What's new

Aluball vs Traditional Preparation

Adam44

Kava Curious
I haven't used a blender in a long time, I use the aluball but mostly traditional prep. @Adam44 many people use more then one aluball at a time, so if you go that route, you can get similar effects without a traditional prep.
Ya I need around 50 each dose though, how many balls would be best for this?

violet

Do all things with love
Weights are variable, but 50 grams is nearly a half cup of ground root for me, so 8 levels tbls or maybe 4-5 heaping ones. If traditional prep techniques aren't solid might be able to use less than 50 grams.

@Adam44 Are you using the Kava King instant as the benchmark for 50 grams? It wouldn't really be comparable to a similar amount of medium grind, because it contains a good bit of fillers in addition to micronized kava, and different varieties and forms of kava will have spectrums of effects that don't readily translate with one another when considering the amounts needed.

Adam44

Kava Curious
Weights are variable, but 50 grams is nearly a half cup of ground root for me, so 8 levels tbls or maybe 4-5 heaping ones. If traditional prep techniques aren't solid might be able to use less than 50 grams.

@Adam44 Are you using the Kava King instant as the benchmark for 50 grams? It wouldn't really be comparable to a similar amount of medium grind, because it contains a good bit of fillers in addition to micronized kava, and different varieties and forms of kava will have spectrums of effects that don't readily translate with one another when considering the amounts needed.
No I use gHK now and I added 10 gs to my usual dose to make up for the lower potency

VictoryRider

Kava Enthusiast
Question: I remember a thread a while back where someone made a "poor man's aluball" by just putting a couple of
TBSP of kava into a nylon and trying the top shut, putting into a standard sport-shake bottle and shaking.

Does anyone know if that works?

Bob Chill

Kava Curious
I'm only 3 weeks into my kava use but I really like the aluball. I've been doing 2 separate batches with a single ball and it mostly fills a 1.5 liter plastic bottle. I do 2 washes each ball and just combine it into 1 bottle of grog. Seems to hit all the right notes when I drink it over 3 hours or so.

From reading many of the vet posts on here I really think I'm a lightweight. I'm not exactly sure how much fits in an aluball (2 tbsp?). So around 4tbsp of medium grind hits me really good a lasts a good while.

I'm probably going to invest in 2 more aluballs without the shaker. My wife has blender ball bottles sitting around and they seem pretty sturdy compared to the one that comes with the ball.

So far I've had Mo'i, Hanapaki Ai, and Squanch Waka med grind and like all 3 very much. I'm finding med grind to be more effective than micronized and I've grown to actually kinda like the taste so I don't chug anymore. Just drink it like a regular beverage. lol.

Reactions: EQ

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I've been finding that two Aluballs (2 Tbsp in each) just isn't giving me the affects I'm looking for. I can only seem to stomach so much prepared Kava volume wise. So now I'm doing the following:

Two Aluballs, each with 2 Tbsp medium grind with a cup and a half of Welch's orange pineapple juice for the first wash. Dump that into a glass and do a second wash with just a cup of the juice. I then leave that wash in the shaker, take the balls out, empty them and reload them each with 2 more Tbsp and shake again for a minute and a half. Then dump that into my glass and do one more wash with another cup of juice.

This has been producing VERY strong affects for me. The initial rush/onset is almost more than I'm looking for during the week but it only lasts 20 mins or so then levels off.

I'm even considering trying micronized again to get a more potent grog with less liquid volume. I just worry about the increased financial costs over medium grind.