What's new

Anybody use L theanine or 5 htp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
I've used L-Theanine, I found the first time I tried there were good effects but afterwords it died down a little, it sort of makes you feel "centred" 100% worth a try though, but I'm not so good at explaining effects of supplements. It works on the GABA and Dopamine system if that gives you a better understanding of it.

L-Theanine comes from matcha green tea, so I've tried various matchas to see what sort of effects they give you, so most of the Matcha teas I've boughten have done nothing, except for one time I went to a local tea shop (not a chain) and they had super high quality matcha and I had a large one and the effects were incredible. The effects were very different then just having theanine on its own, but it was an awesome an powerful feeling. But no other matchas have done that for me, so eventually I will go back to that tea shop and try it again, if it does the same thing I'm going to ask them for their source.

I've never used 5HTP but I have used tryptophan (very similar, it is a precursor to 5HTP) and it did nothing, I'm not sure i have the link but there was a review of studies on 5HTP and tryptophan and the results were always ambiguous they couldn't confirm it really did anything

Idgie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi - I have used 5-HTP before, it worked (works) well for me. It pretty subtle, but I definitely felt 'better' (calmer, more focused) on the five stuff. I try not to stay on it continuously (that is just what I like to do, it is probably fine to stay on for a while) but if I'm not currently taking it daily and I feel particularly anxious (for no good reason), I can pop a cap and feel better within 20 minutes. It's not overpowering, it just helps you get over the hump? Or that is what it does for me.
I use the NOW brand, cheap but good.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
My gf just stooped taking her meds for anxiety as the side effects were too bad . So I've been looking for something (other than kava ) for her to try ..she has been taking it for a few days and says she actually feels quite good with a combo of both the theanine and 5 htp ..I got mine from pure bulk it's a 99.8 percent powder extract .

Roaddog

Kava Who?
Well Im going to watch where this thread is going I have also wondered about these supplements. I am trying to got off lots of addictive meds, in my life, And I too would love to able to take something natural. I have about had it with doctor putting me on bad stuff. Also I soon will be living (a few more years) On property I own, in New Mexico, that is almost 160 miles to town and back, and that's a pretty small Native American sort of town. Ill be living off solar panels, and windmills, water collection, in a cabin I have been building there. (home steading)Would be nice to order supplements. Because town runs only happen once every week or two:whistle:. Much love. Roaddoggy....

infraredz

BULA!
I have used various different products with L-Theanine and 5-HTP and can't say that they're all that special.

By no means are they bad, but especially with 5-HTP, you want to be careful with the risk of Serotonin Syndrome and such. L-Theanine is very benign from everything I've read.

Theanine

Kava Curious
I've used L-theanine before, I find it has slight, barely noticeable effects. I like it best when combined with a cup of green tea from which it came. I think it's synergistic with caffeine.

T

Tasha R.

Old thread but I take L-theanine dots before I leave the house because I have anxiety driving or being around large groups of people and it truly does the trick!!! Poof, gone. Been using about three weeks. It's not a narcotic type of feel either. I like it a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.