What's new

buy lemon juice. Pronto

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
So I've been experimenting with ways to not involuntarily convulse with the taste of kava.

They culminated in a shaman ritual of 5 dry heaves, breath holding, nose plugged chugging of ice cold kava.

But there was no avoid this face:

Until now. I've tried this about 5 times. It works.

Add a decent shot of strong lemon juice to your kava. And you will actually find yourself enjoying the taste of mud.

infraredz

BULA!
Grapefruit juice inhibits the CYP 3A4 enzyme though three (if I'm not mistaken) of it's compounds, bergamittin, dihydrobergamottin and naringin. There might be others that contribute to the enzyme inhibition, but those are the main three I think. I believe that these (or very similar compounds, if not metabolites of them) are also present in other citrus fruits, but obviously in not a high enough amount to warrant all the pharmacological warnings that address GFJ, and GFJ only.

While other citruses may have these compounds, metabolites or structurally similar compounds, they obviously don't occur in high enough amounts otherwise we would have warnings that aren't just limited to GFJ (from pharmacists, doctors, etc).

The only other thing that could be an issue is the acidity of it, but again, the natives commonly use other fruits that have slightly acidic properties such as pineapple.

I don't think there is any harm at all in using a few drops of lemon juice with your kava.

D

Deleted User01

Dudes, I have posted this many times in the forum. As the Chief Mixologist, I have experimented with many ways to mask the taste of Kava. What I have found is fairly simple. Add something that is bitter but that you like, to mask the bitter taste that you don't like. So I do a lot of Micronized and Instant with club soda and lemon. I can take Grog and add some Frozen Colada Extract and a but ole bunch of Lemon, add ice, and I'm chillin. Pomegranate Molasses with Grape/Pomegrante does the same. So come up with other bittering agents that work and let us know. I guess I need to try Hop Juice Next. I got plenty of Hops used in beer making in the fridge. How about a Kava Imperial IPA? Whoa, my genius is finally
surfacing to the top. :ROFLMAO: Maybe one of youse guys can beat me to the punch and become heroes or even Legends:rolleyes:.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

The only other thing that could be an issue is the acidity of it, but again, the natives commonly use other fruits that have slightly acidic properties such as pineapple.
There ya go with that Pineapple thing again. According to Deleted User's link/post, Pineapple is good for lots of things.:D
Sorry Deleted User, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
:banghead:

infraredz

BULA!
There ya go with that Pineapple thing again. According to Deleted User's link/post, Pineapple is good for lots of things.:D
Sorry Deleted User, I guess no good deed goes unpunished.
:banghead:
Hmm? Pineapple is certainly good for lots of things and in my experiences at the "local" kava bar, they serve pineapple slices on little toothpicks to "chase" the kava with. It works amazingly well.

D

Deleted User01

I lost the thread but somebody asked me "Deleted User01, do you wash and toss with your club soda and lime? I have BKH boroguru as my go to. Is that miconized". The answer is No, I do toss and wash. And no, the BKH Boroguru is not micronized as of this writing. I probably wouldn't even be doing Micronized except that Gourmet Hawaiaan filters their Micronized and then takes it thru a prorprietary process which ruptures the cell walls of the Kava. So I never have any discomfort from Micornized but I always have potent effects. In fact, right now I'm having some Micronized Mahakea. Really nice. But I would also say that I rotate my Kavas. A little instant here, a little Grog there, and some Micronized here and there. And I will also add that I'm smitten by the convenience of Instant Kava and Micronized Kava so it gets tougher and tougher to get out the strainer. Ok, one more thing. I don't do toss and wash because it seems like that method of ingesting Kava seems to be related to a higher incidence of dermopathy. I have never had dermopathy and I'm doing my damnest to avoid it.
Whew! End of post.

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I lost the thread but somebody asked me "Deleted User01, do you wash and toss with your club soda and lime? I have BKH boroguru as my go to. Is that miconized". The answer is No, I do toss and wash. And no, the BKH Boroguru is not micronized as of this writing.
No, I do toss and wash....now you've got me confused. You wash an toss with micronized only?
PS> I wrote that thread, but wanted to replaced it with a shout out to your IPA idea. Again, genius.

Hawaiian Gourmet Kava sounds looks good kava. I'll try them out.

D

Deleted User01

I do not toss and wash with regular powder. Micronized is processed so you don;t have to strain it. It is filtered to remove the bad fibers that can "get ya" if you toss and wash powder. (At least I know GHK micronized is filtered). And of course it goes thru the process to rupture the cell walls. I'm going to google and look at my beer magazines because I swear that someone has already done hop juice. I think there was a Lady Brewer who made hop juice with all kinds of different hops. Then she add some juice to her regular beer to get something that tasted different. I think she was also taking notes on the hop variations so that she could use that combo on her next home brew. I thought that was a cool idea. I think you would dump them in a hop bag and boil for 1 hour. I'm just not sure about the quantity of water. I must assume my responsibility and find out. Then we can have great fun making different beery tasting Kavas. Man, I can't believe I didn't think of this a looonnnnggg time ago. I already have the hop bag and some hops.

This think could turn out horrendous as well but it needs to be tried. I'm also thinking about club soda with hop juice and Kava. It would be fizzy like a beer. Sounds good in theory.

kaba

Kava Curious
Genius idea!!! Adding lime or lemon juice to kava makes kava's taste not only bearable but almost pleasant. I think I can purchase MeloMelo again

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
In my limited experience as a kava noob, I've tried putting just about everything in it to improve the taste. Nothing really worked so far for me, except for a chaser. And a chaser totally takes care of the bad taste problem. Coke works really well, but it's so full of calories that I don't want to drink that much coke. V8 works very well also. I need to continue experimenting, but it seems to me that putting anything in the kava to improve the taste is pretty much a waste of time.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
There is one mixer I'm going to have to use eventually because it sounds like a good idea. Coconut water. I have a freezer of fresh root that I will have to try it with.

Hyperion

Kava Enthusiast
There is one mixer I'm going to have to use eventually because it sounds like a good idea. Coconut water. I have a freezer of fresh root that I will have to try it with.
When I'm in Brazil, I get the fresh coconuts from vendors by the beach and drink the water. I've bought the canned stuff here in the states, but it's not the same at all. It's excellent from the freshly harvested coconuts down there, but there's no kava to put in it... at least as far as I know :cool:

Reuben_Vulawalu

Kava Curious
When I'm in Brazil, I get the fresh coconuts from vendors by the beach and drink the water. I've bought the canned stuff here in the states, but it's not the same at all. It's excellent from the freshly harvested coconuts down there, but there's no kava to put in it... at least as far as I know :cool:
Best way to drink kava here in the islands..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I'm always surprised at how rarely tanoas are used. Its def on my list of things to own though. A big beautiful tanoa that I fill with kava each day.

I mean, red buckets are cool and all- But I'd just feel like I was doing laundry kneading something in that.

Last edited:

Kristy

Kava Curious
I make a batch about an hour early and put it in the freezer so its ice cold . This is my new thing . So much better. And you can chug it so easily.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk