What's new

Analysis of GHK Micronized and a New Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User01

I have been using Micronized in my recipes for a few weeks and I really haven’t given it much thought. Now I’m ready to analyze it. This is the Freshly Harvested Honokane Iki from Gourmet Hawaiian Kava.

I took a bit of instant and put it on the side and a bit of micronized and put it on the side, they are both Honokane Iki. So the first thing I noticed is that the instant is darker. So I start digging around the micronized looking for fibers. I used a magnifying glass as well. I found nothing to distinguish the two. Really, they both looked like instant under the Mag Glass.

Next test, I put a small amount of micronized in a bit of water and swirled it. It had a light brown color. I gulped it down. No discernible flavor. I expected some kind of strong Kava flavor but there was none. Now I can get on with business and mix it in a drink.

Chocolate Caramel Kava Soda
4 oz. Milk.
2 Tabs of Chocolate Syrup
1 tablespoon of Torani Caramel Syrup (the small bottle was like 2.99, they have lots of flavors)
1 tab of Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Honokane Iki Micronized.
Add these ingredients and stir well.
Add Ice.
Top off with Plain Old Club Soda.

It’s good and its light. Good thing I didn’t add a scoop of ice cream. I did another one with 1.5 tablespoons and I got into a very nice place. Almost too nice because I lost my concentration several times while writing this. I really enjoy sipping on Kava drinks during the day. It’s way less stressful then trying to force down a shell every 20 minutes.

More on the Micronized Kava:
No Nausea. You would think that drinking 2 chocolate sodas with that much Micronized would cause discomfort but I got nothing. I will say this. I have a friend who has IBS. The doctor told her to take Metamucil and it tore her up. If you have IBS, I do not recommend micronized.

The first time I had Micronized Kava, it was grittier. Both my eyesight analysis and my throat analysis tells me that the latest version is very pure and completely devoid of extraneous fiber. If it wasn’t as pure as it is, I would have second thoughts about it because then it would be toss and wash material.

Here are my conclusions. When you drink Micronized Kava, you are assimilating all the Kavalactones in the powder. Nothing is wasted. So 2.5 tablespoons easily replaces my estimated 5 tablespoons of powder. Then we add the other benefits: No preparation and no gagging on foul tasting grog. Then the cost analysis, .5 pound of Micronized Kava is 50.00 and .5 pound of powder is 25.00. So it’s a break even money wise except the Micronized is way more convenient to drink and it mixes well with all our Kava Kocktails. It’s a nobrainer for me at the moment but time will tell.

Yes, I totally understand, you are not going to give up your Grog and your ritual. In my case, I’m looking for time savings, convenience, and potency during the day and I found it. By the way, I’m still doing Grog because I have a pound of Papa Kea screaming my name. (Yes, the Kava talks to you and sometimes it screams at you).

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Deleted User01, nice post, thanks for posting it. I know that the instant and the micronized seem the same but the instant is finer than the micronized, the micronized is more gritty than the instant. Even if you can't see it too much if you use micron screens you will see the difference.
Bus with the micronized you do seem to get a more potent cup of kava. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

ApéroNoble

The d'Artagnan forum 4th Kavateer
"No Nausea. You would think that drinking 2 chocolate sodas with that much Micronized would cause discomfort but I got nothing. I will say this. I have a friend who has IBS. The doctor told her to take Metamucil and it tore her up. If you have IBS, I do not recommend micronized."

Thanks for the detailed write up Deleted User01, one question does your friend get on ok with the instant

D

Deleted User01

Chris at GHK mentions above that even though the micronized is very fine, it still has fiber. The instant is prepared by drying out the liquid grog. It's funny how doctors always tell people with IBS to eat fiber. They do that and then it kills them. I can't say for sure if instant would be ok or not. I will say this, if you can do powder then you can easily do instant. FYI, the Mo'i instant is heady and perfect for daytimers. Violet told me that she has been mixing both instant and micronized together and she is getting to the point where she can't stand the taste of grog anymore. :eek:

D

Deleted User01

Almost no taste at all CanAwa. I did my taste test with pure water. When you couple that with convenience and potency then you can see why the Kavateers luv the stuff. Chris has been educating me on how the Micronized is made and evidently he has some kind of proprietary process that ruptures the cell walls of the Kava so you get the full load. But nobody wants a full load of Kavalactones, do they? ..... or do they ....:rolleyes:

D

Deleted User01

In the case of GHK, there is no bad stuff that I could find. He filters the fool out of it. I went over it with a magnifying glass and found nothing. You would have to have a microscope to find anything. The Kavateers have been doing it like crazy and not one complaint. One thing CanAwa, when you do Hawaiian, you won't say, "Whoa that's Peppery".:ROFLMAO:
KavaGurl was waving her checkbook in front of Chris the other day and she was after the micronized. That's one review that I'm looking forward to reading. I'll bet he sold our little sister the "good stuff".

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
But by ingesting all the kava do you not get all the bad stuff as well ?
Yes that would be true if you have a micronized kava that still has the course fibers in it, most that sell or make micronized will take the dry root and grind it all up to a fine powder, this is what will cause the nausea and dermopathy and other unwanted things. When I process my micronized I take out all the course fibers in the lateral roots, you can see some pictures that I posted that show the big fibers that I take out of the lateral root before I grind the kava--http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/some-more-pictures-of-hawaiian-awa-kava.2100/
And this post shows some pictures of the powders, including 2 different micronized kava's that are not mine, you can see in the pictures the course particles, this is what is missing from my kava, I take it out and it makes a better kava, truly a Gourmet kava. (y)
--http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/different-grinds-experiment-with-pictures.1959/
I hope this helps to explain about the micronized kava. Let me know if you folks have any questions at all. Aloha.
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/different-grinds-experiment-with-pictures.1959/
Chris

D

Deleted User01

Yes, I see that. Thanks for clearing it up. I was also a teeny bit worried the first time I did the Micronized but now it's my favorite way to consume Kava.
"Now you know the rest of the story". Paul Harvey.
"Ya get what ya pay for". Deleted User01

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
That clears it up Chris thanks!! Is that your extract shown in the pic?
Yes that is some of the last bit of my CO2 extract I have left. Do you think I should put some up on my website?
I wonder how many people would be interested in this? I have enough for a short run on my website.(y)
Aloha.

Chris

TidyMinion

Kava Padawan
totally sold on the micronized. i debated it on my most recent purchase but went with the Iki powder. sounds like everyone is on board that the mic. is at least 2x potent as powder so its totally worth the more $ up front. sounds great for mixing the Kava Kitchen is leading us into the Enlightened Age of Kava consumption. 3 cheers! or more like 3 Bulas!

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
Yes that is some of the last bit of my CO2 extract I have left. Do you think I should put some up on my website?
I wonder how many people would be interested in this? I have enough for a short run on my website.(y)
Aloha.

Chris
I think you should !! Unless you wanna horde it for yourself !!

D

Deleted User01

GHK could post the price, quantity, and strain here on the forum and members could email Chris if they are interested. If the response is good, I'm sure he would be more than happy to put it on his site for sale. As it is, I'm already having trouble keeping up with all his the strains and types. Extract would be the 4th type.

Kristy

Kava Curious
I ordered the Honokane lki micronized . What should I expect from it . I'm trying to find a review .

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.