What's new

Best kava for numbing pain

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
In the spirit of recent threads.......

This could range anywhere from general muscle aches to more chronic pain (sometimes I hurt my neck, and the pain for a few days is really unpleasant). What's the best kava for this generally?

I was thinking that something with a big "body load" would work well - like Koniak or an Isa. Or perhaps Boroguru.

hitsuzen

Kava Curious
I get awful muscle tension and back pain from scoliosis and I've personally had success with a 50/50 mix of Koniak and Boroguru. I'm sure either on their own would work too. Can't speak to ISA, haven't tried it (yet).

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
I was thinking that something with a big "body load" would work well - like Koniak or an Isa. Or perhaps Boroguru.
I don't want to misquote KavaGurl from another thread, but if I understand correctly, I believe an ISA would actually be good for a big "body load". I personally haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try it soon. Like EndWatcher said in another post, apparently some people really really like ISA, and everyone else hates it (including EndWatcher). So I'm really wanting to try some just see which side of the fence I sit on this.

infraredz

BULA!
I don't want to misquote KavaGurl from another thread, but if I understand correctly, I believe an ISA would actually be good for a big "body load". I personally haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to try it soon. Like EndWatcher said in another post, apparently some people really really like ISA, and everyone else hates it (including EndWatcher). So I'm really wanting to try some just see which side of the fence I sit on this.
We don't really hate ISA (if I'm thinking of what you are referring to) but we just have our concerns over tudei kavas (also called ISA, two-day) which have the potential to be more unsafe than "noble" kava which, BTW, everyone has agreed can include most Fijian and Hawaiian kavas.
There is much debate as to whether Koniak is a "tudei" or if it just has "tudei-like effects" and that horse doesn't need to be beaten again but keep in mind a lot of people would put it in that category while some wouldn't.

Refer to:
(Dr. Lebot is probably the leading researcher on kava and literally wrote the book on it)
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/lebot-interview-on-tudei-hepatotoxicity.1531/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/thr...ble-tudei-and-wichmanii-strains-for-fkb.1573/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/lebot-explains-simple-qualitative-type-test-in-lab.1543/

My recommendation is actually a mixture of Nambawan and Boroguru in a 1/1 mix. That works best for me for most musculoskeletal pain although depending on the type of pain, I've found different kavas and different mixes to work better. Also, keep in mind that everyone will have their own individualities with kava.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
There is much debate as to whether Koniak is a "tudei" or if it just has "tudei-like effects"
I didn't know that about Koniak. I currently have some I'm using and if it's representative of an ISA, then I would definitely have to say I don't care for it either. It's strong (like advertised) but it's also harsh and makes me nauseas as an after affect. It's kinda like some wines/champagne from Spain, they are dry the way I like it, but I always end up with really bad heartburn.

I also have Boroguru and Nambawan and I like those way better. They can give me a good buzz but without all the side effects.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
I've had both combos...and I would definitely agree with @infraredz that the Nambaguru is what I'm most fond of. Tudei kava also has me a little uneasy, so I just prefer to avoid them altogether ;)

D

Deleted User01

Boroguru + Koniak. Just drink what you need and don't overdo it. It's medicine, not liquor.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I find boroguru works a treat, but I don't have chronic pain just occasional soreness, dings and scrapes from working out.

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
We don't really hate ISA (if I'm thinking of what you are referring to) but we just have our concerns over tudei kavas (also called ISA, two-day) which have the potential to be more unsafe than "noble" kava which, BTW, everyone has agreed can include most Fijian and Hawaiian kavas.
There is much debate as to whether Koniak is a "tudei" or if it just has "tudei-like effects" and that horse doesn't need to be beaten again but keep in mind a lot of people would put it in that category while some wouldn't.

