What's new

Alubottle Leaks

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I've had to stop using my Alubottle because after the 100th time of flinging kava water all over my floor and furniture, I had to accept that it was always going to leak. I don't think it matters how tightly I screw the lids on, one or both pieces seem to trap and release liquid whenever I shake it. I told anyone that would listen how great the Alubottle was when it came out but now it just makes me crazy. Originally, my only complaint was that it was a little too big for my seemingly normal sized hands. I had to switch back to my original Aluball bottle which also leaks (but not as easily), isn't quite big enough, and likes to destroy the Aluballs themselves. I just ordered the four pack of replacement balls and they very kindly sent me an extra one for free. It was as if they could sense that I would need it soon.

Anyone had these issues and found a solution? Is it something obvious that I'm missing?

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I've had to stop using my Alubottle because after the 100th time of flinging kava water all over my floor and furniture, I had to accept that it was always going to leak. I don't think it matters how tightly I screw the lids on, one or both pieces seem to trap and release liquid whenever I shake it. I told anyone that would listen how great the Alubottle was when it came out but now it just makes me crazy. Originally, my only complaint was that it was a little too big for my seemingly normal sized hands. I had to switch back to my original Aluball bottle which also leaks (but not as easily), isn't quite big enough, and likes to destroy the Aluballs themselves. I just ordered the four pack of replacement balls and they very kindly sent me an extra one for free. It was as if they could sense that I would need it soon.

Anyone had these issues and found a solution? Is it something obvious that I'm missing?
Both my V2 and V1 alubottles leak occasionally. And yes, the V2 bottle is too big for my little hands so I often resort to V1. I've found that using warm water makes the bottle leak a lot more. But I also keep checking the seal on the V1 lid. Sometimes it comes loose and you just have to push it back into the groove. It could be that your bottle has come to the end of its useful life. Just use a regular blender bottle. Works for me.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
#doubleballer for life. I also always use warm water. I’d have to get a larger blender bottle but that is a simple solution. I just hate to add more plastic to the trash heap if there’s any possible way of fixing it. Plus, I like supporting that company since they’ve alway been really good to me. It’s been doing this for a while and considering how little I’ve used it, that seems premature. I suppose gaskets care more about time than use sometimes so since I did get mine the day they were announced on KF, maybe it’s time.

*I should point out that I know that using two balls in the V1 is not ideal. It was great in the V2 until it turned on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just use cheap plastic sandwich bags. You put it across the top of the bottle and then screw the top on. Forms a great seal. Your bottle will last much longer and especially your AluBalls!

Ibbygirl told me about this here at KF a couple years ago and I have been doing it ever since. Miss her. A lot.

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
Just use cheap plastic sandwich bags. You put it across the top of the bottle and then screw the top on. Forms a great seal. Your bottle will last much longer and especially your AluBalls!

Ibbygirl told me about this here at KF a couple years ago and I have been doing it ever since. Miss her. A lot.
I assume you’re talking about the V1? I guess that might work for both versions but without being able to use the pour spouts on the lids.

Thanks for the tip. Ideally I get the V2 to work because it was designed much better for use with the Aluball. I may see if I can just push some plastic wrap into the gasket channels so I don’t lose the functionality of the spout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zaphod

Kava Lover

I found that mine was just fine on the first shake - when the rim was completely dry. After that with subsequent shakes if the rim was not dried off first it had a hard time sealing. It is also really tough to get it completely dry. Now I use a problender bottle to shake. It seals up much tighter than the alubottle and doesn't care if the rim is wet. The genius in the system is the aluball - use whatever bottle you like!

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast

I had that problem too. Now I just use one of the shakers bottles for protein shakes - the kind that usually come with a metal shaker ball. They have a nice wide mouth for adding the aluball (I use 2 or three) and once you screw the lid on, no leaks. The kind I have had a nice snap close pour spout. It is perfect with the aluball s, I think.

Also happens to be easier for me to manipulate. The alubottle was very hard for me to grasp and unscrew the lid - I probably have smaller and weaker hands than a former nfl player!

evrnd

Kava Enthusiast
I ended up trying the Krunkie/Ibbygirl method and, while it does work, it makes the gigantic lid almost impossible to unscrew. That thing really is massive and it was hard enough before. I understand the rationale for the size of the bottle but maybe making a two-piece lid (the "shell" part comes off no problem) without any sort of real grips for those without giant hands, wasn't the best design choice.
So I'm also torn because I hate unnecessary waste, especially plastic. So my options are: I throw out 100s of thin sheets of it (plastic wrap, in two different size pieces, one for each gasket but as little as possible thus far) or dump the giant Alubottle while the rest of the thing's integrity seems like it will last for 200 years. I'm sure a tall shaker bottle would fix the issue but for the life of me, I can't figure out why those gaskets work better than the Alubottle ones. I already own a few small ones for protein but none tall enough for two Aluballs.
Thanks for the input everyone.

Crunked

Proselytizer
Yes, the Alubottle version 2 is a dud product. I have two, given to me as a present. I don't use them because they leak like a colander. Any cheap shaker bottle will work, but not these bottles. How they released them to the market without testing such a fundamental requirement, I don't know but a shaker bottle should not leak. Complete waste of money.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
$10 for a bottle that seals up tighter than...nvm keep this family friendly:angelic. I use this with 1-2 aluballs all the time and it works great. No leaks. Bonus if your into microgrind you can toss it in with the steel shaker ball to help mix up that gritty grog.
Amazon product