What's new

A kanna question

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Not sure if this is allowed or not, if it gets frowned upon then please remove it. I wanted to ask this here because I thought I remember reading somewhere that a few members on here use kanna. From what I've read it's an effective anxiety reliever. I suffer from anxiety and have been feeling it a lot more lately, just that horrible feeling of unease that makes you feel like you're "different". Kava has been a wonderful healer in this area but I can't just carry kava around everywhere. I should be getting some 85% kavain soon and I hope that it will be good for on the go purposes. So reading a bit about kanna I think I will try it because I need something that is easier to ingest than kava and works fast for when my anxiety starts. I would like to here some personal experiences if I can so that I can see if it is really as effective as it sounds.
So to any kanna users, does it work well? Does it get rid of anxiety? And how do you use it and how much? Thanks guys, and again, if this thread gets frowned upon then please remove it. If it does get removed then I would love I hear from anyone who uses or has used it in a private message

krunkedout

Kava Lover
P.S another reason I asked this here is because I know I'm not the only one here who suffers from anxiety and I prefer finding natural ways to combat that instead of going to the doctor and getting put on Xanax or klonopin.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I got into snuff tobacco back when I quit smoking in 2008. Not the chew kind, the powder lightly inhaled into the front of your nostrils kind. It's some old-school European aristocratic stuff. I don't use it anymore, but when I did I belonged to a forum dedicated to snuff. Anyway, there was an awesome online vendor well-known to myself and the members of that forum, like Judd is here for example. In an unfortunate sequence of events related to federal tax legislation on internet-ordered tobacco products, this vendor was forced out of the business. Being the entrepreneur he is, he switched the name of his website and began selling less regulated herbs, including kanna. It did spark my interest at first, but I never took the plunge. I will, however, vouch for his superior customer service, fair prices, quality products, and fast shipping.

http://www.kannasnuff.com

The owner's name is Tom, and I have spoken with him over the phone on a couple of occasions.

I will mention that there was some discussion regarding his kanna on the snuff forum, and like kava, it seems to have self-limiting properties in that it becomes uncomfortable at high dosages. However, in the snuff form it acts virtually instantaneously. Of course, you could gel-cap the bulk powder or buy the dried leaf form as well.

kl.metacog

Kava Enthusiast
I experimented with kanna about a year or so ago. I got it from ebay (so who knows what kind of quality it was).

At first I was smoking it, and I did get amazing rushes that way in the beginning (like giggle fits) but after a couple of times it took much more kanna and the buzz was always short lived. I then started putting it in my lip like you would tobacco dip and that seemed to spread it out over an hour and a half.

I will say this though, for me kanna wasn't a emotion "correcter" but more of an emotion "enhancer". So for example when I'm anxious, kava will correct or negate that emotion.  However on one occasion when I was pretty depressed, I took some kanna and became absolutely dysphoric.

But, of course everyone is different and kanna is still relatively benign (and cheap if I remember right?). I'm sure you're already doing loads of research so I don't have to tell you that : p

I'm still looking into phenibut...
edit: grammar

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I'm not going to enforce a no-talking-about-any-other-mood-altering-substance rule. No such rule exists on these forums globally, although it has been followed individually by many posters, (and by default by all lurkers).

However, if we're going to talk about specific medical issues like anxiety, and FDA-endorsed medical cures for these issues like Xanax or Klonopin, then the best place for this discussion would be within the Medical Use of Kava forum.

KrunkedOut, I tried kanna maybe two years ago, purchased from thebotanicalsource.com, came straight from Africa with probably a dozen stamps on it (legit, lol).  I tried different methods of allowing the kanna to enter my body - first by nasal insufflation, which given that it is plant material ended up being pretty painful and the results I felt were probably more of a result of placebo and the fact my nose wasn't on fire anymore than it was any type of mood enhancement.  I then tried to make it into tea, which I only did a few times, tried smoking it, by itself (particulates are very fine and definitely burned quite different than other substances), and also mixed with other plants while smoking, in which the results are going to cloud up as one would be experiencing many different substances at once, hard to remain objective at this point.  I finally just came down to straight up spoonfuls into my mouth and washing it down with water.  This produced an effect, although it was no where near as strong as other substances I have used to produce euphoria or relaxing effects.  

I know I've read some reports at erowid and drug-forum where people would mix kanna and kava together, but besides anecdotal evidence I can't confirm or deny this would be a good idea.  

I've just gotten into kava and I can say that personally the effects are much greater when consuming this substance, but everyone is different so what works for one might not work for another.  I also have been struggling with massive anxiety as well (I had been drinking alcohol daily for about three years and then stopped and my body has been reeeeling) and I am really hesitant to use the benzos my psychologist prescribed me (lorazepam).  Kava definitely seems to be working well for me as an anxiolytic, paradisekava's ISA has been what I've been using.  

