What's new

Best ISA available

markosheehan

Kava Curious
Hello.
I'm interested in trying some ISA. A couple years ago I tried it and the first batch I got was really good, Very little nausea and it was really strong.
Then i had some batches after that that had pretty bad nausea and it wasnt even that potent either. I'm interested in trying it again though .
Seems hit and miss so would be good to get a solid reliable one.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello.
I'm interested in trying some ISA. A couple years ago I tried it and the first batch I got was really good, Very little nausea and it was really strong.
Then i had some batches after that that had pretty bad nausea and it wasnt even that potent either. I'm interested in trying it again though .
Seems hit and miss so would be good to get a solid reliable one.
I would say Kava Depot, but it looks like they're currently out of stock.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Did you ever try it?
Did you ever try the ROH stuff?
How did you find them?
I haven't touched an Isa since 2010 when I got my hands on the roughest batch of kava I've ever consumed. It was powdered misery.

Please don't take that to mean that all Isa is a monster, it isn't. There was just something off with that bag of kava that put me off Isas forever.

It looks like both Kava Depot and ROH are out of stock on PNGs at the moment.

markosheehan

Kava Curious
I haven't touched an Isa since 2010 when I got my hands on the roughest batch of kava I've ever consumed. It was powdered misery.

Please don't take that to mean that all Isa is a monster, it isn't. There was just something off with that bag of kava that put me off Isas forever.

It looks like both Kava Depot and ROH are out of stock on PNGs at the moment.
where was that isa from?

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
In what way was it bad?
And do them guys still operate at all?
With the idea that not all isa is this way, this specific bag made me vomit, my skin crack and bleed, and had a salty flavor to it.

I sent in a sample to a testing facility and they said it was one of the worst samples of kavas they've ever tested. It turned the acetone test almost black.

Currently Hawaiian Kava Center does not offer any products for sale.

Kava_Root

ROH's Isa was good for what it was, although I haven't tried Isa from any other vendors. As already stated it doesn't seem to be in stock anymore. I'd be conservative with my use if you end up with some, it dried my skin out like no other. I quite liked the effects though. Slow build-up and very heavy.

Michael Nielsen

Kava Enthusiast
I did find this

Kava Depot's is great. I bought a kilo of it a year ago and still working on it. You can message them and they will let you know when it will be restocked.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Isa is not fully tudei according to studies. I've tried 3 tudeis or so with mixed results. Since they're not addictive or harmful, I'd say live and let live, if people want to try them.

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
It is off topic but it adds some gravity to the already somewhat serious topic that 'isa' means father in my native language.

Sorta true because piper wichmannii may be parent species of piper methysticum. Not fully convinced by one paper.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Isa, while it doesn't get that official "Tudei" stamp, it's still non-noble kava. Is it as sickening as real Ni-Vanuatu tudei kavas? Decidedly not, and thank goodness.

If we had our hands on full bore tudei kavas, we would have a distinctly different opinion of its availability on the market.

Here's an excerpt from Lebot & Levesque 1989

"According to Lawrence (1984), who since 1949 has engaged in anthropological research among the Garia in the mountains just north of Usino in Madang Province, kava is prepared for funerals, and the person's relative consume about half a coconut shell before bearing the body to the grave. Informants claimed that it had a "toxic" effect, and this seems to be borne out by the fact that, after the funeral, those who drank it immediately fell asleep. The Garia refer to this kava in Pidgin English as Koniak, and in their own language as 'ISA'."

Lebot, V., and J. Lèvesque. 1989. “THE ORIGIN AND DISTRIBUTION OF KAVA (PIPER METHYSTICUM FORST. F., PIPERACEAE): A PHYTOCHEMICAL APPROACH.” Allertonia 5 (2): 223–81. http://www.jstor.org/stable/23187398.

To each their own, and I understand the pull of curiosity. To some people "Funeral Kava" is just too enticing to pass up.

I would be a hypocrite if I said I hadn't had my fling with Isa. I think it's something most of us just have to sample to understand why it's spoken about the way it is.

Bottom line, Isa (madang short, PNG) isn't going to detrimentally harm you. If you drink it daily, it'll make your skin turn to ash and it can make you wish you hadn't drunk it, but you'll end up on the other side.

M

mlenny

It is off topic but it adds some gravity to the already somewhat serious topic that 'isa' means father in my native language.

Sorta true because piper wichmannii may be parent species of piper methysticum. Not fully convinced by one paper.
Finnish?

Matthew