What's new

Boroguru - Missing In Action

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Yet again boroguru is sold out.

I make a motion that Judd lets us know when his stash is looking weak....so we can "help" him with it ;)

k0rd

Kava Curious
crap - I ordered some on Wednesday - I was wondering why I didn't get a ship notice yet.

[edit] I sent a mail asking to switch my order up and they were happy to assist! Great service!

Last edited:

Deleted2020_1

Kava Curious
I guess I bought the last half kilo! Ordered mine on Monday last week got it on Friday and just busted it open. I haven't had kava in a few years and I was worried about the reverse tolerance. I tell you what, though, I am a little caught off guard. This is much more physical than the previous kavas I have had....by the way, is this kind okay to toss and wash? I made a few bowls from 9 tablespoons and if I can save money by toss and wash I would like to.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
^---we're unclear on the actual safety of toss n wash, but some people do it and have been fine so far.

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
I do wonder where the toss&wash method came about because as far as the natives go; they've always strained it themselves; also as far as they can remember. :bookworm:

With what sieve in which to strain; well that memory cannot be reached as of now but as I've retorted, it's always been strained. o_O:rolleyes::)

I just thought it was interesting.:coffee:

Oh and Kapm your tans figuring that milk box (photoshop or w/e) with that image almost made me choke on my tea with laughter. (y):LOL::ROFLMAO:

keeron

Kava Enthusiast
I guess I bought the last half kilo! Ordered mine on Monday last week got it on Friday and just busted it open. I haven't had kava in a few years and I was worried about the reverse tolerance. I tell you what, though, I am a little caught off guard. This is much more physical than the previous kavas I have had....by the way, is this kind okay to toss and wash? I made a few bowls from 9 tablespoons and if I can save money by toss and wash I would like to.
Even though i Toss & Wash Kava and i am 100% fine.
I would not toss & wash Tudei.
If you have Noble kava, such as Boroguru Kava, then Toss & wash should be fine.

Please be aware, You need far less kava to feel effects, when you toss & wash it.
E.g A few bowls = 9 Tbsp. Where as Toss & wash = 3 Tbsp or 3 Tbsp's every hour until you are at the Peak of the effects.
I think people forget how much kava leaks through when you strain it.

About 3 tbsp's leak through from around 9 tbsp's. So even if you strain it, you still drink Un-strained kava that leaks through.

Last edited:

violet

Do all things with love
If you have Noble kava, such as Boroguru Kava, then Toss & wash is fine.
I don't wish to re-ignite the debate over toss-and-wash versus traditional prep, but for those reading who may not be aware of it, there have been several cases of toss-and-wash being connected to sudden allergic reactions to kava that have resulted in the user having to quit their use of kava permanently.

We all have to find our own way of doing things, but I do not think there is any contesting that consuming whole root in lieu of an aqueous extract is a great way to experience dermopathy and/or GI issues. If you are someone who does not get these side effects from toss-and-wash, you may consider yourself an anomaly for the time being, but also be mindful that side effects and allergies can spontaneously occur at any given time.

There is at least one good thread covering this subject, probably more.
...by the way, is this kind okay to toss and wash? I made a few bowls from 9 tablespoons and if I can save money by toss and wash I would like to.
You'll probably be okay for a little while (entirely subjective) if you are consuming unfiltered whole powdered root. Boroguru has always been my favorite, but has also always given me the worst dermopathy. I can't even have a single session with it anymore if it's a fine grind, and that's even with using very fine materials to strain it.

While toss-and-washing whole powdered root might be cheaper than using traditional prep methods or extracts, most who do so on a regular basis usually end up with dermopathy or other issues. Overall, most kava drinkers find they get the most mileage out of their $$ from using dry powdered root (various prep methods). Some kava drinkers have reported better economy with powdered extracts. I myself have found that a high quality micronized kava, which has been processed for its intent to be consumed whole, has the potential to be more economical than traditional prep with whole root powder even though it it more expensive.

It all comes down to individual preference, but you might want to research the pros and cons of toss-and-wash versus other prep methods before some side effect takes you by surprise and possibly sidelines you from kava usage.

infraredz

BULA!
+1 regarding the possibilities of tossing and washing.

Now, there is no conclusive evidence of any adverse effects, and like Keeron mentioned, we all do consume root material even after straining anyways. That being said, I would submit that because of the extensive metabolization by our GI, there is the possibility of a different absorption pattern in a pharmacokinetic way, more root material to having the potential to have an allergic reaction to, more GI and dermopathic side effects, and possibly absorption differences ratio or amount of certain compounds, desirable or not.

Micronized or instant is definitely the way to go for people looking for a way around other prep methods, but it must be said that putting powder in our mouth and then trying to swallow it has the potential for causing asphyxiation, infection, pneumonia or other respiratory conditions even if we are careful (the aforementioned conditions have been reported in cases of tossing and washing various things). All it takes is a simple sneeze of hiccup (or simply tilting our head back of something silly like that) for potentially uncomfortable or dangerous effects.

I'd recommend for those tossing and washing to do it one of two things: either use "stir and chug", "shake and wash", etc or "reverse toss and wash" because it puts less of a potential stress on the pharynx, epiglottis and esophagus and reduces the potential for adverse reactions to tossing and washing.

"Stir and Chug", "Shake and Wash", etc is where you have a small little vial (like an old medicine bottle that has a sealable lid) and pour the powder and water into it and shake it up and then swallow it. Most of the time, you will need to add more water and repeat the process to get all the material down though it is definitely worth the extra 45 seconds.

There is also the "reverse" toss and wash where you put a swig of water in your mouth, then carefully pour the powder into your mouth and swish it around before swallowing. This also makes it much easier on the pharynx, epiglottis and esophagus.

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
No longer MIA! A beautiful batch of that dark 100% lateral root, pungent, muscle melting earthiness has just come in. I just had a single shell, and holy relaxtion, Batman. I've almost been able to forget that I came down with the worst head cold known to man yesterday. Enjoy guys. Sorry about the delay, and I thank you for your patience. I value the folks on this forum so much for helping Bula Kava House get off the ground. Hmm, I've got an idea. How about a promo code advertised to The Kava Forums ONLY? Yeah sure, that's sounds like a good idea. Enter FORUMS at checkout through the weekend for 10% off all orders of Boroguru!

I also have a new shipment of our noble blend, Nambawan. This kava always smells and tastes closer to fresh root than any other dry kava I've ever encountered. This batch is especially fresh though. A shell feels like you're making out with Mother Nature. Along with the Nambawan, we received a ridiculous amount of instant kava, which we had been sold out of for some time. If you didn't know, our instant is made from the same blend of root as Nambawan (That's why it's so awesome). The instant won't go live again on the site until Sunday or Monday as we're waiting on a shipment of the tins we use for packaging, but I thought I'd give you all a heads up to make sure you don't spend all your money on something silly like rent or food.

Status
Not open for further replies.