Here's a link to the site where I purchased the kanna - http://www.thebotanicalsource.com/kanna-sceletium-tortuosum-p-37.html

I know different forums have different rules, and this is my first post, so if I can't hyperlink/note vendors or whatever just let me know and I will adjust accordingly.

Oh, and thanks for letting me join the community!

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
THIS TOPIC WAS MOVED

... so apparently Yuku won't let it show as having been read. Go away unread indicator, damn you!

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I deleted the placeholder earlier. I was just leaving it up until 9 GMT or so, to make sure everyone knew it was moved.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Thanks for the responses. I ordered 7 grams of pharmaceutical grade powder from ktbotanicals last night. Hopefully it works.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Been using this for a few days now.. It apparently has an RT like kava, I'm definitely feeling it more now that I've done it a few days in a row. It has a great medicinal value in my opinion for anxiety relief. It actually feels a bit like kava to me just a tad more stimulating. Hopefully it doesn't get swept up in the legal high wave like K@ did.
and yes that is an empt paradise kava extract jar

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I have some in the arsenal. Ive been a bit nervous to experiment with it because the info online is all over the place. Some people say its a stimulant, others a anxiolytic. I also have no idea what dosage I should take. I think I have a 5x enhanced dealy. Ive taken around 1/4 gram of it and felt nothing in particular.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Buddhacide said:
I have some in the arsenal. Ive been a bit nervous to experiment with it because the info online is all over the place. Some people say its a stimulant, others a anxiolytic. I also have no idea what dosage I should take. I think I have a 5x enhanced dealy. Ive taken around 1/4 gram of it and felt nothing in particular.
in my opinion it's all in the route of administration and I suppose the quality of the kanna. Sublingualy I don't notice much in effect, but using it like a snuff tobacco (two very small bumps LIGHTLY inhaled in each nostril) gives a very strong almost kava-like effect that lasts for about 30 min an tapers off into relaxation.

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
krunkedout that is exactly what I have read in experience reports as well. How is the nose hit? Mellow, burning sensation, etc?

I've heard that going overboard is a real risk because kanna is active at such a low dosages... You definitely wouldn't want to rail fat lines off of a toilet seat at the club.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
KavaKrunked said:
krunkedout that is exactly what I have read in experience reports as well. How is the nose hit? Mellow, burning sensation, etc?

I've heard that going overboard is a real risk because kanna is active at such a low dosages... You definitely wouldn't want to rail fat lines off of a toilet seat at the club.
it burns but you get used to it. If you inhale to deeply then it might give you some nasal congestion

krunkedout

Kava Lover
I did some more today, same amount and it was even stronger. My consensus is that kanna is stronger than kava, but the effects of kava last longer. Kannas effects will be at their strongest for about a half hour and you feel somewhat simulated but you want to relax. It has potential for an anti-anxiety herb especially since you need such a small amount an you feel the full effects in a few minuets. There is, however, somewhat of a crash after the initial effects. It's not horrible, but it just makes you want to do nothing but lie down and fall asleep. I could also see how over use could lead to anxiety because it behaves as an SSRI, and it's my understanding that when you have too much serotonin in floating around in your brain (I.e. serotonin syndrome) than you can actually have an increase in anxiety with rapid heart beat and feeling of unease, sort of like you feel you might snap and lose control at any minute (like an anxiety attack) I still have to re-try the sublingual method to see if it works better now that I'm seemingly through the RT, but all in all this is a very helpful herb and can also teach moderation, just like kava. Do I recommend it? Yes, I think it's something that should be given a good trial period to see if you like it or not. I will probably try to keep a bit of kanna around for if I need it.

hyperdown

Kava Curious
krunkedout, i've used kanna on and off for a few years. it's certainly interesting stuff, and making a tea out of it is my preferred method (a bit stimulating at first, then relaxing later). be careful with dosages though, overdoing it with kanna can make you feel really weird the next day (like you are in a strange dysphoric dream).

kl.billbryan

Kava Curious
Interesting... I have a sample lying around for over a month now that I got from a reputable vendor but just haven't gotten around to trying it. This thread and your experience make me want to give it a shot.

How much material do you think you are using? I'm guessing you are just using a small pinch, maybe 0.3-0.5g??

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
So based on this thread, I decided to give the kanna another go. I am not interested in snorting it, my nose is really unforgiving. Based on something I read online I took about 500mg and swished it around in my mouth for around 15 minutes. It's about an hour later and I have to say I feel really nice. Doesn't feel like kava at all to me, more like dirty speed but without any edge. I don't see this as anxiolytic at all. Way more of an upper, but maybe that will come in a bit. I see some potential here as an aphrodisiac as well. I'm very happy with this though so far. Thanks for planting the seed krunkedout.