What's new

Aluball and sediment

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - I typically use an aluball and shaker when making kava. I’ve used the same aluballs for about 2 years and am noticing sediment at the bottom of my glass when drinking, although I don’t remember how long it’s been this way. Is that a sign it’s time for new aluballs? Additionally, do people drink the sediment? I’m finding that if I don’t, I typically don’t get nausea from drinking kava, but also don’t feel the effects as intensely. I’m happy with that compromise since the nausea can be rough sometimes. Just curious for your thoughts. Thanks!

Kavaloloko

Kavaloloko Kava Co.
Kava Vendor
Hi all - I typically use an aluball and shaker when making kava. I’ve used the same aluballs for about 2 years and am noticing sediment at the bottom of my glass when drinking, although I don’t remember how long it’s been this way. Is that a sign it’s time for new aluballs? Additionally, do people drink the sediment? I’m finding that if I don’t, I typically don’t get nausea from drinking kava, but also don’t feel the effects as intensely. I’m happy with that compromise since the nausea can be rough sometimes. Just curious for your thoughts. Thanks!

The sediment is normal to have. It's what makes the Kava. Well, to me at least.
Kava settles when you let it sit so give it a good stir before each drink.

To some people the sediment makes them nauseous so they use a strainer that blocks out all or most of the sediment.
Doing this will give you Kava that isn't as strong as it should be.

So its a two thumbs up for me on drinking the sediment lol

the_wilderness

Kava Enthusiast
There's a happy medium with the sediment, you want the last place before just too much nausea. My aluballs gave up the ghost at exactly 2 years, so I'd be checking the integrity. 100 micron strainer is my happy place

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Depends on how much sediment.
If there is a lot, then there's probably a tear and leak in your ball or balls, and it needs to be replaced.
Do a maintenance check on them :)