What's new

Alluball strength questions

Gabbadict

Kava Curious
Hi everyone,

I've just started my kava journey last night and have tried the alluball method only. I started off with melo melo from kava Australia which feelt really good with 1 ball, however I was wondering what others opinions are on using 2 balls by mixing 2tbs In the alluball in about 250ml of water then shaking for 60secs, taking the ball out washing it and then re do the 2 tbls serving again, add to the first shake of water and go again for 60 secs then serve?? It would be much appreciated to here others opinions on this 2 ball method for a stronger brew? Sometimes the one ball serving doesn't feel enough? Then I can do a second wash?
Is a 2 ball brew worth the grog or should I just stick to the one ball with 2tbs and 250ml water and a second wash?

P.s I've just done a double aluball and it definitely yyyy hits harder lol! But in a mice way.

Cheers

Last edited:

Vuniwai

Kava Curious
The most important thing with the Aluball is to make sure enough water washes through the ball. You don't want to pack it to tightly. The most I will usually put in an Aluball if only filling it half way. If you want to increase the strength of your wash - add hot water but never over 135 degrees F. Kavalactones breakdown at 140 degrees F, then you are only drinking muddy river water with no benefit. You can temp your water with a BBQ thermometer. The other way to increase the strength of you kava is to add a splash of Almond milk, coconut milk or whole milk. it has to be a milk with fat in it. It will pull more of the kavalactones out of the fibers. I usually shake my ball for about a minute, add some of the milk and then shake for another 30 seconds. Gets the most out of your kava. The strength of the kava you purchased will also make a difference. I've started using Micronized from TUI KAVA if you like Heady kavas. Just add a teaspoon to your liquid and down it.
An alternative that also increases strength a bit is using a blender, but you still have to filter.