What's new

Alubottle shedding plastic

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
Hey all, I have had a problem with my alubottle. I seem to find black flakes of plastic in my brewed kava. This has now made it impossible to enjoy kava without the fear that its contaminated. Should I just get a strainer bag?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Are you sure it's coming from the Alubottle ?
Is your Alubottle or balls black ? If neither of them are black, it may not be the cause.
The only other source of black color besides the bottle or balls itself, would be the "print", but that's only on the outside of the container.
If it's coming from the bottle or balls, I would think you'd be able to find the source of where the plastic chipped off, by finding the areas that's missing the black plastic. If you can't find such "missing areas" then maybe it's from another cause, like the kava itself ?
I've always used the original Aluball maker, not the newer Alubottle, and have never ever had that problem.
First I'd contact Kavafied and see how they can help

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I’m willing to bet you’re using an Alubottle Pro - mine has the same exact issue. The plastic flakes come from the inside of the lid - where the aluball(s) meet it when shaking. A possible way to counter this is to use plastic wrap underneath the lid and then screwing it on so the balls don’t ever meet the lid - but you’ll have to be cautious not to let them break through the wrap. If you’re using a regular alubottle, not sure where the problem would be coming from as I've never had an issue with it. In fact, I went from the pro bottle back to a regular because it doesn’t have that problem. But I won’t lie, I miss the pro bottle. Cleaner design, more efficient, less harsh on the aluballs, but the plastic chips ruin it.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I would report the issue to kavafied because this has been an ongoing complaint that the forum has been hearing about for many months now.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Hey all, I have had a problem with my alubottle. I seem to find black flakes of plastic in my brewed kava. This has now made it impossible to enjoy kava without the fear that its contaminated. Should I just get a strainer bag?
Check out:
https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/product-warning-pro-bottle.15013/
Not a new issue....
My recommendation is to not use the shaker bottles. I have the first iteration, and it leaked all the time. I bought a pro-blender bottle and it works much better. The genius of the aluball is the balls themselves.