What's new

Big Island Hawaii awa fans?

jewalker7842

Kava Curious
I think, today, that you'll likely find your sentiments echoed over the overwhelming majority of religious individuals. They just want to live and let live, and kava is far from anything to be concerned about.

It was bad, quite bad in the South Pacific when colonialism brought western ideologies and "rules" to a place that had never once considered them for themselves. In all honesty religion was, by far, the biggest destructive force for kava in its several thousand year history. Today that isn't the case less a few odd Brigham Young University staff that still believe it a sin.
I know a few people that would think it is a sin, but once I explain what it does, and what it has done for me personally with my anxiety, PTSD, cured my allergies, and keeps my attitude in check, they tend to want to learn more about it themselves. It's been a life changer for me. I'd still be drinking alcohol and smoking if it wasn't for kava.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Gosh that really upsets me. I am a Baptist (very right wing Protestant) and I see NOTHING wrong with drinking kava. Kava does not alter your mind. You are the same person albeit, a bit happier, but that is it. I'm sorry that is a stigma that some missionaries or local church's have put it on it. It is an awesome plant that improves creativity, conflict resolution, and happiness. There is nothing wrong with that.

As a Christian I have never once gotten a conviction about it. In fact, I feel I have been encouraged to tell more people about this wonderful plant. Why? Because even though I am happy in the Lord, content, and He has blessed me more than I deserve. Life is hard and it's brutal Sometimes you need the ability to unwind, relax, and smell the ocean breeze. Kava allows you to do that without changing who you are and without being harmful.
I will add that, historically, it was the Missionary influence on Queen Ka'ahumanu. She declared (in 1820's) that folks could no longer plant or drink 'awa!
Historian Isabella Bird commented- "No law on the islands is so grossly violated. It is easy to give it and easy to grow it. ...despite legal restrictions , it is used to an enormous extent". Mark Twain even commented regarding the health benefits and 'awa's availability at public markets while it was " Illegal ".