What's new

Bringing Kava to work

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Apparently some of you enjoy some kava during the work day. Would anyone mind telling me how this is different than say...having a tall can of steel reserve on your desk, or having a bottle of Xanax next to you as you break off a few bars and fill out your paperwork?

It seems to me the only difference is that hardly anyone knows what the hell Kava is! I have to say, if I was your employer and knowing what I know about kava, I'd be pissed if my employees thought they could suck down root all day during work hours:watching:

Zentri

Kava Enthusiast
I'll make sure to send your coworkers some Borongoru then! :p

I could see a shell or two being okay to take the edge off with certain jobs .. if you can keep your mental clarity etc lol.

kavamehameha

Magnum's 'awa drinking bird
have to say, if I was your employer and knowing what I know about kava, I'd be pissed [...]
Then I claim that you don't know much about kava. Your comparison with beer and Xanax already hints that.
I don't see what the problem should be and why any employer should be "pissed" about that, as long as every kava consuming employee is still able to do his work properly. Of course, people should not be hanging around heavily krunked and doing nothing, but if that's not the case - who cares?

In my opinion, that's the great about kava: You can drink just the right amount to take the edge off and relieve stress, but still be mentally clear and fully productive. Everyone with a stressful work should drink small amounts of kava. ::happyshell:: And a good boss should be happy that his employees are calm and focused. :)

But as I said, that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
If I need it, Kava actually helps me at work.

If I'm having anxiety, stress, or am feeling overwhelmed with a difficult task then it calms me down and helps me focus.

I think it's probably not a good idea to drink Kava just for the fun of it while you are work. If you don't need it, it's probably best to stay away from it. But when I have huge tasks that are frazzling me enough to render me helpless, Kava is usually what puts me back on track.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
Then I claim that you don't know much about kava. Your comparison with beer and Xanax already hints that.
I don't see what the problem should be and why any employer should be "pissed" about that, as long as every kava consuming employee is still able to do his work properly. Of course, people should not be hanging around heavily krunked and doing nothing, but if that's not the case - who cares?

In my opinion, that's the great about kava: You can drink just the right amount to take the edge off and relieve stress, but still be mentally clear and fully productive. Everyone with a stressful work should drink small amounts of kava. ::happyshell:: And a good boss should be happy that his employees are calm and focused. :)

But as I said, that's just my opinion.
I know people who can say the same and probably "stay on track" while sipping scotch! So why the hell can't the most interesting man in the world enjoy a XX while operating the railway?

Let's not do this folks. Let's not take the stoner route where we act like Kava is equal to drinking of glass of water and claim you are practically curing every ill from back pain to cancer with every puff. No one here should be acting like kava is some benign substance which hardly impacts a person at all. This is most definitely a drug. As for how hard of a drug that's for the courts to decide (except in Germany).

Last edited:

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Umm no. a drug is something that is extracted from a plant ... something that forces your body to do something.
Cannabis is not a drug .
Kava is not a drug.
Poppy is not a drug.
Coca leaf is not a drug
Coffee is not a drug

Thc is a drug
Caffiene is a drug
Kavain extracted is a drug
Morphine is a drug
Cocaine is a drug

Lol ... what does it matter to you anyway what people do or whether you court says so or not ?
Even if a stoner wants to say cannabis helps everything from back pain to cancer.. which it does... and by the way so does kava .. proven by science for both.
And most people with a script for xanax are taking it at work and driving .. they have too .
Some with kava and some with cannabis.
Maybe you need to look and see if your using it for only recreational purposes and maybe you shouldn't drive or use it at work... that's your choice and yours to find out.

Would it be inappropriate to have a cup of Chamomile tea on your desk? You probably wouldn't leave a bottle of Xanax on your desk if you did take Xanax. If the Kava helps you and does not hinder your productivity, then drink it in a discrete fashion. One doesn't have to advertise the fact to your boss and coworkers. Make the Kava in the morning and pour it in a no see container. This is only if the Kava doesn't violate the safety of others. For instance, a driving job or working heavy machinery. But, if you are a desk jockey...... then Bula. If it helps you, then it can't be that bad.
Or you may take the stance of sharing this wonderful medicine with others. Many others could benefit from the stress relieving qualities of Kava. And, it's not illegal.
We spend the majority of our lives in these jobs. If you discover something that makes it better. Something that makes you happier and doesn't violate others...then lift a shell. Hell, I'm going to lift one right now and issue forth a might "Yelp". :)

I know people who can say the same and probably "stay on track" while sipping scotch! So why the hell can't the most interesting man in the world enjoy a XX while operating the railway?

