What's new

A colonial newspaper on the difference between Samoan and Hawaiian kava (written in 1916!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poivrier

methystified
Very interesting. At first it looked like a colonial pamphlet against kava but then it turned into a praise of "gift of Divine Nature". Looks like a marketing strategy to promote samoan 'ava against hawaiian 'awa.
Nice find, Henry !

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
How's this for the toss n wash that will inevitably follow the dump-truck delivery?
Great and I have the perfect cup to drink out of. Here it is---

As some of you know I have been woodworking for over 33 years now, I sold my logging business and started my kava business.
Well this picture is of a big Mango bowl I made, it has my daughter outside the bowl and my grand daughter inside the bowl.
I think I can handle a few of these shells of kava. :sleep:
Aloha.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
This is really interesting.
I like the part when it said they sell the kava in San Fransisco for $60-$70 per ton. I will take 100 tons of Hawaiian 'Awa and 100 tons of Samoan kava please. ::tanoa:: I am going to need a bigger tanoa. (y)
Aloha.

Chris
And Samoan kava is "the fancy price of 1s [shilling] per pound" or about 12 cents!

So, apparently Hawaiian 'awa produces a "mournful sodden, hope-killing drunkenness", but can be a useful medicine for "phthisis" [tuberculosis !] whereas Samoan ava is a benign, refreshing beverage. It seems as though this article is written from the perspective of someone actually observing how kava is used in Samoa, referring to something written earlier by a Victorian missionary or someone in Hawaii who saw awa as a devil drink or something.

D

Deleted User01

Great and I have the perfect cup to drink out of. Here it is---

As some of you know I have been woodworking for over 33 years now, I sold my logging business and started my kava business.
Well this picture is of a big Mango bowl I made, it has my daughter outside the bowl and my grand daughter inside the bowl.
I think I can handle a few of these shells of kava. :sleep:
Aloha.Chris
I can read your granddaughter's lips, "I wanted a Barbie for my birthday and all I got was this wooden bowl from Grandpa". :LOL:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/SAMZ19180202.2.10
Some of these statements are rather surprising and controversial, but it's a rather interesting article. Written over a century ago!
Wonderful, every bit of it. Just to add another historical kava archive here is a 1900 Advertisement in Sears Roebuck Catalogue "Consumers Guide"...the part about the Philippines is wrong of course. I wonder if this is where the term Kava-kava originated?

Attachments

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wonderful, every bit of it. Just to add another historical kava archive here is a 1900 Advertisement in Sears Roebuck Catalogue "Consumers Guide"...the part about the Philippines is wrong of course. I wonder if this is where the term Kava-kava originated?
I think I might consider calling kava "Temperance Wine" from now on.

verticity

I'm interested in things
The reference to the Philippines is because the Philippine-American War was going on at the time, so Americans would have heard of the Philippines, but probably would not know anything about Vanuatu or Fiji. America had defeated Spain in the Spanish-American War in 1898 and had taken over the Philippines, and was in the process of violently suppressing the nascent Philippine independence movement.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I like the part when it said they sell the kava in San Fransisco for $60-$70 per ton. I will take 100 tons of Hawaiian 'Awa and 100 tons of Samoan kava please. ::tanoa:: I am going to need a bigger tanoa. (y)
Aloha.

Chris
In 2015, the relative value of $70.00 from 1916 ranges from $1,080.00 to $25,200.00" (data from a website with an inflation calculator).

I wonder if they were getting paid for green or dried kava. Chris, do you know anything about those old kava exporters and farms? Did they all eventually disappear?

The article is quite interesting, but I think it's based on some potentially biased reports from Hawaii, plus it might be confusing the effects of preparation technique with the actual quality of the root. I've tried some kava from Samoa and while it was nice it wasn't even remotely as good as Chris' kava, which is also a reminder that farmer's skills matter perhaps even more than local cultivars and conditions :)

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
In 2015, the relative value of $70.00 from 1916 ranges from $1,080.00 to $25,200.00" (data from a website with an inflation calculator).

I wonder if they were getting paid for green or dried kava. Chris, do you know anything about those old kava exporters and farms? Did they all eventually disappear?

The article is quite interesting, but I think it's based on some potentially biased reports from Hawaii, plus it might be confusing the effects of preparation technique with the actual quality of the root. I've tried some kava from Samoa and while it was nice it wasn't even remotely as good as Chris' kava, which is also a reminder that farmer's skills matter perhaps even more than local cultivars and conditions :)
So we're talking about possibly as cheap as 54 cents (today) for a pound? Ah, the good old days! :joyful:::kavaleaf::

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
There still is not very much export trade from Samoa.
Not presently no, but Wilex used to export vast amounts from Samoa when I lived there 2000-2003. Their warehouse burned down shortly after though and I think they ceased operation.
Its surprising that the Samoans haven't got in on the opportunity to a bigger extent given all the land they have.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

My file on 'awa growing in old Hawai'i is thick. Likely, this is the best summary to answer your question (part is broken down- fresh vrs. dry) -quote -- "Report on 'Awa by Hawai'i Board of Agriculture and Forestry Commissioners Oct. 26, 1911... The price per ton for awa seems to vary considerably with the locality, ranging from $140 to $320. or more per ton, delivered at steamer landing, Hana- 7 cents lb. ; Kona, 11-12 cents lb. ; Hanalei, 4 cents green (16 cents dry) . These figures coincide with ... Mr. von Damm, quoted in former report. It takes 3 to 4 lbs. of green ...to make 1 lb. of the dried product". They go on to say the Ag. Board will require set prices (this is leased govt. land) of "...not less than 1/2 cents per lb. green ; not less than 2 cents per lb. dry". I think we were a Territory then and I think "green" is fresh. Maybe @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava can add to this but I think the last of the big early exporters were gone by the 1950's except for the big push in the 1990's by former sugar planters and a German Co. All crushed by the liver myth.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.