What's new

I Love Kava Friday Another one down!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Let me formally welcome everyone to this most special of occasions

FRIDAY!!

Another week in the bag, and another weekend on deck. I hope everyone has a fantastic one. Hoping to see the back of my eyelids as much as physically possible, but you know how that goes.

Bula/Malok!

DALL·E 2022-11-04 07.10.43 -  a pencil and water color drawing of sloths having a party while ...png

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Got some GorGor & Kelai from Art of Kava.
One night with each so far and Gorgor is the
current winner. I normally wouldn’t buy Kelai
but I think this one said it was 425xxx. Puariki
was more potent than both, but gorgor is pretty close and I might end up liking it better.
::happyshell::
B11D0C2B-33B7-4822-BE88-CD4FD0CA3C42.jpeg

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
425 Kelai? I think that was the first batch that we saw not line up with what we were expecting, then the subsequent batches have shown what we would normally see.

Currently Art of Kava's Kelai shows to be 421653

1667579023674.png

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Malok all! I love their GorGor as featured in the Karuna Kava Spiced Mint. That's my favorite selection from them. I go to work today to start off the weekend, exciting! Love the photos. Cool chart Kapmkrunk. Is the type of math available in excel also found elsewhere? I remember one time finding a non-windows version of excel however I don't know if it worked or not. I imagine for your chart you are having everything in column three added to produce the result in cell titled "Total KL%", and then having the K/DHM and K/(KL%-K)*100 functions incorporated as well.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Malok all! I love their GorGor as featured in the Karuna Kava Spiced Mint. That's my favorite selection from them. I go to work today to start off the weekend, exciting! Love the photos. Cool chart Kapmkrunk. Is the type of math available in excel also found elsewhere? I remember one time finding a non-windows version of excel however I don't know if it worked or not. I imagine for your chart you are having everything in column three added to produce the result in cell titled "Total KL%", and then having the K/DHM and K/(KL%-K)*100 functions incorporated as well.
Technically this is the free online version by google. Google Sheets.

You can see my entire collection here:
In regards to the numbers I use exactly the numbers that are given on the lab COAs, so the KL% is straight off the report, and so are the % amounts of the kavalactones.

Here's the numbers and cell values I used:

1667579859534.png

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
425 Kelai? I think that was the first batch that we saw not line up with what we were expecting, then the subsequent batches have shown what we would normally see.

Currently Art of Kava's Kelai shows to be 421653

Oh yeah, it's the high 1 and low 3 that made me buy it, normally I wouldn't buy Kelai cuz it's typically too light and empty feeling to me.
I haven't noticed any distinct DMY effect to it yet though, we'll see. It does have a unique flavor, one that I've only tasted a couple other times in all my years of kava. Kind of like chlorinated tap water...Kava Supreme and BKH melo had that same taste around 2019.

AoK's Dokobana is the one that's 425xxx and I think N@H claim to have that chemotype too. I'm always curious about high K / high DHM since it seems like it should be my favorite.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I just arrived in Chuuk, Micronesia for 5 months work. They drink kava/sakau in Pohnpei state but not here in Chuuk. So far I have seen only 1 shop selling Tikarams Vanuatu but it is fairly low grade. Luckily I brought a few kilos of my favourite Bir Kar with me
bir kar.jpg
bir kar 2.jpg

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
Sorry I'm late to the Friday party on a Sunday...

I got Kavafied's double-layered strainer bag and kneaded some kava in that. Pretty strong stuff! I didn't really measure how much powder I used, just a bunch of heaping spoonfuls from medium-sized serving spoon. I have some leftover from last night because I was too busy gaming to remember to take a kava break. It'll be good to keep me not hungry until lunch later.

Anybody else have any experience with the double-layered strainer bag?

MendelTheMonk

Kava Curious
Technically this is the free online version by google. Google Sheets.

You can see my entire collection here:
In regards to the numbers I use exactly the numbers that are given on the lab COAs, so the KL% is straight off the report, and so are the % amounts of the kavalactones.

Here's the numbers and cell values I used:

What does the K(KL%-K)*100 mean intrinsically? I’ve always wondered the importance of multiplying kavain * not-kavain.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What does the K(KL%-K)*100 mean intrinsically? I’ve always wondered the importance of multiplying kavain * not-kavain.

