What's new

'Awa Hiwa is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

blindy107

Kava Lover
My eyes are receding into themselves with dryness.
How are you preparing your root? I'm using a traditional style prep with a Fijian strainer bag and water/root only.

I thought I had the dermo beat as it's been 6 months since I had any signs but lately it's rearing it ugly head. The only thing that changed is I added two new kavas to my collection.

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
I do traditional prep also with Fijian strainer bag. I drink hanakapi regularly. When I bought mahakea last time and hiwa a few times to switch up, I noticed immediately my eyes were irritated. I probably drink more than I should some days and it's not unbearable or anything. But I definitely positively notice other strains irritate me more than others. Semi dry hands not horrible. I've never had to stop drinking it or anything. Just a noticeable phenomenon.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah I usually don't have issues either @Lamakan, but this time I immediately noticed my hand and lips had dried out within two days of starting on the hiwa. No reason to stop, just have to drink it less often I suppose. :arghh:

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I do traditional prep also with Fijian strainer bag. I drink hanakapi regularly. When I bought mahakea last time and hiwa a few times to switch up, I noticed immediately my eyes were irritated. I probably drink more than I should some days and it's not unbearable or anything. But I definitely positively notice other strains irritate me more than others. Semi dry hands not horrible. I've never had to stop drinking it or anything. Just a noticeable phenomenon.
Hummmm, I drink GHK regularly, and haven't had much issues with dryness when sticking to Hawaiian kava. I havn't gotten my Hiwa in yet (USPS spun around in circles and got lost for a few days), but I will report in when I do. I'm very excited to try it.

Blippy5

Certified Noble
I tried Hiwa for the first time yesterday. It was a great experience, more heady than I imagined it would be. Not sedating, but I still got a GREAT night's sleep. I'll review after I try it for a couple more sessions.

Congrats on your first post...welcome
BULA
Thanks.

I have a whole bunch of samples from different vendors on order and have yet to make my first shell. Having no experience (yet) with preparing root powder, I'm especially interested in micronized and instant kavas to get me started. I'm particularly interested in the heavy/drowsy varieties that might help with end of day relaxation and sleep. Hence my interest in Chris' hiwa variety.

Last edited:

Lamakan

Kava Enthusiast
i started with micronized thinking it would be a better option when I was a newbie. It certainly has its uses but for strength, price and effect, medium grind is where it's at. You will gain confidence and skill as u continue to get used to using whatever technique u choose. Have fun with it. I tried all kinds of juices, smoothies, oil, blah blah. Eventually figured out that water and kneading is the best way for me (and for untold numbers of Pacific Islanders for thousands of years)! I hope kava can dramatically inprove your life like it has mine. I tend to like heavy. My favorite strain right now is hanakapi ai from ghk-I just finished a pound of the hiwa. You just can't go wrong with Chris' stuff. Oh and also beware of reverse tolerance. It took me multiple pounds of very high quality kava (that I felt absolutely nothing from:( ) it was discouraging and expensive. But I trusted that my peeps at KF would not lead me wrong. And they did not. They are really onto something that I feel could (and is) absolutely changing the world in terms of addiction, anxiety, depression etc. and this forum is expanding monumentally all the time.

i started with micronized thinking it would be a better option when I was a newbie. It certainly has its uses but for strength, price and effect, medium grind is where it's at. You will gain confidence and skill as u continue to get used to using whatever technique u choose. Have fun with it. I tried all kinds of juices, smoothies, oil, blah blah. Eventually figured out that water and kneading is the best way for me (and for untold numbers of Pacific Islanders for thousands of years)My favorite strain right now is hanakapi ai from ghk-I just finished a pound of the hiwa. You just can't go wrong with Chris' stuff. Oh and also beware of reverse tolerance. It took me multiple pounds of very high quality kava (that I felt absolutely nothing from:( ) it was discouraging and expensive. But I trusted that my peeps at KF would not lead me wrong. And they did not. They are really onto something that I feel could (and is) absolutely changing the world in terms of addiction, anxiety, depression etc. and this forum is expanding monumentally all the time.
Great tips. Thanks. My kava budget is just about busted but I may spend my remaining few dollars on some hanakapi and the hiwa reviewed by Chris.

Last edited:
D

Deleted User01

@blindy107, I think the more potent kavas seem to effect the skin more. For the most part, I only know Moi' and Nene and I think they do the least amount of harm. I only say that because I have never gotten dermo. However there are some potent kavas that can dry up my eyes and have me instantly reaching for the chapstick. My Hiwa should be in today or tomorrow ... depending on whether the boys in the canoe took a break last night or not. I'll be monitoring the side effects and report back.

blindy107

Kava Lover
@blindy107, I think the more potent kavas seem to effect the skin more. For the most part, I only know Moi' and Nene and I think they do the least amount of harm. I only say that because I have never gotten dermo. However there are some potent kavas that can dry up my eyes and have me instantly reaching for the chapstick. My Hiwa should be in today or tomorrow ... depending on whether the boys in the canoe took a break last night or not. I'll be monitoring the side effects and report back.
Well I feel that the Waka sold by kalm is one the strongest roots I've ever had and it never happens with that. I'm leaning towards it being due to the onset of winter around here. It just seems odd that right after I switch to it my dermo starts to mildly act up again. Hope you enjoy the hiwa!

duberz

This is going to be a blend of my Hawaiian kava that I am making according to analysis of the roots and stump of different kava plants. I am making a blend that will be a nice and heavy blend that will be perfect for the tudei lover in you but without the 2-3 days of hang over or the other unwanted effects that are common with the tudei kava's.
Aloha.

Chris
Hey Chris! First off huge mahalo for your absolutely amazing kava. I've been on quite a binger of your supply and have tried 5-6 different strains within the past 3-4 weeks haha. I love all of them with Moi and Boroguru at the top of the list. Especially when mixed!

With that being said do you know when this blend you mentioned will be ready? I only ask because I was about to place an order tonight for more Boro and Moi but am more than willing to wait on the Boro if you'll be coming out with this heavy blend soon. Mahalo for your time and your mean kava! :D

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hey Chris! First off huge mahalo for your absolutely amazing kava. I've been on quite a binger of your supply and have tried 5-6 different strains within the past 3-4 weeks haha. I love all of them with Moi and Boroguru at the top of the list. Especially when mixed!

With that being said do you know when this blend you mentioned will be ready? I only ask because I was about to place an order tonight for more Boro and Moi but am more than willing to wait on the Boro if you'll be coming out with this heavy blend soon. Mahalo for your time and your mean kava! :D
I am sorry to say that I will not have this one ready for at least another month, maybe two and the price will be higher because of the content of lateral root and the fact that I am using different parts of different varieties to make this blend. But I guarantee it will be very effective. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

chasemandingo

Kava Enthusiast
Why is every kava I try from you just so good? Must be the terroir or perhaps the love that goes into the process....whatever it may be I salute you. A magnificent kava. Creamy chalky with a lil pepper. The effects are tops! What else can I say that hasn't already been said by everyone on this forum. GHK is the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.