What's new

Best kavas for Aluball

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
Long time reader, relatively new member, and first time poster here.
I've been doing traditional prep for a few months and just discovered the magic that is the double Aluball method (magic especially for me since I have 3 kids age 5 and under and no time for anything much less kava prep).
Since that is going to be my mainstay for the foreseeable future, I wanted to get people's experiences with how it performs with different kavas. Here are my notes so far (I prefer heady kavas if you don't notice):
Cactus Kava Lawena: very mild effects compared to trad prep. As someone else has said here, the Cactus grind seems to be too coarse to work well.
BKH Borogu: probably the best results I've had with the Aluball so far. Couldn't detect any drop-off at all. Also didn't notice the slight stomach pain I had with it before.
Squanch Lawena: Very happy with the effects and super smooth, mellow taste too. No noticeable drop-off as compared to trad prep.
GHK Mo'i: I got this one after switching to the Aluball, so I can't compare, but it seems to hold up to its reputation as one of the best heady kavas on the market. My first night with it was great, but I made the rookie mistake of taking too much - 8 Tbsp total, which made me nervous and on edge. 2nd night I stuck w 4 Tbsp and the effects weren't too noticeable. I'll try going with 6 for tonight's session.
Also, filling one ball with Squanch and one with BKH Borogu was a great idea.
Bula!

Vladimir Lemon

Kava Curious
I have had similar results with Cactus Kava. Their kava is best left for traditional prep.

I bought some Stone Kava during NAH's holiday sale, and it is the best aluball kava by far. Just 2 tbs is enough to keep me good for several hours. I will definitely be buying more. I've also had good effects with various GHK offerings.

madLyfe

Kava Curious
@Kavasseur is doing stuff along these lines, but noting which kavas work best in terms of longevity or getting the best bang for the buck using the aluball. so, how many washes you can get out of the same starting material while still giving effects/kavalactones. though this would also apply to traditional prep.

this is just another way to quantify using an aluball compared to the way you are trying to quantify it. would be cool if he posted on his site kavas that are aluball friendly for both reasons.

superspeedkit

Kava Curious
@Kavasseur is doing stuff along these lines, but noting which kavas work best in terms of longevity or getting the best bang for the buck using the aluball. so, how many washes you can get out of the same starting material while still giving effects/kavalactones. though this would also apply to traditional prep.

this is just another way to quantify using an aluball compared to the way you are trying to quantify it. would be cool if he posted on his site kavas that are aluball friendly for both reasons.
Yea, I love what he is doing on his site. I posted this because I couldn't find a complete list of his thoughts regarding the Aluball's interaction with certain kavas specifically. Keep up the great reviews, @Kavasseur.

wormwood

Kava Enthusiast
Ive tried it a couple of times and I cant see how it could possibly work as well, my grog is never as thick as it is through traditional prep.