What's new

Any keto dieters notice kava kicks you out of ketosis?

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
On the keto diet, and it seems I don't lose weight when I step on the scale the day after I drink kava. Maybe it's just a coincidence? I have read on this forum that kava has little carbs, and even less than that if you count net carbs, given the fiber that is in it. Curious if anyone here on the keto diet has noticed that kava is affecting your weight loss. Nice thing about kava is that it decreases appetite at least.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
On the keto diet, and it seems I don't lose weight when I step on the scale the day after I drink kava. Maybe it's just a coincidence? I have read on this forum that kava has little carbs, and even less than that if you count net carbs, given the fiber that is in it. Curious if anyone here on the keto diet has noticed that kava is affecting your weight loss. Nice thing about kava is that it decreases appetite at least.
Here is a thread you might want to review:

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I don't do keto but I definitely find that kava prevents weight gain or even encourages weight loss.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I don't know how to check whether I'm in ketosis, but during lean times when I'm not eating very much, it takes way less kava to knock me crosseyed.

It's not cause I'm fasting or starving. Just that since covid, I've limited my trips into town, have been rationing groceries, and have only been eating home cooked food. Still plenty of spam, beans and rice though, so it's probably not keto. Heck, I've even made my own tortillas and bread.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Do you hydrate a lot day after kava? It's diuretic properties should lower the weight, it's appetite suppressing effect was already mentioned. It's interaction with microorganisms that have a say on the subject is not researched (no result in pubmed). However, gut microbiota can't increase mass from thin air (they do not photosynthesize or fix nitrogen).

Kavaguy

Kava Enthusiast
I don’t drink any more water than usual the next day. I thought the carbs in kava might turn off the mechanism by which ketones are burned for fuel, but after reading the other thread, seems the fiber would negate the carbs.