What's new

Medicinal Usage About kava and pulse

Woah123

I heard that kava kava is very good for somewhat structural heart problem that I have,for my valve prolapse and I want to ask you three questions:
What if I exceed the 300 mg therapeutic dose of kavalactones in a single day?
It's kava slowing/regulating your heart rate?And in what doses it produces tachycardia?
How much to feel euphoric first time?

I know that kava is safer than alcohol,and I want to give up on beer and other liquors and try this...:hungry:

D

Deleted User01

Woah123, Welcome to the Forum! We are experienced Kava Consumers here but we are not doctors. Those are medical questions and nobody here can answer those questions. Perhaps a doctor who is experienced with kava could answer them. Also, I have no idea how you can measure the mg of Kavalactones unless you are taking capsules that state the mgs of Kavalactones in each capsule. Kavalactones will vary between each Kava Strain with Kava Tea, Instant, or Micronized Kava.

By the way, because of your medical condition, you may want to consult your Heart Doctor before trying Kava. If you going to do it without Medical Supervision then please start with very small doses and listen to your body after every dose. Space out the dose at least an hour apart and give your body a chance to register the effect. You might even want to have a heart monitor handy to check your vitals. Go slow and be careful. If anyone here as a heart condition and uses Kava, you might want to chip in your experiences. And especially any information that was given to you by a Physician.

Again, questions concerning Heart Valves and Tachycardia are beyond the scope of what we can answer here. Please consult your physician.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Specific questions are hard to answer because there hasn't but much official research done on kava and all the various ways it can affect the human body. So, outside of the few studies around, we can only rely on anecdotal evidence from ourselves and the islanders that drink it all the time.
There's also no way to know how much it will take you to feel euphoric the 1st time. Some people hardly feel it when they start, some kavas are more euphoric than others, euphoria isn't the strongest aspect of kava,...
Possible heart problems aside, nothing is likely to happen by exceeding this supposed 300mg theraputic limit, if you feel like you need to. Many kava drinkers, here and the south pacific, probably consume 1,000 - 2,000 mg kavalactones.
I've never measured my heart rate. But if I make a strong batch, and feel like it's hit me hard, I get the sense like my heart is beating a bit harder. Despite feeling relaxed and sedated. I don't know if it actually is, or if I'm just more in tune with it.

Woah123

My doc' told me to avoid stimulants,large amounts of alcohol,and even smoking...So,I don't think kava will have any noticeable effects on my heart.I know it's a depressant,so probably it will help my heart to relax.I heard that someone consumed 4000 kavalactones just in 10 minutes,and he head tachycardia,but as you said,that's probably and overdose for even and experienced kava user(also it was his first time,so that's crazy) :yuck:Anyway,I'll take it gradually for my anxiety,thanx for your advices!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Those are some pretty awesome replies for that question. Not trying to deter you from kava but I believe alcohol is classified as a depressant as well. But being an alcoholic myself, I can definitely tell you from my personal experience, that I feel happy & healthy with kava but with alcohol, not so much....

D

Deleted User01

I too feel much better with Kava and I have cut way back on alcohol but I don't have a heart problem so I just don't feel comfortable telling you that Kava will help. I know that quitting alcohol will help. And quitting smoking will probably save your life. I just had a customer who smokes taken to the hospital. Its lung cancer and it already spread to her pancreas. Death Sentence just like that.

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well, I don't know much about how kava effects the heart. But I would love to say
wellcome.jpg
To the Kava Forums. I wish I had a better answer to your question, but Like @shakas said, just not a lot of research. Its sad but true. Not a lot of potential for large profits, from drug companies, doing research on Kava. Much love. Roaddog....

Woah123

Ok guys,but in your PERSONAL experience,you notice any difference?Some doctors recommended kava for my condition,it's just a genetic and minor disease,like 10-20% of population have that at some age :bookworm:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Personally, I've always found that kava increases my heart rate. This of course is at my nightly amount of 55 grams boroguru prepared traditionally with a medium grind.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Here's a little test I did last night...I made up a strong batch, well beyond 'thereputic'...when I was at full-tilt, I measured my heart rate with my fingers for 15 sec and multiplied it by 4. Each time, I got about 84 bpm.
For reference, I've previously recorded my heart rate on other days.
-When I feel 'fine' it's usually in the 60's
-When I feel noticeable (non-panic attack) anxiety symptoms it's in the low-mid 80's
-Last night, with strong kava dose, mid 80's.

