What's new

Anyone have experience with smelling salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
So I recently ordered 2 bottles of Mackenzie's smelling salts. My reason for ordering them is because my girlfriend frequently has dizzy spells and I thought they may help with that, but I also ordered one for myself because I often find myself feeling foggy and not entirely clear headed and I heard they really clear the mind. Anyone ever used smelling salts before?

EQ

Atman
I don't have experience with salts, but I do with herbal essential oils used in my diffuser.

I can say that smells can change your mood and perception. Not immediately, not forcefully, but there is a subtle healing.

I would recommend you try Yerba Mate and go through the thread in the off-topic.

I am starting to sound redundant recommending this herb, but it will put your mind on point in a good focus, oxidize fat, and heal the body.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
So ive had my smelling salts for a bit now and i can say they really help clear your head and wake you up! Now im looking into possibly manufacturing them and marketing them towards college students as a study aid and something to keep them focused in classes. thoughts?

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
pretty cool. maybe to relieve "morning fog" beeing students and all. how do they work? can you give me some proper links about that?

verticity

I'm interested in things
So ive had my smelling salts for a bit now and i can say they really help clear your head and wake you up! Now im looking into possibly manufacturing them and marketing them towards college students as a study aid and something to keep them focused in classes. thoughts?
Just don't call your product "bath salts" :D
A couple thoughts, though: how long does the effect actually last? Would they keep someone up for an all-night study session, or is it just like a little jolt?
Also, why manufacture it yourself? Why not just buy in bulk and resell it with your brand and marketing? That would surely be more profitable than setting up a lab (that would meet FDA regulations) to make it yourself.

Ryanakamal

Kava Curious
Just don't call your product "bath salts" :D
A couple thoughts, though: how long does the effect actually last? Would they keep someone up for an all-night study session, or is it just like a little jolt?
Also, why manufacture it yourself? Why not just buy in bulk and resell it with your brand and marketing? That would surely be more profitable than setting up a lab (that would meet FDA regulations) to make it yourself.
heh the kids use ritalin and amphetamines and i have been hearing much more about modafinil/adrenefonill what i heard is some kind of magic drug blah blah smarter blah focus. noo or nooptropics they call it

verticity

I'm interested in things
heh the kids use ritalin and amphetamines and i have been hearing much more about modafinil/adrenefonill what i heard is some kind of magic drug blah blah smarter blah focus. noo or nooptropics they call it
I've used modafinil (Provigil). All it did was either nothing, or make me a little jittery. Nothing magical about it.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Here's a link that explains how they work http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2015/01/smelling-salts/ and verticity I could actually just make a mixture of simple salts (ammonium cholride and sodium carbonate) and add a couple drops of water and it would work as smelling salts. Alternatively I could purchase Ammonium Carbonate in bulk (which is what smellings salts are. Also used as a levening agent in baking oddly enough) though this would be a bit more expensive, though it's probably the route I'll go just to avoid red tape. Bassically smelling salts work because the ammonium carbonate disolves slightly in the pressence of water and releases ammonia gas. In small amounts (like the ammoints produced by smelling salts) it's not harmful but will irritate the nostrils and cause your sympathetic nervous system to kick into action and will cause your body to produce a "fight or flight" response. As to how long the effects last, just imagine you're driving in your car and suddenly the car in front of you stops and you have to swerve to avoid it. Your sympathetic nervous system has kicked in and you now have an adrenaline rush, and you will most likely no longer feel drowsy and you probably wont for the next 30 min or so. So, it definitely wouldn't keep you up all night, but if you're studying and you feel your eyes starting to close this would definitely pry them open.

D

Deleted User01

@krunkedout, I'm gonna say this but I'm sure you have already thought about it. I don't think smelling salts are a very good idea for a girlfriend who has dizzy spells. I would think a doctor would be in order. There are so many things that could be causing it. For example, perhaps she needs to eat many small meals during the day. Or perhaps she has a brain tumor. Ya see how it can run the gamut. I have heard of people with low blood sugar who get dizzy spells. Snacking seemed to be the prescription. Dude, please try to find a medical explanation for why she is getting dizzy spells. Nice girlfriends are hard to find after all. :D

P.S. And don't think it is your debonair way and handsome looks that are making her swoon. :LOL:

krunkedout

Kava Lover
@krunkedout, I'm gonna say this but I'm sure you have already thought about it. I don't think smelling salts are a very good idea for a girlfriend who has dizzy spells. I would think a doctor would be in order. There are so many things that could be causing it. For example, perhaps she needs to eat many small meals during the day. Or perhaps she has a brain tumor. Ya see how it can run the gamut. I have heard of people with low blood sugar who get dizzy spells. Snacking seemed to be the prescription. Dude, please try to find a medical explanation for why she is getting dizzy spells. Nice girlfriends are hard to find after all. :D

P.S. And don't think it is your debonair way and handsome looks that are making her swoon. :LOL:
I definitely agree. And to be honest after the first whiff I'm not sure she'll be using them again lol. She is actually having some blood work done, but I'm pretty sure it's because she has anemia and absolutely refuses to take her prescription iron pills because they upset her stomach.

D

Deleted User01

@krunkedout. In the old days, my mother swore that bean soup (pinto beans) was the cure for anemia. And she had a degree and was a teacher and all that. One of my brothers was very pale and you could see his face turn pink after eating/drinking the soup. I'm sure there are other iron rich foods as well. Spinach may be one of them. To this day, I love pinto beans with lots of chile and cilantro. You can live off beans and many poor folks do. When you get to the bottom of the pot, grind them up and you have a healthy version of refried beans (don't fry them please). And the good news, they are damn inexpensive to make but you need a big pot.

dino9832

Kava Enthusiast
I totally LOVE my bullet blender.
I found some info on how vitamin C helps iron absorption.
Maybe some veggies, and seasoning might make a good vitamin C smoothie.
Of course, she could have four servings of pumpkin seeds:
#1: Squash and Pumpkin Seeds
1 ounce (142 seeds) (28g)
4mg (23% DV)

Or, four servings of chocolate! :)
#9: Dark Chocolate and Cocoa Powder
1 Square (29g)
5mg (28% DV)

http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/
2. Eat non-heme iron foods with vitamin C foods, and absorption can increase as much as five times.

Five times! Culturally these combinations are already happening: think beans and rice with salsa, falafel with tomatoes and hummus with lemon juice. The iron in beans, grains and seeds is better absorbed when combined with the vitamin-C found in fruits and vegetables. Bonus: some iron sources, like leafy greens, broccoli, and tomato sauce already contain vitamin-C.

- See more at: http://www.nomeatathlete.com/iron-for-vegetarians/#sthash.hLo5CcbY.dpuf

D

Deleted User01

Good info @dino9832! That would explain why beans and rice keeps so many people alive in impoverished hispanic countries and our own impoverished barrios. And I love pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate too. I think I need to get a copy of the nutrition book you have been reading. In fact, find me a book where I can lose about 6 pounds by only eating BBQ. Man, I work out twice a day (walking and weights) and I lose Bupskis. Damn Holiday pounds are tenacious. Unless of course the weight training is putting on pounds of raw lean muscle. But the Jeans are still choking me ....:D

Status
Not open for further replies.