What's new

Alcohol kills 6 Americans a day

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
Anyone that lives in tropics could grow a Kava plant, where's the patents and money making in that for the big corporations.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I was reading this earlier. Most studies focus on young people, but although they are much more likely to engage in binge drinking, the progressive nature liver damage in heavy drinkers as well as the obesity epidemic reduces the dose required to kill someone. Pretty messed up stuff.

blindy107

Kava Lover
That's just poisoning right? Not to mention stomach cancer, throat cancer, heart problems, cirrhosis, hepatitis, auto accidents and alcohol withdrawal...

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Anyone that lives in tropics could grow a Kava plant, where's the patents and money making in that for the big corporations.
People can brew their own booze too, and it's probably easier. I agree wit the theme of this thread though, it's crazy that some people would want to ban all herbs with zero fatalities (I can think of at least 4 including kava that have been either banned or have ben threatened) but ignore the real threats such as alcohol and poisonous chemicals in our daily food.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I agree with @Deleted User - no point in demonising alcohol. Moderate drinking is actually likely healthier than not drinking at all ("A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking" http://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-than-drinking-scientist-claims-9271010.html) . The newspaper article sums up some of these arguments, but in a slightly sensationalist way. If you want a more scientific overview then look at Dr Kari Polikolainen's book (http://www.perfectdrinking.com/) in which he explain, for example, that what truly matters is the way in which we drink and not mere amounts.

Kava is generally a much safer substance than alcohol, but its enjoyment will also depend on the way in which one consumes it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean D.

Kava Enthusiast
True about responsible alcohol use. But I do wonder about addictive substances like alcohol and tobacco being where the money is.