What's new

A new kava drink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amyscol4304

Thank you! I did order Mahakea Instant Kava Powder (suggested by @shakas) just waiting for that to be delivered. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I want to order something else. Wondering if the effect is different when using micronized, instant, or med grind?
thanks,
Amy

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It's pretty different, I would say, personally I never like the effect micronized has, both on my brain and on my digestion, instant never really gives me that muscle-relaxing sedation I'm looking for although it's good for other stuff, med grind puts me on the couch when I prepare it properly

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
It is a non carbonated drink, instead mixed with natural fruit juices including Passion and Guava. We utilize CO2 extracted Kava freshly prepared from Vanuatu Kava root. This is to-date this best extraction method available keeping the active kavalactone content while not introducing harmful solvents. I encourage anyone to hit us up with any questions or comments and look forward to speaking with you! I love talking about all things Kava and encourage anyone to visit our website http://www.DrinkKalm.com[/QUOTE]
Do these CO2 extracts contain the other beneficial constituents of "whole" aqueous kava beverage? Somewhere in the kava forums a recent paper was posted entitled- "Contemporary Pacific and Western perspectives on 'awa". Worth reading if only for the discussion of "entourage effect" highly beneficial other parts besides just kavalactones.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Great question Alia. Unfortunately it is still somewhat uncharted territory comparing CO2 extracts and aqueous extracts not to mention the myriad of other questions we all have on the chemical composition / effects / strains /extractions / etc. of Kava. Luckily more and more research is being compiled everyday with top universities taking more interest in the root and huge strides being made just over the last year. Some other members are probably more knowledgeable / qualified to answer this than myself but I will give it a shot.

Firstly the article you referenced is indeed a great find by GHK. A crazy amount of compiled information on kava and also solvent based extracts. From what I take away, some of the concern regarding solvent extracts resides around the actual compostion of the kavalactones changing with extraction, the concentration of the suspected harmful chalcones (mainly FKB right now), and the lack of extraction of some of the beneficial parts as you mention. What I have found through the limited research available is CO2 extraction has been the most complete method to date, leaving as little damage as possible to the whole spectrum of other constituents in kava root (or any other organic material used) and typically does not change the kavalactone profile. More interestingly though, with CO2, being able to modify the pressure & temperature with extraction, you can selectively target what you do and don't want in the resulting extract. I.E. The most prominent kavalactones have molecular weights around 230-260 g/mol and with FKB having a molecular weight of 284 g/mol, you could hypothetically leave out the potentially harmful constituents and only extract the good stuff.

All in all though it is my position that no matter how complete and innovative you can make an extract, it still only compliments traditional kava use. They can be great methods of introducing newcomers to the benefits of kava without an off putting taste. They can also be a great on-the-go product or for times you don't feel like breaking out the tanoa and muslin bag. That is why we scour the globe to source great kava root varieties as well. Hope that helps?

Last edited:

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Hi Thorildor! Make sure you are consuming it on an empty stomach. As with any kava product, effects are highly dependent on the amount of food you have consumed prior, with 3-4 hours after eating being optimal for the best effects.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

D

Deleted User01

If @Steve Mariotti says 4 oz gives him a buzz, then 4 oz is more than enough. Remember, this is a guy who can horse down a sleeve of Kava candies before he gets his kava on. So 4 oz for Steve would be 2 oz or less for me. That answers a lot of my own questions about dosage on the Kava with Kalm. I'm thinking of getting some to pack in my road warrior kit. It's a hassle trying to get my wife to fix me a bottle of Micronized when we are on the road. But she does it willingly because the alternative is a six pack of beer. :hungry: I think kava has actually got me to respect and fear the law as it pertains to drinking and driving.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
If @Steve Mariotti says 4 oz gives him a buzz, then 4 oz is more than enough. Remember, this is a guy who can horse down a sleeve of Kava candies before he gets his kava on. So 4 oz for Steve would be 2 oz or less for me. That answers a lot of my own questions about dosage on the Kava with Kalm. I'm thinking of getting some to pack in my road warrior kit. It's a hassle trying to get my wife to fix me a bottle of Micronized when we are on the road. But she does it willingly because the alternative is a six pack of beer. :hungry: I think kava has actually got me to respect and fear the law as it pertains to drinking and driving.
I once had 5 drinks of KWK Concentrate back to back, and I was near-krunked. Not quite all the way, but definitely close. It CAN get me 95% of the way to a full kava session with just the concentrate alone. I normally don't drink it as a substitute for the traditionally prepared medium grind grog, just as a one or two glass relaxation drink after coming back from Costco, or as a kava session extender if I start a session earlier in the day on a weekend and wait to keep the ball rolling into the night.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I love this stuff. Been using this daily for 2 months now when we go to restaurants for lunch. At the restaurant I order a glass of ice tea and an extra empty glass. I pour the 4oz bottle of Kalm into the empty glass, then add a tablespoon or so of my favorite instant or micro and mix with a straw. The Kalm is thick enough to easily mix the other kava together. Then end result is kind of a paste, but not real thick. Then I pour the ice tea from the other glass into it. Mix some more with the straw and drink. The Kalm does three great things for me.
1) Makes it easy to easy to mix my kava into the ice tea (there's a word for that but it escapes at the moment),
2) gives the kava I'm using a balanced extra kick to it,
3) lastly (but not leastly) makes it 'very drinkable'. I would say it comes close to actually tasting good.

Almost all restaurants serve ice tea here, and no one has ever given me a problem doing this. As far as I'm concerned this is the only to go to lunch.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Don't remember if I said this already.... I bought a 64oz jug of this and they sent me some empty 4oz plastic bottles with the order. I refill and reuse the 4oz bottles from the jug. So I can make a weeks worth of shells in fridge ready to roll.

verticity

I'm interested in things
It's a hassle trying to get my wife to fix me a bottle of Micronized when we are on the road. But she does it willingly because the alternative is a six pack of beer.
You could...I don't know, this might be a radical idea...prepare your own micronized?

Status
Not open for further replies.