What's new

Are kavalactones there if your kava liquid lacks sediment?

Hitch

Kava Curious
Hi All, Bula,

I’m curious to know if the kavalactones can be hyperfiltered to remove the sediment at the bottom of my kava drink?

Kavalactones are tiny chemical compounds so theoretically they could pass through a 1 micron filter or less if you mash and mix your kava enough. I use Kavafied’s 75 micron filter when making traditional kava but often have stomach discomfort and am trying to see if I would still get the kava “effect” with hyperfiltering to remove the sediment that settles.

In other words, can the kavalactone oil indeed be extracted from fresh or dried root and give you an effect without the presence of sediment? My friend gave me a bottle of pacific Roots kava which I loved... if I didn’t drink the Pacific Roots sediment at the bottom, could I still ingest kavlactones that had theoretically separated from the sediment and were in the water? I’m willing to buy more pacific Roots myself and experiment with that (It’s a bit expensive however!).

I look forward to hearing the community’s thoughts :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
Kavalactones are slightly soluble in water. So if you filter out all the sediment there would still be some KLs in the liquid, but you would also lose a lot of the good stuff which does tend to settle out. Hyperfiltering a bottle of Pacific Roots would be wasting much of that good stuff IMO. It is quite strong, so my recommendation would be to just drink smaller amounts if it bothers your stomach..

It is possible to use filter sizes smaller than 75 microns. I have some 25 and 50 micron ones that I rarely use because they do make a weaker drink. Some members here have said they prefer them though. A 1 micron filter would be extremely difficult to use. You would probably have to do it in successive steps to prevent clogging like 75, 50, 10, 1 etc, so it would be a lot of work for a pretty weak result.

Hitch

Kava Curious
Thanks for your reply @verticity ! Very helpful.

As a follow up, my question is why can’t that sediment be broken up into even finer pieces? After all, you won’t be damaging the kavalactones as they’re tiny.

In other words, is the sediment at the bottom of Pacific Roots Kava pure little clumps of kavalactones OR is it starch or insoluble sediment that has some kavalactones within it? With either option, can’t that sediment be made even finer?

verticity

I'm interested in things
Thanks for your reply @verticity ! Very helpful.

As a follow up, my question is why can’t that sediment be broken up into even finer pieces? After all, you won’t be damaging the kavalactones as they’re tiny.

In other words, is the sediment at the bottom of Pacific Roots Kava pure little clumps of kavalactones OR is it starch or insoluble sediment that has some kavalactones within it? With either option, can’t that sediment be made even finer?
I'm not sure what the sediment in Pacific Roots is. It is made from fresh kava juice, so probably not ground up fibers or makas like in medium grind. Could be anything that is not super water soluble that precipitates out that would include some KLs.. You could try putting it in a blender I guess if you wanted to..

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Surely the sediment is just kavalactones, as with all other Kava preparations? Kavalactones seem to have a sediment nature in my experience so far.

Why any different with the liquid drinks?

But as #Hitch has experienced- more sediment=more nausea.

The unfortunate trade off of our beautiful Kava.

But also. That sediment is where the real potency lies. It woukd seem a shame to waste it I think.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
Hi All, Bula,

I’m curious to know if the kavalactones can be hyperfiltered to remove the sediment at the bottom of my kava drink?

Kavalactones are tiny chemical compounds so theoretically they could pass through a 1 micron filter or less if you mash and mix your kava enough. I use Kavafied’s 75 micron filter when making traditional kava but often have stomach discomfort and am trying to see if I would still get the kava “effect” with hyperfiltering to remove the sediment that settles.

In other words, can the kavalactone oil indeed be extracted from fresh or dried root and give you an effect without the presence of sediment? My friend gave me a bottle of pacific Roots kava which I loved... if I didn’t drink the Pacific Roots sediment at the bottom, could I still ingest kavlactones that had theoretically separated from the sediment and were in the water? I’m willing to buy more pacific Roots myself and experiment with that (It’s a bit expensive however!).

A couple suggestions, you can get a 50 micron strainer at Kavafied or alternatively, you can get some KWK concentrate and bypass that problem all together, I believe a 30ml bottle costs $50, which isn't terrible.

