What's new

Kava Preparation Breaking News: My new method for how to make stronger, better tasting kava

Palmetto

Thank God!
Recently, I have been having stomach issues from drinking kava several hours a day. I drink until I am at the point of nearly vomiting and I am forced to stop. I decided to try an experiment I thought of a long time ago. I read from some academic paper that kava grog acidifies within an hour of being exposed to the atmosphere. I decided to add some buffer to stop the acidification process to see what happens.

Last night, I took a mixture of old kava samples that I had made over the last week. They had all sat out at room temperature for several hours before going into the fridge. The mixture smelled like a combination of dirty underwear and sweaty socks in July. I took one sip of it, and it tasted worse than it smelled. I added part of a ground up tums tablet to it and stirred. After 2 minutes of waiting and building up my courage to drink it, I found that it tasted and smelled considerably better.

Today, I mixed about a level tablespoon each of fresh powder: Stone, Vanua Vanuatu, and Vanua Old Roots. I dissolved a tums tablet in warm water and stirred. I added some of the water to the kava and added some lukewarm water. The resulting grog tasted better than it does using the regular unbuffered prep. What is more interesting, however, is that my lips were tingling. It has been years since kava has been able to make my lips tingle. I drank one weak cupful and already could feel the effects. I saved the rest for later. It is possible that buffering the kava in solution maintains the integrity of some of the less common kavalactones that get destroyed quickly when preparing from unbuffered water + powder. I plan to continue the experiments, but so far, I am very encouraged by my first two trials. I suspect the buffered kava is more like fresh kava. If this does pan out with more trials, it would be nice if kava producers tried offering buffered preparation of powders, so that people outside of traditional kava regions could enjoy the same effects as fresh kava.

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
Chlorella a supplement for digestion and detox is the only supplement i have seen that without question potentiates kava idk about spiruklina though so check that out

Palmetto

Thank God!
Hibiscus leaves are used as potentiates in Pohnpei. Some may be due to partitioning, some may be due to pH, or other reasons. I would like to know if other people have the same response to pH balancing their kava.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
The acidification is due to the proliferation of lactobacillus, and very well may have a marked effect on the ending beverage after sitting for a while considering kavain is sensitive to acidic conditions.

This could be the study you're thinking of:

Dong, J., P. Kandukuru, A. S. Huang, and Y. Li. 2011. “PCR-DGGE Analysis of Bacterial Community Dynamics in Kava Beverages during Refrigeration.” Letters in Applied Microbiology 53 (1): 30–34. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1472-765X.2011.03065.x.

I'm doing more research on the gastric processing of kava to see if raising the PH might prevent or accelerate the passing of kava through the membrane of the small intestine.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
The straining of fresh sakau (kava) in Pohnpei, FSM is done with the fibrous layer under the bark of the Tree Hibiscus (H. tiliaceus)
See, Shimoda, et. al. "Moreover, we reproduced a traditional modification of the kava preparation methodology, pre-mixing with the mucilage of Hibiscus tiliaceus, and observed its potentiating effect on the activity of aqueous extracts in mast cells".

_byron

Kava Enthusiast
I posted awhile ago about kava PH levels over time. I don't know where the thread went but someone with PH test strips tried it with prepared dried kava. If I remember correctly the level did not drop for a few days after. I believe fresh green would acidify quicker.

Also I have strained okra slime a few times into my kava and it 100% changes the experience. The taste is not that bad but the texture is very slimy. My thoughts is the slime allows for a better suspension of the kavalactones which in the stomach changes the metabolism of the lactones. I could be completely wrong as I am not that knowledgeable on biology but this is my anecdotal experience

Edit: found the old post https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/is-our-beloved-root-an-acid-or-a-base.12624/#post-143692

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
I posted awhile ago about kava PH levels over time. I don't know where the thread went but someone with PH test strips tried it with prepared dried kava. If I remember correctly the level did not drop for a few days after. I believe fresh green would acidify quicker.

Also I have strained okra slime a few times into my kava and it 100% changes the experience. The taste is not that bad but the texture is very slimy. My thoughts is the slime allows for a better suspension of the kavalactones which in the stomach changes the metabolism of the lactones. I could be completely wrong as I am not that knowledgeable on biology but this is my anecdotal experience

Edit: found the old post https://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/is-our-beloved-root-an-acid-or-a-base.12624/#post-143692
I may be repeating myself but since okra is in the hibiscus family then the "slime*" is likely similar to the tree hibiscus "slime" which has
been shown to enhance kava's effect, Shimoda, et. al . That paper provides a reasonable explanation as to why this works, either way
the okra idea is a good one.
*mucilage

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized

I had to eat a lot of okra growing up. I’m very unlikely to ever add okra slime to my kava. Sounds traumatizing to me!

Palmetto

Thank God!
Sorry to sound like a broken record. I love it when people experiment with improving the quality of kava. The muciilage idea is probably a partitioning effect. That is a good parameter to explore. The pH effect is a second parameter to explore. I have some other experiments I am planning that require a lot of prep work first. It is great to see people test out ideas that are within their range of experimentation. If that sounds condescending, that is not how I meant it.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
I noticed in the first post it sounds like you and I share some kava drinking habits. I like to drink kava for a few hours in the evening, and not necessarily to the point of nausea, rather for me it's to put my head on a pillow. Making the right amount of kava for an evening sometimes means making more than I'll drink, and while it is nice to jar and chill it right away then wash the bowl, I prefer the kava at room temp, and while it's fresh. A bowl of kava sitting for an hour or two is benign. Since you are using tums for your ph raising, and I'm not really sure what that ingredient is, here are some ideas for you from my kitchen. Carbonate. Not sure if safe to consume--this is when you put sodium bicarbonate (preferably a nice food grade kind from a bakery) on the stove on high heat and cook out the water. Carbonate has a very high ph of about 10, and if you clean with it, it mimics the saponification action of sodium hydroxide, only not nearly as strong. If it is food safe to consume small quantities of carbonate, it'll jack the ph up there. One idea that is food safe is magnesium sulfate, ph around 9, being used in specific ratios like a teaspoon per liter in coffee shops to make the coffee more alkaline.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
It makes Kava "stronger" if you normally prepare it in advance and let it sit, because less kavalactones break down?
I'm still trying it to see if it improves flavour.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Chlorella a supplement for digestion and detox is the only supplement i have seen that without question potentiates kava idk about spiruklina though so check that out

When do you take the Chorella, in reference to the kava ?
Immediately before, etc ?

Skinskava

70-80 g to 1 Liter-Day Dreamer- My Roots Run Deep-
When do you take the Chorella, in reference to the kava ?
Immediately before, etc ?
I take the chlorella around 1-2 pm and then drink the kava around 6. I like to fast from 2-6 and then have a fat soluble dinner later in evening. Im sure you could take it morning or before but thats just my experience