What's new

Alcohol and Kava- Newbie Looking For Advice

sbu2011

Newbie here. Sorry if this is in the wrong spot.

I am planning to try my first batch this week ever of kava. However at this point in my Life, I don’t intend to fully phase out alcohol. I will always space them out, but my question is- by how much is safe, when we’re talking about still occasionally do some heavy drinking of alcohol?

For instance- I’m thinking about a session Tuesday and Thursday this week. The following weekend- as in 8 days later- I have a wedding with out of town guests. Result is going to be binge drinking for 3 nights.

Will I be safe to drink alcohol heavily that distance apart- or would you recommend saving kava for another point in time when I am phasing out binging altogether, or have weeks on end to separate the two? All the info I find seems to be people referring to having a “few” drinks, not heavier sessions.

Or, am I just royally overthinking this?

sbu2011

Howdy welcome to KF, 24 hours between one and the other is the standard recommended.
That’s the consensus I’ve found too. So my question is, is a week an Uber safe Buffer regardless of how much alcohol will be consumed? As in, 1 week later, Kava is so far removed from your system that distant memory would be vastly overstating it? I’ve found different schools of thought on how long kava lasts in your system.

Appreciate your help!

sbu2011

Fair enough. It certainly did come off a bit holier than thu, but I understand written text can be complicated. Water under the bridge.

In any case, suffice to say I decided it was not the right time for me to take the plunge. I’ll be looking to after the holiday season passes when plans die down significantly, and any plans I have are of the moderation variety to take my stab here.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
8 days apart is beyond plenty of time. For my personal experience I think 24 hours isn’t enough to fully “keep them apart” but ymmv. 48 hours seems very safe, 72 I imagine would eliminate all risk of added harm.