What's new

Adding fats to kava: another myth destroyed

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Hi all,
We've got another blog post presenting research by Forney/Root and Pestle on whether or not it makes sense to add fats to kava if you want to make your kava stronger/better.
My own gut feel has always been that no, it doesn't make sense. Even if kavalactones are "fat soluble" and you could get more out of your root, I always felt that the bag was getting coated in that fat and it was way harder to squeeze, so any additional lactones would be just coating the strainer bag. I guess the TLDR version of the post is that my gut feeling re broad answer was correct, but my logic/rationale was probably not correct. Either way, I would say this research proves it makes no sense to add fats to kava if you want to create a stronger drink, but I recommend reading the whole thing as it's a pretty good read with some novel insights: https://kavasociety.nz/blog/2024/8/...-a-stronger-drink-research-by-root-amp-pestle

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
Hi all,
We've got another blog post presenting research by Forney/Root and Pestle on whether or not it makes sense to add fats to kava if you want to make your kava stronger/better.
My own gut feel has always been that no, it doesn't make sense. Even if kavalactones are "fat soluble" and you could get more out of your root, I always felt that the bag was getting coated in that fat and it was way harder to squeeze, so any additional lactones would be just coating the strainer bag. I guess the TLDR version of the post is that my gut feeling re broad answer was correct, but my logic/rationale was probably not correct. Either way, I would say this research proves it makes no sense to add fats to kava if you want to create a stronger drink, but I recommend reading the whole thing as it's a pretty good read with some novel insights: https://kavasociety.nz/blog/2024/8/...-a-stronger-drink-research-by-root-amp-pestle
Wow..."almost all fatty additives resulted in lower total kavalactone extraction efficiency, decreasing the total amount of kavalactones extracted by up to 17%, and by 9% on average, compared to kava prepared using water alone." Worth reading.