with her over night where they found she had fractured her pelvis in
like 4 places during the fall down the stairs. While were waiting two
uniformed police came up to them and started asking questions, at one
point they looked over at me. I walked over to see what was going on
thinking I would have to justify why I gave this person this wonky- 
quasi legal tea. They were only concerned about the stairs, and said
they needed to follow up as if it had been a public establishment  the
ower could be liable but in this instanmce I wasnt. Still freaked me out
though. Anyway, long night. Try to stay safe kids.

krunkedout

Kava Lover
Was she taking antidepressants or any other maoi inhibitors? There could have possibly been a reaction here that caused her to get so messed up

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Weird. Hope she's okay. I've puked a couple times from kava before, as many have. I've drank too much and totally felt like shit. I've seen people drink so much that walking is difficult and falling down stairs would definitely be possible. Sounds like all this unfortunately happened to your friend all at an especially high level.

I too am curious if she was on other medications. Also, for me personally, the few bad kava experiences I've had have almost always happened when drinking kava and alcohol together. I've had some perfectly fine experiences doing this as well, but when people ask I almost always warn against that combo.

Sounds like she'll be in some pain for a while, so from a kava vendor, I'm sorry she had such a terrible experience and my thoughts go out to her.

kl.dflux

Kava Curious
I am sure the friend was explained that she would be given a substance that would mimic the behavior of alcohol?  Thats bad to hear, its one of those things that would give this a bad name.  It will be hard for that person to not hold a finger to kava about it.  Maybe she can forgive.  But thats kind of null.  That is a very awkward situation.  It kinda reminds me of the experience with my ex g/f and my doberman in a way (The awkwardness).
Well my ex had an encounter with my doberman and she had to have rods put in her leg.  Ouch.  Well, first glance u would think big dog attack story!  No, and i paid 2k for this doberman to make sure it would not kill my children(or anyone else).  She does not have a bad bone in her body.  Well, while she was playing with the dog..... in the grass.... with  HIGH HEALS she twisted her ankle just right, fell and snap.  To this day she hates that dog and blames the dog.  But, its kind of indirect to blaime the dog just because its in that profile.  Its not like there were any marks left on her body from dog contact.  Its a very awkward feeling... knowing when that story is told everybody looks at the guy with the killing machine.  However this guy took great care to insure blood line stability and safety.  My dobe... would not be much of a fighter or guard dog.  She just aint got it in her.  Shes kind of a lovable little softy that just looks like a badass.  But it does kind of guilt me, that had this person not been playing with my dog she would not have rods in her leg.  Indirect blame is bad mojo I think.  Don't blame yourself.  
Maybe the friend won't hold a grudge.  :) I just hear that story and go.  Man, that is such a awkward spot there.  Do u blame yourself, the person, or the kava?  Blaming yourself is indirect blame, I would not.  U don't blame the weather forecaster when someone has a car accident from poor weather.  This was a grown adult who I am sure was told to sit down had she been that krunk.  Furniture all over the floor?  Jeeez.  No, blame the person.  I am sure she was told to sit.

kavalover

Outsider
Dang, that sounds awful. She must have fell down the stairs hard, I'm glad she is okay. You say she's drank kava before, so I wonder what was different about this time? Kava and alcohol together, other meds, it'd be interesting to know.

I've had my fair share of bad kava experiences. They suck. lol. I'm glad to cops weren't worried about the kava though, you know in that situation a hell storm could have been brought up about this evil little root lol.

kl.CarolinaBC

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, sorry to hear about your friend. I hope she heals quickly. I'd be interested to know what all she took that night too. Was it a bunch of booze, kava and something else? Don't get me wrong kava alone has gotten me stumbly before but for me I was mentally coherent enough to know to be careful moving around and pretty much kept my butt parked on the couch till it got manageable.

Good thoughts going out to your friend.

uuku pi

Kava Enthusiast
So sad and sorry this happened to you and to your friend.  It is the kind of thing that can happen to anyone. shanti (peace)

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
Thanks all for the kind words. There were a few factors that went into it. She is not on other medications, and our alcohol consumption was low. She had done kava before, and is otherwise a pretty tough cookie and uses a number of other substances without issue. However, she does have a history of stumbling around when intoxicated and hurting herself. She also refused to sit down when my girlfriend noticed she was quite krunked and asked her to several times, and insisted on trying to move around despite knocking things over etc...(which was a result of being krunked, she's a lovely and generally reasonable person). While I think the vomiting started from the kava, I think she went into shock from the pain which perpetuated it. So what at first looked like some sort of poisoning or allergy was really her body responding to the injury. The batch I made was strong, and unfiltered, which I personally have not had any problems with before, but now will be much more aware of, for guests in particular. The stairs in question are also very steep.

And no they are not blaming me or the kava (as far as I know). I was just trying to be a good host, and they are both adults that understand the risks of experimenting with intoxicants. She was actually very apologetic for the drama - which now that we have a better idea of the injuries and whatnot was not the least bit inappropriate. I feel bad for her, she is still in hospital and cant walk at all. While in hindsight better precautions could have been taken I dont feel anyone is particularly responsible. Its just a shitty thing that happened and this sort of thing unfortunately goes with the territory sometimes.