What's new

Blending vs kneading

Kavakavaking

OceanOfKava
Just wanted to re cap the blend vs knead numbers. Yes i do both. But i do seem to think just blend and squeeze alone is around the same kavalactone content.

Also if you want what your favirite strain-breed of kava myself would be borongoru.

Bullahh

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Blending + straining is an easy win for sure. When you use a hand blender/immersion blender, it's lightning quick and efficient to both prepare and clean up.

EDIT: I think it's also noticeably stronger when I blend, the effect when consumed vs kneading. Typically I blend for a full minute, but even if I blend for just 30 seconds, the finished product I squeeze out of a strainer bag is noticeably more oily when blended.

Last edited:

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
When you use a hand blender/immersion blender
Is hand blender and immersion blender, one and the same, or are they 2 different things ?
I guess that's the one you crank with a hand ?
I'm curious how it's better than an electric blender, since it seems like the power of the electric blender would make it more effective

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
Is hand blender and immersion blender, one and the same, or are they 2 different things ?
I guess that's the one you crank with a hand ?
I'm curious how it's better than an electric blender, since it seems like the power of the electric blender would make it more effective
Two different names for the same thing- they can be purchased from most retailers both on and offline. I always try to get one with at least a 200 watt motor. Google either name and you'll see what I mean.

The "hand" part of the name comes from the fact you have to hold it in your hand while operating it, whereas a conventional blender sits on the counter top and doesn't need to be held during operation.

EDIT: I use a tall protein shaker cup to blend my product in about 3-400ml of water (the cup holds 800ml); this minimizes any splattering. Using a bowl or pan would be messy (lots of splattering). I'll blend up 3-6 heaping table spoons, squeeze it through a strainer bag into a pitcher, and add water to my preferred concentration. Just give the cup and blender attachment a quick rinse, and cleanup is done. I'll then pour it from the pitcher into a bottle for convenience's sake; I can store what I don't want to consume in the fridge, and just give it a quick shake for each subsequent sip.

This seems to effectively extract most of the kavalactones (and probably "micronizes" some too). I've tried doing a second blend and wash with the remnants, but I found it to only have small trace amounts, far too weak and impotent for my liking, along with a disproportionate amount of "micronized" sediment for not much kavalactone goodness.

Last edited: