What's new

Kava Accessory Review AluBottle

Crunked

Proselytizer
I was given two new Alubottles (v2) for Valentine's Day (although the bottles were purchased just before Xmas). I previously used the Alubottle v1 and Aluballs but after some experimentation I just used the aluballs in a standard shaker. The Alubottle v1 would sometimes leak a little, especially if I held it by the soft sides. I was also concerned about the possibility of the base cracking. Anyway, I was looking forward to the 'new and improved' version 2.
The pros:
  • It is a big capacity bottle with an inbuilt cup (shell);
  • It makes less noise when I shake it (wife friendly);
  • Makes a good brew.
The cons:
  • This baby leaks and I mean badly. I have tried screwing the cap and the cup on super tight - so tight they are difficult to remove - but it still leaks badly. The leak is from the the cap, not the cup.
  • The longer length makes it impractical to shake the bottle sideways for more than a few seconds. The old bottle, or any standard shaker bottle, does not have this issue. With other bottles I would shake vigorously in a the horizontal position for 20 seconds each in the right hand, then the left hand and finally in the vertical position. It made a good brew. Now I can really only shake well in the vertical position which is more tiring and it still leaks badly.
  • I can prevent the leakage by placing a small freezer bag over the bottle and then screwing on the cap and cup but I really think I shouldn't have to do that to a bottle that is intended to be shaken.
Has anyone else had a problem with the new bottles leaking?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I use the original AluBall system and never have leaks because I always use a plastic sandwich baggie so that it forms a perfectly tight seal between the screws on the lid and the bottle. Also protects the balls during use. When shaking I do not hold by the bottle, but rather by the rim, but with my forefinger on the cap.

Stonth

Kava Curious
Yeah,

I have the original and the top leaks when I shake it sometimes. I'm only using it until I get out of my dorm.

I usually shake it up in the shared shower. ;P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnoopyDL

I have the new AluBottle and have only had leaks once when I didn’t have the top all the way. triple check that you can’t tighten the top on any tighter. Also if you use super hot liquid I believe it will temporarily increase the flexibility of the plastic used in the top causing leakage.

Crunked

Proselytizer
I have the new AluBottle and have only had leaks once when I didn’t have the top all the way. triple check that you can’t tighten the top on any tighter. Also if you use super hot liquid I believe it will temporarily increase the flexibility of the plastic used in the top causing leakage.
(1) I have tried tightening the cup and the cap so tight it is very difficult to remove. It still leaks badly.
(2) I only use room temperature water.
Maybe you are lucky - or I am unlucky.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
(1) I have tried tightening the cup and the cap so tight it is very difficult to remove. It still leaks badly.
(2) I only use room temperature water.
Maybe you are lucky - or I am unlucky.
I'm wondering if you possibly got a defective unit. Have you contacted Matt to see about it? It's my understanding that the leaking issue was related to hot water, and if you're using room temp it makes me think maybe you've got one that fell outside of specs a little (enough to cause leaks).

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I'm wondering if you possibly got a defective unit. Have you contacted Matt to see about it? It's my understanding that the leaking issue was related to hot water, and if you're using room temp it makes me think maybe you've got one that fell outside of specs a little (enough to cause leaks).
mine would leak if I didn't use the baggie. No prob, it protects the balls. I'm glad it leaks or it would break my balls. It's an ill wind that blows no good....