What's new

anyone else here tried this stuff?

kl.radiantmaniac

Kava Curious
it's horribly expensive but it's my first time with kava powder and I wanted something that could ship within the UK very quickly.

One thing I'm noticing is that while there is an initial feeling of being very chilled it takes a good hour or even 90 minutes to actually feel it really strongly. Is that unusual?

KavaKrunked

Kava Enthusiast
I find that it depends on the kava strain. I start to feel some in as little as 10 or 15 min after the first shell and others after 3 shells or 45 min or so after the first shell.

Also, if your stomach isn't completely empty, the contents may delay onset.

radiantmaniac said:
it's horribly expensive but it's my first time with kava powder and I wanted something that could ship within the UK very quickly.

One thing I'm noticing is that while there is an initial feeling of being very chilled it takes a good hour or even 90 minutes to actually feel it really strongly. Is that unusual?

Unusual in my book that's for sure. 90 mins ! I've never had that but would like to try it. If my kava does not have me on the lounge in under 10 mins then its never going to work. Good kava for me starts in under 5 & that's obviously fresh root (first bucket in a nakamal of a strong mix has you almost before you sit down lol) however I've had good instant kava that works that quickly. Also had a batch of Fijian powdered that had me crashed with double vision that fast too.

Is that an extract rather than just root powder though? If so, wouldn't £10 for 50g of extract be a fair price? How much of it did you have to take per session?

kl.radiantmaniac

Kava Curious
It's not an extract, just a root powder.  I used two desert spoons of it (a little smaller than tablespoons) this morning blended, strained etc and it seemed quite strong, I was on another planet for about 7 to 8 hours.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I was also very curious about this stuff so it's interesting to hear some reports. My initial thought, like kavachameleon was that it's an extract - far too expensive to just be root! But I contacted them and they said it's root. Not extract. I said that it's literally 10x the price of the root I buy in NZ and I don't understand how it can be justified. They seemed happy with their prices, especially given the organic status. But to be honest I can never justify this price to myself. It's basically one session for £10.

kl.radiantmaniac

Kava Curious
vorticity said:
I was also very curious about this stuff so it's interesting to hear some reports. My initial thought, like kavachameleon was that it's an extract - far too expensive to just be root! But I contacted them and they said it's root. Not extract. I said that it's literally 10x the price of the root I buy in NZ and I don't understand how it can be justified. They seemed happy with their prices, especially given the organic status. But to be honest I can never justify this price to myself. It's basically one session for £10.
Do you consume 50 g in one session all by yourself?!  Wow.  Is that considered the norm?

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
radiant, I think so, yes. Though I rarely weigh things out. I would use quite a lot of water with it. Not sure what the norm is.

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I just had a look at a 250g bag and asked myself if I would use 1/5 of that in a regular session. Maybe, maybe not, but I wouldn't be miles off. I would use about 1.5 litres of water I think. I'm no scientist when it comes to this.

Global Kava Exports might be a better bet, they are still expensive compared with what I pay in NZ but I can accept their prices, and the shipping is quick and free.