Refer to:
(Dr. Lebot is probably the leading researcher on kava and literally wrote the book on it)
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/lebot-interview-on-tudei-hepatotoxicity.1531/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/thr...ble-tudei-and-wichmanii-strains-for-fkb.1573/
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/lebot-explains-simple-qualitative-type-test-in-lab.1543/

My recommendation is actually a mixture of Nambawan and Boroguru in a 1/1 mix. That works best for me for most musculoskeletal pain although depending on the type of pain, I've found different kavas and different mixes to work better. Also, keep in mind that everyone will have their own individualities with kava.
So most Fijian can have effects like a tudei? maybe that's why I felt so Shitty from the bag of Fijian waka I have ..I wish I would have known that before I bought it

infraredz

BULA!
So most Fijian can have effects like a tudei? maybe that's why I felt so Shitty from the bag of Fijian waka I have ..I wish I would have known that before I bought it
No. I definitely wouldn't doubt that some kava grown in Fiji (and therefore some sold as Fijian) may be tudei or wild (Wichmanii) but the word "noble" is a word that only those in Vanuatu use to refer to kava that meets certain criteria, one of which being that it isn't tudei. I wouldn't say that "most" Fijian kava is tudei although the plant geneticist Dr. Lebot would be the best to comment on that...

However, that doesn't mean that all non-Vanuatu kava is unsafe for daily drinking. This is where a lot of (IMO) unnecessary semantics come into play wherein people argue whether a kava that clearly displays all the hallmark signs of a "tudei" kava can and/or should be called a "tudei" kava if it isn't from Vanuatu.

See:
http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/codex-alimentarius-commission-e-on-kava-safety.1577/
and
http://faolex.fao.org/docs/html/van38473.htm

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The commonly cultivated and sold Fijian kava's are "Noble". They just aren't classified as such, because that classifier is currently only used in Vanuatu. (and increasingly, online) Fiji has several common varieties, none of which are tudei...however, no one that sells Fijian Kava online ever lists the actual cultivar name. Instead we just see Fiji "waka" or Fiji "Lawena". Waka is just kava ground from the lateral roots only. The lateral roots contain a higher percentage of kavalactones and produce more of the "heavy" long-lasting kavalactones. This makes the resulting beverage more likely to be stronger, heavier and longer-lasting. So if you drink a lot of it, it is possible to still feel some residual effects the next day. You may consider that tudei-like, but it's not tudei, just good strong kava.

That being said, I suppose you can't always be sure that what you purchase actually is what they say it is. But the vendors here are trustworthy and hopefully everyone involved with bringing the kava from the earth to our vendor is just as reliable.

violet

Do all things with love
... So if you drink a lot of it, it is possible to still feel some residual effects the next day. You may consider that tudei-like, but it's not tudei, just good strong kava.
@Kavanewb Just to add a little to this... the elimination half-life of most kavalactones is about 9 hours, so if you are taking kava later in the evening you could easily be feeling next day effects upon waking.

CanAwa

Perhaps my body just wasn't ready for the potency . I've been experimenting with bkh melomelo and it doesn't nearly touch the power of the Fijian. It makes me feel content with a mild head and body buzz. Tho today I do feel extremely lazy and am wondering if this is common ?

infraredz

BULA!
If you are drinking large amounts of kava that has high concentrations of the double bonded kavalactones (DHK & DHM) then, yes, you will feel effects the day after and possibly even very mild effects two days after. Melo Melo is not a "heavy" kava and is probably significantly different in terms of the chemotype which would account for why it might feel less potent. In reality, it's probably just due to the fact that it's a different sort of kava that (IMO) has more subtle effects.

Are you by chance drinking the "Wakacon" Fijian kava?

Also, are you taking any other medication or drinking grapefruit juice?

CanAwa

The first time I made the Fijian I used a old white t-shirt to strain it ..the second night I used a nylon strainer and there was a significant amount of sedament in the grog . Also I was trying to break through my RT and didn't expect it to happen so quickly or powerfully ..I actually felt nauseous and almost paralyzed .. hit the couch and couldn't move

infraredz

BULA!
Yeah, when you consume enough kava to do that (at least in my experience) if it is a heavy kava, you will feel the after-effects much stronger than if you aren't getting "krunk" and are just consuming moderate amounts. Some people have no RT which is why I don't recommend complete newbs to go really heavy on the first time because there is a chance that (like some), there won't be any RT and the person might have a negative 1st experience. I always recommend starting low and slowly increasing until you find the sweet spot.

Also, the more sediment in your grog, the stronger it will be and I've also found that the effects last/linger longer than they do with finely strained kava.

How much did you use with the "couch lock" experience and how much Melo Melo did you use when you said it felt mild?