ThatDankK

̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿ ̿'̿'\̵͇̿̿\з= ( ▀ ͜͞ʖ▀) =ε/̵͇̿̿/’̿’̿ ̿ ̿̿
Hi All, Bula,

The sediment makes up a majority of the kavalactones in the beverage. When you drink kava, its something you just can't get around, but you CAN take steps to reduce the discomfort you feel.
If you do some research, you can find some herbs that help reduce feelings of GI discomfort and nausea such as peppermint, chamomile, and ginger, as well as some medicines like pepto and tums. Perhaps after you've drank your kava, you can drink some chamomile tea with honey or some gingerale, I find both of those to work rather well for me

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Perhaps after you've drank your kava
Very useful and apprpriate tips. Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate ginger or peppermint, just like most medicinal herbs, foods and remedies out there.

Howwever, my quote here- I think the correct English would be "after you have drunk your kava", but I am open to being wrong.

It's very trivial of course, and honestly this comment is largely for fun and foolery, with resoect.

But also, my OCD. often compells me, and precisely correct use of languafe has akways veen important ti me.

Funnily enough, despite being a reak kind of school flunk out- (like, homewirk and essays scribbled out on the bus, finished in toilet, late to lesson etc), I somehow got an A* for GSCE English language lol!

I think it goes- I drank....but not after you have drank.

But, after you have "drunk".

I May be wrong though of course, and honestly mate no offence or patronizing intended just a little fun response with a serious points regarding the correct use of the English language and conjugations in various contexts etc.

But thinking now, I think you can correctly say I have drunk but to say I have drank is is an incorrect congregation and application I think possibly.

Anyway hope you are very well mate just a 40 gram session here tonight in the Aluballs-

13 gr Kavafied Kava Tonga,

15 grams bestfijikava AAA Lawewna.

Then finally, 12 grams WoW Kava.

Which is excellent at levelling off that heaviness of the other lighter strains from earlier. I like the WoW, juat not by itself....

along with some medical cannabis edibles and a little something else I shouldn't mention here according to rules. Full respect for the rules and fantastic Mods, no dig or moan intended there anyway. Huge thanks to all the moderators here for your endless and surely will meaning selfless input and work and advice. (y)

ThatDankK

Very useful and apprpriate tips. Unfortunately, I cannot tolerate ginger or peppermint, just like most medicinal herbs, foods and remedies out there.

Howwever, my quote here- I think the correct English would be "after you have drunk your kava", but I am open to being wrong.

It's very trivial of course, and honestly this comment is largely for fun and foolery, with resoect.

But also, my OCD. often compells me, and precisely correct use of languafe has akways veen important ti me.

Funnily enough, despite being a reak kind of school flunk out- (like, homewirk and essays scribbled out on the bus, finished in toilet, late to lesson etc), I somehow got an A* for GSCE English language lol!

I think it goes- I drank....but not after you have drank.

But, after you have "drunk".

I May be wrong though of course, and honestly mate no offence or patronizing intended just a little fun response with a serious points regarding the correct use of the English language and conjugations in various contexts etc.

But thinking now, I think you can correctly say I have drunk but to say I have drank is is an incorrect congregation and application I think possibly.

Anyway hope you are very well mate just a 40 gram session here tonight in the Aluballs-

13 gr Kavafied Kava Tonga,

15 grams bestfijikava AAA Lawewna.

Then finally, 12 grams WoW Kava.

Which is excellent at levelling off that heaviness of the other lighter strains from earlier. I like the WoW, juat not by itself....

along with some medical cannabis edibles and a little something else I shouldn't mention here according to rules. Full respect for the rules and fantastic Mods, no dig or moan intended there anyway. Huge thanks to all the moderators here for your endless and surely will meaning selfless input and work and advice. (y)
Drank is the past tense form of drink, in my sentence "after" justifies the use of past tense, all heil grammar nazis lmao

AlexisReal

Kava Enthusiast
Drank is the past tense form of drink, in my sentence "after" justifies the use of past tense, all heil grammar nazis lmao
I will do some thinking on that. My gut tells me I was correct, but I want to check now lol!

When my head is straight I will see if better sense can come to me!

Hitch

Kava Curious
The sediment makes up a majority of the kavalactones in the beverage. When you drink kava, its something you just can't get around, but you CAN take steps to reduce the discomfort you feel.
If you do some research, you can find some herbs that help reduce feelings of GI discomfort and nausea such as peppermint, chamomile, and ginger, as well as some medicines like pepto and tums. Perhaps after you've drank your kava, you can drink some chamomile tea with honey or some gingerale, I find both of those to work rather well for me
I’ll give those teas a shot! Thank you, @ThatDankK

ThatDankK

I’ll give those teas a shot! Thank you, @ThatDankK
Any time. And like I said, do some of your own research into things that help ease the symptoms of GI discomfort. I haven't done much of it myself because I'm able to do like 4 sometimes even 5 tbs of micronized without issue hahaha I have a lead lined stomach