What's new

Bula! Tonight's kava recipe.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Hello hello! Tonight I made some delicious root juice. I began by finishing off a shell from last night while preparing 60 grams fresh Loa Lawena of Fiji, with 500ml water. This was before I even knew the water pipes were frozen. I had this with dinner.

Much later on, about now, I've run a second brew on those roots,mixed with a third rinse on a 170 gram knot of roots in a different strainer. Both were stored in the fridge sealed, however I chose to make the root in the pot on the stove until it was too hot to touch, then I squeezed and kneaded a minute more before getting the kava to steam. I made a mug and am drinking that, definitely a great beverage choice for this time. I am enjoying the flavor of this kava.

The rebrew of the half pound of dry kava is excellent, can hardly tell it's not fresh first bowl. amount and preparation rocks! Full of kavalactones and kava essence. I believed this when I was making the first few tanoas.,so I saved it. I am grateful, it's been challenging yet survivable. How is everybody?
20210122_020318.jpg

Jacob Bula

Nobody
I really like your strainer, where did you get it? Yes, reused makas with really hot water is the way to go. I've had good luck with using anywhere from 3-6 cups of root with this method.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I really like your strainer, where did you get it? Yes, reused makas with really hot water is the way to go. I've had good luck with using anywhere from 3-6 cups of root with this method.
I can answer that one! It's a hand-made strainer from @Bula Kava House . I've been bugging Judd for a long time now to find someone who will make them again for him, because I absolutely love them.

I got a fijian strainer in recently I can say is equal if not better in quality. It's double lined, the seam is reinforced, and seems like it would be great and take a beating. I haven't moved it into my normal rotation yet as I haven't gotten all the mileage out of my BKH strainer just yet. The new vendor, @fijivanuakava has a "kava kit". It has a ladle, 4 coconut shells, and a fantastic strainer. I've suggested possibly separating the strainer from the kit, because it's a serious one.

fijivanuakava

Kava Vendor
Bula. Yes our home made traditional strainer bag comes with the kava kit or sample pack. Its in made in the villages and its the same bag they use back home.