What's new

Any tapering recs for break?

Cripp

Greetings all — I’ve been taking kava for about 2 years to help with anxiety and tapering off Valium. Have had a lot of success with it. But recently have been craving it more and more and have been drinking it a good amount during the instead of evenings. Also been getting some feelings of agitation about 20 mins after consumption so it seems my body is calling for a break. I tried stopping cold turkey for 2 days and felt extremely restless and irritable, restless leg syndrome at night was the worst. I’m a runner and that helped a bit but it felt like benzo withdrawals to me. Does anyone have any recs to taper off to take a break? I’d like to go back to this root at some point because I have found many many benefits, but a break would be good right now. I also take K@, but seem to manage my intake of that a little better. Thanks to all!

PurimGrogger

Because "Shell Silverstein" was already taken
I am sorry you are going through that.

Many of us kava enthusiasts defend kava no matter what in response to people having issues like this or otherwise. I don't think I'm doing that when I say that there's a chance that your brain was using kava as a way to deal with dependence on k@ which is known for much stronger dependence symptoms and yes, addiction.

When I've had "withdrawal" effects at all related to kava, it was really just severe anxiety symptoms creeping back when, otherwise the route was able to keep them more manageable.

Also some of us get a form of agitation after heady strains, which sometimes for me includes some Fijian wakas and some Tongan varieties.

Good luck.

Skunkworx

I have had a much milder version of this after a heady kava period and would suggest switching to something heavy for a month and then stopping/tapering off (assuming you aren't already drinking something heavy).

ThePiper

Kava Lover
You could try substituting with cbd or chamomile for a little while? or do something new in your routine,maybe take a short vacation if you can… it’s most likely a psychological pattern that just needs a bit of novelty to shake it off.

Valyn

Kava Curious
Greetings all — I’ve been taking kava for about 2 years to help with anxiety and tapering off Valium. Have had a lot of success with it. But recently have been craving it more and more and have been drinking it a good amount during the instead of evenings. Also been getting some feelings of agitation about 20 mins after consumption so it seems my body is calling for a break. I tried stopping cold turkey for 2 days and felt extremely restless and irritable, restless leg syndrome at night was the worst. I’m a runner and that helped a bit but it felt like benzo withdrawals to me. Does anyone have any recs to taper off to take a break? I’d like to go back to this root at some point because I have found many many benefits, but a break would be good right now. I also take K@, but seem to manage my intake of that a little better. Thanks to all!
Hey, I am in similar situation and tapering down from 40mg diazepam and now at 6mg. I drank a lot of kava at around 20mg and 10mg and recently started again. Are you drinking it in the daytime or night? Are you having any bad reactions between the kava and diazepam? I want to start drinking kava again but unsure about the combination or how to do it.