What's new

Kava Preparation About straining micronized kava

BourbonMac

I like herbs
I know this is kind of a polarizing argument. Some people insist there's no reason and that it's already safe in it's form but not everyone can stomach it.
Meanwhile it causes nausea and skin problems in a lot of people who found straining it helped.
I originally started with micronized and never strained it, I'd just dump 10-15g in some almond milk and try to break it up as best as I could, but it was so lumpy and clumpy. My stomach tolerated it find, but it caused absolutely immensely severe constipation after awhile. This didn't happen with medium grind, it's simply too much fiber to ingest and my stomach was in knots the first few times I did it, and I have a very strong stomach. Never felt nauseous from kava once in higher doses of micro or 60g of medium grind for instance, or like, 10 times the recommended amount of extract (I'm done with that stuff)

I got micronized to try because I wanted to give it another shot but this time strained. Some people do believe it should always be strained, like that Kavafied guy on YouTube, but maybe not all micro is that thick. When he opened his Aluball, it showed so much gunk left behind that you'd otherwise ingest.

I did this tonight, feeling pretty good. I'll see how my skin is tomorrow as I've bad some issues with it before. I can't really tell if my skin is irritated or not because there's this underlying placebo of expecting it. I did 12g, it didn't hit as fast as slamming it in a few sips and has been gradual. I did notice when I opened the AluBall just how much gunk was in there, it looked like wet beach sand, and there was more liquid in it than the kavafied guys so maybe I should've strained it for longer than a few minutes. I prefer the AluBall, traditional prep is only slightly more potent in my experience. I'd say if I really wanted to get krunk I'd have to do 15-20g of it. Kava was always a bit hit or miss for me though. I remember one time, I took 22g and felt little, the next day I took 10g and felt great. Personally reverse tolerance didn't seem to apply to me and I think it's somewhat of a myth in a way. Hard to really say.

Anyway, do any micro users on here strain their kava? I know some do, and I've seen some reddit posts recommending it as well. There's just no way it's consumable without because it is really damn thick and clumpy. I'd stir that for like 20 minutes and it'd still not make any difference.

I feel like I had probably 30g medium grind, so from 12g that isn't bad.

Last edited: