What's new

Kava Preparation Another newbie question

Smudge

Can u prepare ( knead) a batch in advance?? Or do you need to prepare immediately before drinking ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
It's better if you make it right before drinking, but fresh grog can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 days and still be very good. For longer storage than that you can freeze it.

I will often make a whole weekend's worth on Friday afternoon, stock the fridge and then not worry about it.

Smudge

It's better if you make it right before drinking, but fresh grog can be stored in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 days and still be very good. For longer storage than that you can freeze it.

I will often make a whole weekend's worth on Friday afternoon, stock the fridge and then not worry about it.
I called my local cooking store and they have a 200 micron mesh bag. Will this work? On kava time they said I needed a 70 micron straining mesh bag?!? I used cheese cloth and it was kind of a mess

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I called my local cooking store and they have a 200 micron mesh bag. Will this work? On kava time they said I needed a 70 micron straining mesh bag?!? I used cheese cloth and it was kind of a mess

It'll work but you might not like it.

The reason a good bag is important is to filtre the grog the way YOU like it. In general, though, a wider mesh is more likely to lead to stomach problems, nausea, and dermo. So yes, some people are fine with 200 micron, just as some people are fine with micro or toss n wash. Most people prefer a 75 or 80 micron bag, though it really only matters in regards to what you prefer. Maybe try a few different ones? Or just go with 75 for the heck of it? Whatever you prefer.

Except for cheesecloth, that is universally recognized as a failure. Even an old t-shirt would be better.

Smudge

It'll work but you might not like it.

The reason a good bag is important is to filtre the grog the way YOU like it. In general, though, a wider mesh is more likely to lead to stomach problems, nausea, and dermo. So yes, some people are fine with 200 micron, just as some people are fine with micro or toss n wash. Most people prefer a 75 or 80 micron bag, though it really only matters in regards to what you prefer. Maybe try a few different ones? Or just go with 75 for the heck of it? Whatever you prefer.

Except for cheesecloth, that is universally recognized as a failure. Even an old t-shirt would be better.
Great info.. thank u!!