What's new

Borongoru, Boroguru or Borogu

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Are these different cultivars? Different names for the same plant? I've always been a little confused. It seems Boroguru is more ubiquitous among vendors than Borongoru (I've only seen this one at the Kalm site). Inquiring minds want to know!

I suspect these are Vanuatuan varieties, is that right?

Who can illuminate me?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I've quoted an excerpt from Lebot's book before, that shows how convoluted the language gets with the names.
In short, there are over 100 different languages spread throughout the Vanuatu islands, and the Borogu/Boroguru/Borogoru/borongoru etc. names can change from one island to another and even from one part of an island to another. it's also known that the same cultivar can produce different strengths and chemotypes to some degree depending on how and where it's grown...so it gives a lot of leeway...
that being said, i think the modern consensus is that Boroguru types are heavier and more sedating and Borogu is more balanced and leans to the heady side, while not being completely heady.
I think they might all technically the same cultivar, but there are definitely some places growing a 'medicinal' level boroguru plant with a 245xxx-ish chemotype that seems to typify what we've come to consider as "boroguru".

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
I think they might all technically the same cultivar, but there are definitely some places growing a 'medicinal' level boroguru plant with a 245xxx-ish chemotype that seems to typify what we've come to consider as "boroguru".
Where does that put Kalm's "Borongoru?" Just a different spelling/pronunciation of Boroguru? It didn't seem heavy to me comparatively, so maybe that makes is a Borogu?

I guess I'll just have to embrace the diversity of plant/soil/location and enjoy each batch for what it is, a somewhat singular experience each time.

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
There may be better people to answer this i.e. @Deleted User but from what I understand Borogu and Boroguru are two separate cultivars. See attached pic from Lebot's "The Pacific Elixir" (a great read for anyone on this forum BTW). Shakas is absolutely correct though that it does get a little convoluted as there are many different languages and names for the same type of kavas throughout Vanuatu and the entire Pacific for that matter. Also how 1 Kava can be named the same cultivar and have different chemotypes associated adds to the confusion. As far as the Borongoru is concerned, this name comes directly from the farmer of this kava who also happens to grow Borogu as well. I initially thought it was a unique spelling to them of Boroguru but it has very different effects and chemotypes from either of these leading me to believe it is it's own unique cultivar.

IMAG0540.jpg IMAG0541.jpg

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
See attached pic from Lebot's "The Pacific Elixir" (a great read for anyone on this forum BTW).
Very cool! $10 on kindle. I may need to check that out.

I initially thought it was a unique spelling to them of Boroguru but it has very different effects and chemotypes from either of these leading me to believe it is it's own unique cultivar.
Comparing my experiences with Borongoru with descriptions of both Borogu and Boroguru, I would agree.