What's new

A True Confession or Caveat (kava) Potator

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
So after more than a decade of drinking kava, I've now experienced my first dermal reaction. My plunge into itchy skin and hives began with the purchase of a Magic Bucket. It seemed (and still does seem) the solution to my arthritic thumbs trying to squeeze out the delectable nectar of the gods. All was well...except for two things. First, the mass production of kava that the Magic Bucket enables meant that I had a rather large quantity of piper methysticum available to gulp. I went from 8 tablespoons per evening to about 12 tbsp. And then the Magic Bucket comes with a 75 mesh bag instead of my 100 mesh. So I increased consumption by 50% and decreased the amount of debris I was screening out. About a month of this new and improved routine (not) left me beginning to itch. Then bumps. Then hives. I blamed everything but kava. And kept on shelling. Until I had to pop into Urgent Care for a steroid shot which did work wonders. Now for the first time in 11 years I have not consumed kava for 9 days. True tragedy.:D It's been a slow process of slight daily improvement. I'll probably wait another week or so, or until every itch is gone, to start in again. My new program will be to make 3 quarts of kava in the Magic Bucket, the minimum. Then filter the kava a second time through a 100 mesh. And then just drink 8 or 9 shells. The kava made in the Magic Bucket has lasted six days in my fridge, so with the two of us drinking, it should be no problem consuming all we make. Its's so much fun to watch that thing work. One interesting thing: no kava withdrawal symptoms of any kind. It's a truly nonaddictive gift of the gods. And, the doctor had immediately ordered a liver panel blood test which showed a perfectly functioning liver 8 hours after my 12 tablespoons of kava. Looking forward to my shell next week...bula!