So, to me, it appears that kava definitely raises the heart rate...at least on the high end. If I remember tonight, I'll measure it while having a more mild experience. I doubt it will be significant at that level.

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Good idea, shakas. I'll try this with my cardiograph app on my phone tonight. So far my resting rate is 67, which I'm sure will be much higher after kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@shakas good info. Last year when I was drinking alcohol I would measure my BP at the club and it was consistently in the high 80's to mid 90's. Now when I only use kava (no alcohol), my BP has dropped down to the high 60's low 70's. Not to sound like a broken record here, but although it's probably best not to consume anything (abstain), I totally believe from my personal experience, that if you were to make a choice between kava and alcohol, kava is the clear winner for me.

Woah123

Ok,I don't think I'll use strong doses then,I just want a mild buzz for my stress and anxiety(but even at very strong doses,I can observe that it's a very little difference like 10-20 increase in heart rate).I also consume valerian roots,so probably I'll combine it with kava to potentiate the sedation and well-being state.
Some people know said that it decreases the heart-rate in moderate amount,so probably I'll limit to that.I'm making decisions like these because I want to live longer(even If I'm only 23),I was diagnosed 2 years ago,I heavy used alcohol in my childhood and even some stimulants...)but better and more relaxed,because I'm facing stressfull situations almost every day...I gave up using benzos,because they are so addictive,and I'm looking for natural and safe way to get relaxed,calmed and more spiritual...I don't have any other major problems,and I drank some K@ tea without noticing dramatically effects on my pulse.Btw,great community you have there! ::aintthatnicez::

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Here's a little test I did last night...I made up a strong batch, well beyond 'thereputic'...when I was at full-tilt, I measured my heart rate with my fingers for 15 sec and multiplied it by 4. Each time, I got about 84 bpm.
For reference, I've previously recorded my heart rate on other days.
-When I feel 'fine' it's usually in the 60's
-When I feel noticeable (non-panic attack) anxiety symptoms it's in the low-mid 80's
-Last night, with strong kava dose, mid 80's.

So, to me, it appears that kava definitely raises the heart rate...at least on the high end. If I remember tonight, I'll measure it while having a more mild experience. I doubt it will be significant at that level.
Very interesting. I just took my heart rate, with no kava, after coming in to take a break, I read your post and decided to take my pulse. I'm at 88 BPM. Wonder how high that would go, on a good crunk? I am kicking benzos, and working heard earlier. But I'm not really having any anxiety right know. Had some this morning. Is 88 pretty high? Now you guys got me worried. I'm 41, I wouldn't mind squeezing a few more years, possibly decades, of life, just for kicks if nothing else. Much love. Roaddog....

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
Your reading could very likely be due to minor benzo withdrawal ...or you just haven't settled long enough, after doing some work.
Yeah what he said. When I work out my goal is a sustained 140 to 150 Heatbeat. I believe its good for heart exercise (cardio), but definitely not good for a regular standing or sitting heart rate.

Woah123

Yeah,even with my heart condition I experience the same benzo withdrawal,but mine is 85(some days)...That's nothing to be scared of,look for your blood pressure also!

BTW,88 isn't big deal!Nothing to worry,unless you really feel something it's wrong with your daily activity!I have theory that your body has been used to kava and that magic feeling too much time and you are more exposed to high pulse when you work hard (it's like a shock),lol sorry,I smoked a bowl and I'm a bit too much talkative :))(probably the last,because I ordered some good vanuatu root kava powder)

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well I guess Im all right then, Shells up ::happyshell::then. Just the heart is one of those things, you really need to keep healthy. My family already is proned to heart disease, and high bloud pressure. Its something I know I must prepare for. Also @Woah123 , nice avatar, there. Much love. Roaddog....