1667849016496.png

Schmidt, M., and G. Stoner. 2014. “Scientific and Legal Assistance for the Development of a Quality and Safety Standard for Kava Production and Trade in the Pacific Region.” TBT Programme.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Oh yeah, it's the high 1 and low 3 that made me buy it, normally I wouldn't buy Kelai cuz it's typically too light and empty feeling to me. I haven't noticed any distinct DMY effect to it yet though, we'll see. It does have a unique flavor, one that I've only tasted a couple other times in all my years of kava. Kind of like chlorinated tap water...Kava Supreme and BKH melo had that same taste around 2019. AoK's Dokobana is the one that's 425xxx and I think N@H claim to have that chemotype too. I'm always curious about high K / high DHM since it seems like it should be my favorite.
Isn't it (putatively) undesirable to have DHM in third position or higher? After all, K is usually the most selected-for KL, and that's why we use the K to DHM ratio.

Also interesting that you're against yangonin... what about it don't you like? What about desmethoxyyangonin do you like?

Last edited:

sɥɐʞɐs

Review Maestro
Isn't it (putatively) undesirable to have DHM in third position or higher? After all, K is usually the most selected-for KL, and that's why we use the K to DHM ratio.

Also interesting that you're against yangonin... what about it don't you like? What about desmethoxyyangonin do you like?
DHM isn't entirely undesirable, it depends on the individuals reasons for drinking kava and what they are hoping to get from it. So for some people, DHM-type effects are exactly what they need to achieve the desired effect. Which in the case of DHM would usually be something like a higher anxiolytic effect throughout the entire body/mind and a more potent longer lasting hypnotic/anti-insomnia effect. Sure, it comes with a higher likelihood of nausea and I wish that weren't the case, but I deal with it for the specific medicinal benefits it offers. I can totally understand though, how a relatively normal mentally healthy person who drinks kava mostly for recreational value wouldn't necessarily find DHM desirable most of the time...or even someone who drinks kava medicinally, but for reasons that don't have much to do with DHM effects.

I think Kavain is the most selected for because it's a fast acting, safe, pleasant, enjoyable high (which also has some medicinal value) ... and humans like that. So when I say I like high K/high DHM kava, it's because I'm trying to get the best of both worlds for my specific issues, I want the recreational value (K) along with my medicine (DHM).

My dislike of Yangonin is anecdotal and personal to my genetic make up. I have a susceptibility to varying degrees of anxiety/depression/derealization and I've learned through experience that psychedelic drugs, even as mild as Marijuana, can trigger those horrible mental illnesses to flare up to terrifying nearly unlivable levels. I've personally found, through many years of kava drinking, that kavas with high-yangonin levels seem to play with that area of this genetic flaw of mine a little bit and it's enough to scare me away from it most of the time. The effect while drinking seems fine, even somewhat remarkably good at making kava feel like a "high"...but the feeling it leaves with me afterwards is too close to something that I desperately try to avoid.

What I like about desmethoxyyangonin is the unknown. I simply have an interest in it because it rarely shows up to any significant degree in kava. It might be terrible, it might be nearly inert, it might be great, it might be bad for me but good for you. I'm interested in it's rareness and curious about it's effects...so I've always wanted to try a chemotype like: 142653

Last edited:

Lenticels

AluNaw
DHM isn't entirely undesirable, it depends on the individuals reasons for drinking kava and what they are hoping to get from it.
I didn't state that it's entirely undesirable: just that it is, again, predominately preferred to be in third position or lower. Or, more accurately, a K/DHM ratio of 1 (i.e., at the very least) "should" really be present... but preferably above that.

There may well be outliers (e.g., you it'd appear), and that's fine, but this is generally the collegiate/scholastic/erudition-based understanding.

So for some people, DHM-type effects are exactly what they need to achieve the desired effect. Which in the case of DHM would usually be something like a higher anxiolytic effect throughout the entire body/mind and a more potent longer lasting hypnotic/anti-insomnia effect.
Hypnotic? It is my understanding that kava isn't "hypnotic" in any way.

(Also, I think it's pretty clear that other SCs lower in DHM can still have very great/superlative anxiolytic effects, and the same goes for anti-insomnia effects. Sure, DHM has "staying power," but not often in a very desirable way...)

Sure, it comes with a higher likelihood of nausea and I wish that weren't the case, but I deal with it for the specific medicinal benefits it offers.
"Medicinal..." interesting choice word there. Do you mean medicinal as in, plain ol' "modifying physiological functions," or perhaps something else?

I can totally understand though, how a relatively normal mentally healthy person who drinks kava mostly for recreational value wouldn't necessarily find DHM desirable most of the time...or even someone who drinks kava medicinally, but for reasons that don't have much to do with DHM effects.
Could you please crystallize to me exactly what these "reasons" are?

Again, higher than third position (or more accurately, a K/DHM ratio below 1) is usually said to be quite dicey... but I'd be interested in knowing other "reasons" for avoidance beyond just, well, the effects.

