What's new

Kava Preparation Alubottle vs kneading

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
I’m new to this but it’s been a week so far of experimenting and I’m finding that using a bag yields a way more potent extraction. Is this the common consensus among members here as well?

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Haven't had a chance to experiment in the aluball with that one. I think Squanch would go nicely in it.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
You may be over filling the balls in general... squanch is strong enough that it should still be potent even with a half assed shake lol.
Fill the aluballs themselves 2/3rd of one side only full and use 2 balls and then use luke warm water and shake rigorously as you go to work or whatever .. let it sit for a few minutes and look .. see if theirs shit settling on the sides or bottom .. if so shake again and drink .. if not keep shaking. Or you over filled it

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
If you have two AluBalls, I find you get a better grog using 1 TBS in each rather than 2 TBS in a single ball. Having more space in the ball makes for a better extraction, IME.

Here's what I would suggest, if you want to make up 4 TBS of grind: use 1 TBS in each of two balls and 300 ml water. Shake for 1 minute, then pour in a jar. Then use 150 ml for a second wash and shake for two minutes, then pour in that jar. Repeat with a couple TBS of fresh grind, one in each ball. That makes a pretty decent grog, IMO.

Of course, save all makas in your freezer container for mongrel grog, which is as good or better.

Ben Thomas

Kava Enthusiast
If you have two AluBalls, I find you get a better grog using 1 TBS in each rather than 2 TBS in a single ball. Having more space in the ball makes for a better extraction, IME.

Here's what I would suggest, if you want to make up 4 TBS of grind: use 1 TBS in each of two balls and 300 ml water. Shake for 1 minute, then pour in a jar. Then use 150 ml for a second wash and shake for two minutes, then pour in that jar. Repeat with a couple TBS of fresh grind, one in each ball. That makes a pretty decent grog, IMO.

Of course, save all makas in your freezer container for mongrel grog, which is as good or better.
I made a huge batch using all my makas last night. Two bags full, five washes! Drank it all lol

I really want to take a couple nights a week and go back to traditional prep. There is something about it. Kinda paying respect to the roots or something like that? BUT, the Aluball is the greatest invention (discovery) since Penicillin.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I really want to take a couple nights a week and go back to traditional prep. There is something about it. Kinda paying respect to the roots or something like that? BUT, the Aluball is the greatest invention (discovery) since Penicillin.
why not do both? I use AluBall for the first two washes and the trad prep the next four washes. Best of both worlds and a lot more grog than either on its own.

Last edited:

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
why not do both? I use AluBall for the first two washes and the trad prep the next four washes. Best of both worlds and a lot more grog than either on its own.
I like traditional prep with a combination of blending and then kneading, on the other hand, 4 aluballs inside the alubottle will produce similar effects.

I’m finding 4tbs in the alu just kina weak
Are you using multiple balls in your bottle? Or just making doses back to back and adding them? I just have an AluBall comin tomorrow (supposed to have been today damn usps... It was ordered through Amazon early on Wed the 7th), i made another order way later that same day from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava and already received it yesterday and it shipped from Hawaii... I specifically decided to try kava again because i saw the AluBall Maker and it being a game changer for me due to its AWESOME boost in convenience and does so without sacrificing the effects of traditionally prepared method. I will eventually purchase a second, maybe third AluBall as not to cancel out any convenience by having to refill the single ball 2-3 times and shake em separately for my desired dose.