What's new

Ball washing to bag washing

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I used aluballs for a long time and after having several highly-stained balls where the mesh was completely clogged up, I found a way to wash my balls so they would last longer.

I'm doing traditional prep now and I will usually wash the bag at the end of an evening. At times I have washed the bag and then used it shortly afterwards, and the kava always tasted funny, which I'm guessing is from not rinsing out the soap very well. I was using Dawn dish soap, but I also have Ivory dish soap for cleaning my cpap components, and switching to that seemed to help it rinse out more easily. I also will use a bowl and keep filling it with water while agitating the bag in the water, dumping out the bowl, wringing the bag, and then rinsing it a few more times that way until I don't see any more soap suds. Almost makes me wish I had some kind of miniature washing machine that could take it through a rinse and spin cycle.

What do you all do to wash your bags and get them rinsed out thoroughly?

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I throw my bag in a ziploc in the freezer after each session. When it starts to get funky I do what you said. If it start to get really funky I will soak it in isopropyl alcohol for a few min then rinse with soap and water.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
I've started soaking it overnight, and when I put the bowl and bag on the scale to weigh the kava I was about to put in, I noticed the bowl/bag combo was 2 grams lighter. I'll do the boiling also, that's a good idea. The unperfumed WUL is good too, thank you.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I used aluballs for a long time and after having several highly-stained balls where the mesh was completely clogged up, I found a way to wash my balls so they would last longer.

I'm doing traditional prep now and I will usually wash the bag at the end of an evening. At times I have washed the bag and then used it shortly afterwards, and the kava always tasted funny, which I'm guessing is from not rinsing out the soap very well. I was using Dawn dish soap, but I also have Ivory dish soap for cleaning my cpap components, and switching to that seemed to help it rinse out more easily. I also will use a bowl and keep filling it with water while agitating the bag in the water, dumping out the bowl, wringing the bag, and then rinsing it a few more times that way until I don't see any more soap suds. Almost makes me wish I had some kind of miniature washing machine that could take it through a rinse and spin cycle.

What do you all do to wash your bags and get them rinsed out thoroughly?
I have a bad habit of leaving it filled with kava overnight...because I am lazy. So I usually have 2-3 bags in rotation. To clean I will let it sit in a little bit of soapy water and vinegar for 2-3 hrs and it comes out squeaky clean. Every once in a while I will boil it but if you regularly use the vinegar I don’t think it is necessary.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
It worked great, the bag seemed to rinse the soap out more easily. I'm still mildly curious now about cleaning my old aluballs that I got when I first started drinking Kava, and didn't wash them well. They've got a white residue that is clogging up the screens and I have tried all kinds of stuff to get it out of there. I'm guessing there is some key ingredient that will dissolve that stuff and not hurt the plastic. I wonder what it would take to have a lab see what exactly is in the residue and work backwards from there.

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I must admit I have never washed my strainer nylon stocking or cotton strainer bag - just quickly rinse them, wring them out and hang them on their hook to dry. There are lots of flies where I am, and they never land on my strainer, so just figured they would be OK.
Or maybe they are just so filthy that even the flies are disgusted and move on.