy them. However in this forum, that's tough to do without stepping on more than a few toes. Myself, I don't care if the vendors scream to high heaven. "Me thinketh doth do protest too much" or "Me thinketh, you stinketh". :LOL: But the admins are doing their best to keep war from breaking out in the this peaceful idyllic community. So I just point everyone over to TrueKavas (@Harpos) Acetone tests and hopefully the truth will sink in. Hmmm, I would say that there is nothing wrong with "encouraging" consumers to read the test results and then making sure they understand them.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
@Runding, the only way to "encourage" them is to boycott their products. And tell everyone not to buy them. However in this forum, that's tough to do without stepping on more than a few toes. Myself, I don't care if the vendors scream to high heaven. "Me thinketh doth do protest too much" or "Me thinketh, you stinketh". :LOL: But the admins are doing their best to keep war from breaking out in the this peaceful idyllic community. So I just point everyone over to TrueKavas (@Harpos) Acetone tests and hopefully the truth will sink in. Hmmm, I would say that there is nothing wrong with "encouraging" consumers to read the test results and then making sure they understand them.
I think it's more of a two-part war though. The average kava consumer (especially newbies) doesn't know the difference between Tudei and Noble, and since the group of people in the US who actually care/know about this difference is quite small, tudei vendors won't miss our money all that much considering how few of us there are.

If you look at the average kava vendor, they also know very little about the product they're selling. Getting this stuff tested by an actual laboratory is far more than your Mom & Pop health food/herbal shop cares about. It's most likely one specific root that they buy from someone that doesn't educate, or care about them.

So:
1) We need to educate vendors on what the root is they're selling, and how consumers will buy MORE kava from them if they only sell noble.
2) We need to educate consumers to not buy tudei kava.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Dr. Lebot's presentation added to post #1. I've edited it at his request to remove data not yet published, but there's some great stuff there!
The whole process of exporting kava was really quite intriguing to watch, and doesn't surprise me one bit. Lots of kava, exported from countries that don't have standardized quality, and a bunch of pretty shady practices. Here's to hoping Vanuatu will clean up its act soon.

On another note, I wonder if the trends we've seen with kava being more in demand within the past few years will spur growers in other countries (I'm looking at you, USA farmers) to start. I'm sure the Caribbean islands and Florida at least could handle the requirements of the plant.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Dr. Schmidt's work really should be more widely known. He more than anyone else has debunked these spurious claims floating around that the Germans and others have latched onto as legitimate.