I think Kavain is the most selected for because it's a fast acting, safe, pleasant, enjoyable high (which also has some medicinal value) ... and humans like that. So when I say I like high K/high DHM kava, it's because I'm trying to get the best of both worlds for my specific issues, I want the recreational value (K) along with my medicine (DHM).
Again, I'd appreciate you making it luculent what you mean by "medicine" and "medicinal."

My dislike of Yangonin is anecdotal and personal to my genetic make up. I have a susceptibility to varying degrees of anxiety/depression/derealization and I've learned through experience that psychedelic drugs, even as mild as Marijuana, can trigger those horrible mental illnesses to flare up to terrifying nearly unlivable levels. I've personally found, through many years of kava drinking, that kavas with high-yangonin levels seem to play with that area of this genetic flaw of mine a little bit and it's enough to scare me away from it most of the time. The effect while drinking seems fine, even somewhat remarkably good at making kava feel like a "high"...but the feeling it leaves with me afterwards is too close to something that I desperately try to avoid.
Seems a bit anomalous to me that you find Y to have a "psychedelic" edge, if I'm reading/interpreting your paragraph here correctly: I have yet to really come across anyone positing kava as having any such side to it, high-in-yangonin or otherwise.

And yes, I have some knowledge re yangonin, but it never occurred to me that it (ostensibly) has some sort of "psychedelic" or "hypnotic" edge (i.e., at least in your eyes, of course), if this is really what you're trying to get across?

Just a bit out of left field for me.

What I like about desmethoxyyangonin is the unknown. I simply have an interest in it because it rarely shows up to any significant degree in kava. It might be terrible, it might be nearly inert, it might be great, it might be bad for me but good for you. I'm interested in it's rareness and curious about it's effects...so I've always wanted to try a chemotype like: 142653
Ehh... it is certainty less known than, e.g., DHK & K, but we do have at least some understanding of it (granted, mostly in the non-recreational sense).

Last edited:

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I'm fascinated with yangonin. From looking at data sheets and science studies I have found yangonin to agonise cannabinoid receptors and has a similar dose amount as thc in that just a milligram or two of yangonin is a lot compared to none and what physiological effects it carries at these 'low' quantities.
For me, Kava's medicinal activity includes making me hungry, thirsty, sleepy, feeling better/nudges towards freedom of feeling limited and towards higher organization of focus.

Lenticels

AluNaw
I'm fascinated with yangonin. From looking at data sheets and science studies I have found yangonin to agonise cannabinoid receptors and has a similar dose amount as thc in that just a milligram or two of yangonin is a lot compared to none and what physiological effects it carries at these 'low' quantities.
For me, Kava's medicinal activity includes making me hungry, thirsty, sleepy, feeling better/nudges towards freedom of feeling limited and towards higher organization of focus.
Would you mind citing some of those papers for me?

I am aware of the endocannabinoid binding already, but I haven't looked into the minutiae of it enough.

(I'm guessing you meant what I meant by medicinal, right?)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Would you mind citing some of those papers for me?

I am aware of the endocannabinoid binding already, but I haven't looked into the minutiae of it enough.

(I'm guessing you meant what I meant by medicinal, right?)
This is the only one that I know of. Yangonin possesses about 175 times less affinity for CB1 when compared with ▲9-THC

1697803277109.png

Ligresti, Alessia, Rosaria Villano, Marco Allarà, István Ujváry, and Vincenzo Di Marzo. 2012. “Kavalactones and the Endocannabinoid System: The Plant-Derived Yangonin Is a Novel CB₁ Receptor Ligand.” Pharmacological Research: The Official Journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society 66 (2): 163–69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2012.04.003.

Lenticels

AluNaw
This is the only one that I know of. Yangonin possesses about 175 times less affinity for CB1 when compared with ▲9-THC

View attachment 13276

Ligresti, Alessia, Rosaria Villano, Marco Allarà, István Ujváry, and Vincenzo Di Marzo. 2012. “Kavalactones and the Endocannabinoid System: The Plant-Derived Yangonin Is a Novel CB₁ Receptor Ligand.” Pharmacological Research: The Official Journal of the Italian Pharmacological Society 66 (2): 163–69. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phrs.2012.04.003.
Wow, if this is true, that's a good bit weaker than I thought it to be!

I (still) can't understand someone getting much in the way of THC-like psychoactive effects from it; maybe some people are just particularly sensitive to it?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Wow, if this is true, that's a good bit weaker than I thought it to be!

I (still) can't understand someone getting much in the way of THC-like psychoactive effects from it; maybe some people are just particularly sensitive to it?
I'd say so. Also likely, there is plenty of room for personal interpretation in regards to the effects since they seem to be so multimodal.