What's new

Any prescriptions that help dermo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melissa

If Dermal Therapy isn't quite cutting it, and giving up kava is a REALLY tough road right now, is there anything that helps even more, prescription-strength or otherwise? My dermo looks like patches of peeling sunburn, if that matters. I don't know what the skin issue would be called by a dermotologist, but I would love to find a way to manage it, because kava is the best option for you.

Thanks for any thoughts!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Kava Dermapothy, I've got it right now. Looks like my skin is just trying to get up and leave.

When you say "Dermal Therapy" could you go into a little more detail? If you're speaking about amlactin, then the only way to reduce dermapothy is by reducing your kava intake. One thing I found is while consuming instant kava my skin reverted to its completely normal state, but once I picked up traditional squeeze and knead (with noble kava) my skin issues began to return. AmLactin, currently, is the best known treatment for kava induced dermapothy.

violet

Do all things with love
I've gotten excellent fast relief from bad dermo with a prescription corticosteroid ointment, triamcinolone acetonide. It's rather strong even in it's lowest concentration. I'd cut the tiniest amount with body lotion and it was very effective, usually only needed one or two applications.

Once it heals into the dry, nonirritated type of dermo you can switch to the amlactin. Don't use the amlactin on the red irritated skin. It will induce more irritation and the burn will make you wish you hadn't.

If you can cut back some on the kava or feasibly switch to instants for a while you can probably get it to clear up some without having to abstain. Once you get it if you drink daily you have to find that balance of how much kava you can have and how much dermo you can put up with.

Last edited:

nhoeg

Kava Manliness
You know, dermo from kava is often due to massive dehydration. Buy some electrolytes. They help with the proces of rehydrating your body. Electrolytes can be bought online in capsules or you can just start drinking coconut-water the morning after your kava-session - I do this sometimes. Coconut-water has a lot of electrolytes in it. It keeps the skin hydrated.
I also drink 2-3 tablespoons of flaxseed-oil every morning - it also makes my skin more soft, oily and hydrated.

Remember to drink a lot of water during the day, and maybe the most important thing to remember: get some sweat on your face in order to livin' up the skin. Go for a killer workout in the gym or take 3x15 minutes in the steam-room at your local gym. This will restart your skin's source of nutrition.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
You know, dermo from kava is often due to massive dehydration. Buy some electrolytes. They help with the proces of rehydrating your body. Electrolytes can be bought online in capsules or you can just start drinking coconut-water the morning after your kava-session - I do this sometimes. Coconut-water has a lot of electrolytes in it. It keeps the skin hydrated.
I also drink 2-3 tablespoons of rapseed-oil every morning - it also makes my skin more soft, oily and hydrated.

Remember to drink a lot of water during the day, and maybe the most important thing to remember: get some sweat on your face in order to livin' up the skin. Go for a killer workout in the gym or take 3x15 minutes in the steam-room at your local gym. This will restart your skin's source of nutrition.
Great Advice. I just knew you were going to find a way to mention the steam-room somehow. :)
(seriously it's good advice (y))

Melissa

Thanks for the tips! I've been using great instant from GHK, but my dermo keeps flaring up, maybe because I'm dehydrated and am having trouble abstaining to let things clear up. I'll try the electrolytes and see if I can work up a sweat somehow. A steam room sounds awesome if I could find one!

Wahine Tiff

I've gotten excellent fast relief from bad dermo with a prescription corticosteroid ointment, triamcinolone acetonide. It's rather strong even in it's lowest concentration. I'd cut the tiniest amount with body lotion and it was very effective, usually only needed one or two applications.

Once it heals into the dry, nonirritated type of dermo you can switch to the amlactin. Don't use the amlactin on the red irritated skin. It will induce more irritation and the burn will make you wish you hadn't.

If you can cut back some on the kava or feasibly switch to instants for a while you can probably get it to clear up some without having to abstain. Once you get it if you drink daily you have to find that balance of how much kava you can have and how much dermo you can put up with.
First post! Ahh, scary! Anyways, this is good advice. I've been drinking kava for years and have always just had to cut WAY back when dermo has reared its ugly head. I was nervous to use prescriptions just because I avoid them whenever possible but just a couple small applications doesn't sound so bad.

To the OP: For non prescription relief I like coconut oil.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
Oh man, I've got shriveled up hands bad! When I first started drinking kava, I had all kinds of skin issues. It's settled down to some dry, flaky skin on arms and back. Like dandruff. And the shriveled up hand hands! The other problem is the kava craps! It's been weeks since I've passed gas with confidence..lol.
I've cut back to two tablespoons of micronized Mahakea from GHK(Gourmet Hawaiian Kava) a day. One at lunch, and one in the evening.
I'm hating it. Only because I'm used to drinking two tablespoons of micronized during the day and three tablespoons of traditional prep in the evening.
It's too soon to tell if it's helping. But, I'd imagine it is.

Is micronized the same as instant in regards to healing up a bit? I know there's a difference between how the two are manufactured.

ta-va

Earth Bound
I've had it bad for a few weeks now. I can put up with the wrinkly hands and even the dandruff-like flakes (all over my body) with lots of E45 lotion it's bearable. (The hoover has defo taken a battering around our house recently). I'm sure I'm hydrating enough. I do think abstinence is probably the only sure-fire way, but who wants that, right?

What gets me most is the dry eyes. They start weeping in the corners and I get red patches (probably from constantly dabbing them) and these then go dry and flaky. This seems to set in for a few days every week. Again, I can deal with it personally, but it's very unsightly to be out in person looking like this. I use Optrex eyewash or Systane when it sets in but once it's there it's there for a few days, at least.

I've had a five days off recently and it's no biggie but the dermo has intensified, if anything. I wonder if it goes through a last flourish as whatever's causing it starts to leave your body? I've read that it might be linked to cholesterol inhibition and it definitely seems systemic as in it's something within your bloodstream or happening on a chemical level in your body that only abstinence could truly solve. I'm as careful with straining as I can be and definitely take on enough water to keep hydrated. I'll probably try some of nhoeg's suggestions e.g. electrolyte replacement and more intense exercise (a steam room is not really easily available to me) as other things I have not yet tried.

I've just had some instant in and wonder if others experience less dermo with this as violet above suggested? Not really cost effective but if a combination of reduction of consumption and just sticking with the instants works then I might just have to take this route.

Sorry I've not been able to contribute to helping your query Melissa, but it is a maddening state of affairs, this dermo business, isn't it and I'm as interested as anyone in the answers to all this (that do not contain the word ABSTINENCE! haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.