What's new

Becoming de-sensitized to kava?

kavasam

Kava Curious
I've been a long time lurker here and have gotten a lot of help on various things. One thing I'm running into is that I appear to be getting de-sensitized to kava. I've been drinking it for quite a while, varieties from GHK, KWK, Bula, Wacacon, and I'm finding that the more often I drink it the more I need to take to get the same results. For medium grind I started with 4 rounded tblsp in a milk/water combo with good results and now I've had to run it up to 7. Prep is blender. Other prep methods don't work as well for me.

I tried to research this problem on Google but nothing turned up. I asked KWK where I get my root currently and they'd never heard of that. I thought I'd ask here to see if the broader audience has run across it. Can one become de-sensitized to kava in general or maybe it's just one strain and it's time to switch? I only want to do heady stuff currently, right now it's Pouni Ono Same thing happens with medium grind or micro. Moi was OK, not as big a whack as my early stages of Pouni. Nambuan was good but the after effects lasted too long, way into the night even if drunk in the morning.

But all have the same "deterioration" in terms of having to take more to get the same results. Always, always drunk on an empty stomach - like 12 hrs or so empty. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I've been a long time lurker here and have gotten a lot of help on various things. One thing I'm running into is that I appear to be getting de-sensitized to kava. I've been drinking it for quite a while, varieties from GHK, KWK, Bula, Wacacon, and I'm finding that the more often I drink it the more I need to take to get the same results. For medium grind I started with 4 rounded tblsp in a milk/water combo with good results and now I've had to run it up to 7. Prep is blender. Other prep methods don't work as well for me.

I tried to research this problem on Google but nothing turned up. I asked KWK where I get my root currently and they'd never heard of that. I thought I'd ask here to see if the broader audience has run across it. Can one become de-sensitized to kava in general or maybe it's just one strain and it's time to switch? I only want to do heady stuff currently, right now it's Pouni Ono Same thing happens with medium grind or micro. Moi was OK, not as big a whack as my early stages of Pouni. Nambuan was good but the after effects lasted too long, way into the night even if drunk in the morning.

But all have the same "deterioration" in terms of having to take more to get the same results. Always, always drunk on an empty stomach - like 12 hrs or so empty. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
There might be 2 schools of thought here, one which is kava is not as potent as it was 2-3+ years ago and I've noticed it as well. I think the best thing to do is to take a break for a week or two and then drink again. See how it works out for you. It works for me.

kavasam

Kava Curious
Go off kava for a week or two? Ack! That would be a good test if I could do it. Starting back with the same kava after 2 wks off would tell me if I had actually become desensitized or if the kava itself is weaker.