What's new

BMI and Kava

Status
Not open for further replies.

verticity

I'm interested in things
BMI is an strange number, and I know its used a lot. For example, insurance companies often look at BMI to gauge how much overweight a person is. There's just one problem. What if a person is an athlete? Its well known that muscles weigh more than fat. My BMI says I'm darn near being overweight, but if you look at me I look skinny. Why? I'm a cyclist and I have some massive leg muscles. Thats where all my weight is. So, BMI and kava. What role does fat play in the absorption of kava in the body? I have no idea, but its bound to play some sort of role, as @Pacifico suggests. Also, each person is different as far as sensitivities. I've always been very sensitive when it comes to kava. I never had RT, and usually after just one cup I'm really feeling it. (I'm about 6'4" tall and weigh around 200 lbs.)
It's true that kavalactones are more soluble in fat than water. But I don't really believe that stored body fat would have any effect on the blood levels of kavalactones: that I would expect to be dominated by absorption in the stomach and total weight. Of course as @Deleted User pointed out, many other factors than weight could determine the subjective effects for an individual, including previous experience, metabolism, medications, genetics, gender, general health, age. Of course I have no research to back this up, this is just WASS (Wild Ass Scientific Speculation)

verticity

I'm interested in things
... In the islands I have been drinking with wiry old men and fit muscle-y young men at the same time and all seem to get hit more or less the same. Certainly no big guy in the corner chugging twice the amount....
I kind of more envisioned the huge guy sitting in the center, regal and Buddha-like, encircled by the other kava drinkers.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Keep describing ! Haha I know what you mean about listening to it. But also could you elaborate your process on listening to it. Do you give it more conscious attention, such as stopping what your doing and being with it. Or can you continue say watching TV and keep listening ?

Status
Not open for further replies.