What's new

A belated introduction

BananaSlug

Greetings to all. It was in 1998 that I first visited Hawaii. I had heard of kava, and saw a huge kava bowl at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. I was fascinated by what I read of the Polynesian kava ceremony. But if there was a kava bar in Waikikki in those days, it was well hidden from tourists.

I was thrilled to find a small tanoa for sale at a shop on Kauai. I took it back to California, where it saw many years of use. Today, thanks to an abundance of instant kavas, the hot-water-in-blender triple squeeze, and the Alu Ball, this tanoa comes out mostly for festive occasions.

Back in those days I bought kava, as well as Fiji cloth strainers and coconut shells, by mail-order from Kava Kauai and Kulea Farm. When the Kavasseur's blog appeared, I followed his reviews with interest. Black Sand and Wow! from Nakamal at Home arrived in my kitchen. Hawaiian kavas remained my favorite, though, and I bought Mahakea, Nene and Hiwa from the Hawaiian Kava Center. When Paradise Kava offered frozen fresh black kavas by FedEx, I ordered it, and while this was not cost effective I will do it again if ever the opportunity presents itself -- kava made from fresh root is delicious. I've had extracts and instants, and a package of kava candy goes with me on economy flights, but I always come back to the root.

On my second trip to Hawaii -- over ten years later -- I found a kava bar: Uncle Robert's at the end of the road in Kalapana on the Big Island.

Today the kava market has flowered. This forum has alerted me to many fine vendors as well as nakamals in the San Francisco Bay Area! Perhaps one day I will meet some of you there.

To new users of kava reading this message: having used kava for twenty years, sometimes daily, while working and in retirement, I have experienced no ill effects -- not even the infamous dermopathy. Bloodwork done as part of my annual physical shows my liver is just fine. Admittedly I've never "lost my legs" or gone cross-eyed -- but I've never felt like going there.

I am grateful to those who have shared this gift.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Greetings to all. It was in 1998 that I first visited Hawaii. I had heard of kava, and saw a huge kava bowl at the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. I was fascinated by what I read of the Polynesian kava ceremony. But if there was a kava bar in Waikikki in those days, it was well hidden from tourists.

I was thrilled to find a small tanoa for sale at a shop on Kauai. I took it back to California, where it saw many years of use. Today, thanks to an abundance of instant kavas, the hot-water-in-blender triple squeeze, and the Alu Ball, this tanoa comes out mostly for festive occasions.

Back in those days I bought kava, as well as Fiji cloth strainers and coconut shells, by mail-order from Kava Kauai and Kulea Farm. When the Kavasseur's blog appeared, I followed his reviews with interest. Black Sand and Wow! from Nakamal at Home arrived in my kitchen. Hawaiian kavas remained my favorite, though, and I bought Mahakea, Nene and Hiwa from the Hawaiian Kava Center. When Paradise Kava offered frozen fresh black kavas by FedEx, I ordered it, and while this was not cost effective I will do it again if ever the opportunity presents itself -- kava made from fresh root is delicious. I've had extracts and instants, and a package of kava candy goes with me on economy flights, but I always come back to the root.

On my second trip to Hawaii -- over ten years later -- I found a kava bar: Uncle Robert's at the end of the road in Kalapana on the Big Island.

Today the kava market has flowered. This forum has alerted me to many fine vendors as well as nakamals in the San Francisco Bay Area! Perhaps one day I will meet some of you there.

To new users of kava reading this message: having used kava for twenty years, sometimes daily, while working and in retirement, I have experienced no ill effects -- not even the infamous dermopathy. Bloodwork done as part of my annual physical shows my liver is just fine. Admittedly I've never "lost my legs" or gone cross-eyed -- but I've never felt like going there.

I am grateful to those who have shared this gift.
1998 was the year we held the 1st International Hawaiian 'Awa Seminar just outside Hilo with Vincent Lebot, Patricia, and many other kava folks! That was a great time and many farmers were getting involved with 'awa. Unfortunate that things fell apart with the liver scare and we have yet to recover.
You may have heard that Uncle Robert has passed away but I assume his son(s) keep up the Kalapana place...not sure. For a little while I sold small quantities of fresh/frozen to PK so you may have had some from my place. Only grow for myself now. My experience, like you, with daily use (evenings only) --no ill effects, annual liver tests excellent. Thanks for your post!

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Good post @BananaSlug
I'll ask, what is your typical dosage for an evening, in Tablespoons ?
You say you'll drink daily sometimes...how often do you go on daily sprees, how many days in a row is typical, when you stop daily drinking what does your usage schedule become ?
::happyshell::

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
@BananaSlug your name just gave me an idea for a potential kava drink mix, for those who enjoy a good slug as part of their diet, such as the Yurok Indians, hey if they ate them, why not.
I can't really think of a recipe atm (I am functioning on 3 1/2 hours of sleep) but I'm sure someone can think of one. The only one that comes to mind is the alcoholic version.
Maybe @HeadHodge can add to the kavapedia recipes..
So many people complain about the taste of kava, throw a banana slug in there and the kava taste will be the last thing on their mind...
What I really wanted to say was welcome to the forum, lol (y) good to have another kava veteran around here.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
You may have heard that Uncle Robert has passed away but I assume his son(s) keep up the Kalapana place...not sure. For a little while I sold small quantities of fresh/frozen to PK so you may have had some from my place. Only grow for myself now.
As far as I know Wednesday nights are still a thing. Miss you, unks!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Thanks for joining the forum. One of the reasons I like this forum is that there are Kava users of 10+ years that really help inform the new folks like myself (>1 year). The information and experiences you bring are very welcome.

BananaSlug

Good post @BananaSlug
I'll ask, what is your typical dosage for an evening, in Tablespoons ?
You say you'll drink daily sometimes...how often do you go on daily sprees, how many days in a row is typical, when you stop daily drinking what does your usage schedule become ?
::happyshell::
Two tablespoons in a pint of half water & half coconut water -- then three solid minutes of frenzied Aluball shaking or sometimes five-to-seven minutes of squeeze & knead in a strainer. Blending and squeezing in hot water produces stronger kava, but I broke my cheap blender after a few months of that so went back to manual methods till I buy something sturdy.

Daily sprees happen every two or three months and run for a week max, always evenings -- usually I'm managing stress (office / family-related) or soothing aches from weeding and digging my vegetable garden. Thereafter I drop back to once or twice a week. If I did more physical labor I imagine I'd drink it more often.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Yup, definitely wouldn't expect any ill effects or dermopathy with such small and infrequent doses. Good on ya.