Let's not do this folks. Let's not take the stoner route where we act like Kava is equal to drinking of glass of water and claim you are practically curing every ill from back pain to cancer with every puff. No one here should be acting like kava is some benign substance which hardly impacts a person at all. This is most definitely a drug. As for how hard of a drug that's for the courts to decide (except in Germany).
The only impacts that I have seen are happy people. :) People for the most part that aren't hurting or violating others. I can't tell you how many people in my workplace ARE ADDICTED to coffee. Their productivity would equal a slug if they stopped drinking the substance. Is coffee a drug?
You said that you would be pissed if your employees sucked down Kava all day long. Well, here is another perspective. What if your employees drank Kava responsibly and their productivity was still great. If they were professional and kind to those they work with. AND THEY WERE HAPPY.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
@Atticus I was just about to make that same point. Caffeine is a super addictive, and very powerful drug. It completely affects cognition. One could say the same thing about Ibuprofen, not to mention all the various anti-depressants and blood pressure medications that are mass-prescribed in the United States and taken at work. Kava is actually advantageous because it's not so overpowering. I wrote a 160 page Master's thesis while drinking Awa.

@Atticus I was just about to make that same point. Caffeine is a super addictive, and very powerful drug. It completely affects cognition. One could say the same thing about Ibuprofen, not to mention all the various anti-depressants and blood pressure medications that are mass-prescribed in the United States and taken at work. Kava is actually advantageous because it's not so overpowering. I wrote a 160 page Master's thesis while drinking Awa.
Amen to this. It staggers me how many people in my workplace stumble around drinking coffee and taking numerous prescription medications. Not to say that prescrips are bad. But, the health profile of MANY of these medicines is far more dangerous than Kava.
Life is hard. I think we all find something to take the edge off of it sometimes. If you find something that makes your life better. Is fairly healthy. And doesn't hurt others. Then go for it.
Lord, there are so many unhappy people in my workplace and others. I wish they would drink Kava. I think the "workplace' is connected to an antiquated notion of misery and productivity. What if a workplace was a happy one. We only have one go at this life. And it's short and we spend the majority of it in the workplace. So, I'm going to make damn sure that it's fun and I do a great job.

tribal1209

Kava Enthusiast
You guys make some solid points....However it's 7am where I am. I seriously can't imagine starting this day with a few "shells". It sounds as appealing as a few "shots". There are 10 steps I'd rather do right now (no....NEED to do ) than to start getting grogged up at the crack of dawn.
I'm also amazed that some of you can drink this stuff, all day everyday. It seems like a great way to kill the magic and make yourself sick.
Can't we least agree some outlets for using kava seem a tad Grogoholic?

kavamehameha

Would it be inappropriate to have a cup of Chamomile tea on your desk? You probably wouldn't leave a bottle of Xanax on your desk if you did take Xanax. If the Kava helps you and does not hinder your productivity, then drink it in a discrete fashion. One doesn't have to advertise the fact to your boss and coworkers. Make the Kava in the morning and pour it in a no see container. This is only if the Kava doesn't violate the safety of others. For instance, a driving job or working heavy machinery. But, if you are a desk jockey...... then Bula. If it helps you, then it can't be that bad.
The only impacts that I have seen are happy people. :) People for the most part that aren't hurting or violating others. [...] You said that you would be pissed if your employees sucked down Kava all day long. Well, here is another perspective. What if your employees drank Kava responsibly and their productivity was still great. If they were professional and kind to those they work with. AND THEY WERE HAPPY.
That's precisely the point I wanted to make with my message above. Maybe I didn't express myself clear enough, but @Atticus nails it.

You guys make some solid points....However it's 7am where I am. I seriously can't imagine starting this day with a few "shells". It sounds as appealing as a few "shots". There are 10 steps I'd rather do right now (no....NEED to do ) than to start getting grogged up at the crack of dawn.
I'm also amazed that some of you can drink this stuff, all day everyday. It seems like a great way to kill the magic and make yourself sick.
Can't we least agree some outlets for using kava seem a tad Grogoholic?
It definitely doesn't kill the magic. It has only added some serious magic to mine. :)
But, I do understand. It might not be your thing at certain times. And that is cool.

kavamehameha

Just as @Kavasseur, I never had kava at 7 am. I don't want any, I'd probably throw up if I had to drink any. And I also think there are times for every kava drinker when he doesn't want to drink any kava. And that's great! Kava isn't a drug.

It seems like a great way to kill the magic and make yourself sick.
You have a strange perception of kava and kava drinkers.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Just as @Kavasseur, I never had kava at 7 am. I don't want any, I'd probably throw up if I had to drink any. And I also think there are times for every kava drinker when he doesn't want to drink any kava. And that's great! Kava isn't a drug.

You have a strange perception of kava and kava drinkers.
This is a key point. Kava isn't addictive at all. It sucks not having it around, and it's nice to have it. But it doesn't create a dependency. I can go weeks without drinking Kava and I'm fine. Sometimes I go through periods where it's not my thing. When I lived in South Sudan I didn't have it at all (though it would have really helped). You don't get withdrawals from Kava.

fait

Position 5 Hard Support
I have considered drinking some kava at the workplace. Lately, there has been someone really pissing me off and making work less enjoyable than it already is. No amount of tunes can drown out my easily distracted mind. I am usually super tired during the AM hours, however, which is why I've thought against the idea. I know the current kava powder I have makes me very useless later at night, but earlier in the evening, it did make me a more calm and collected Smash Bros. player (not necessarily a more effective one).