What's new

Can Kava Cause Anaphylaxis Shock?

calma

Kava Curious
What we know is Kava can cause allergies. But can anaphylaxis as well?
Which is much more dangerous.
Were there already such cases?

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
What we know is Kava can cause allergies. But can anaphylaxis as well?
Which is much more dangerous.
Were there already such cases?
I answered your question over on reddit :)

"This solely depends on the person. Kava can cause anaphylaxis if you are HIGHLY allergic to kava just the same way peanuts can, however I've not seen anyone report a full on case of anaphylaxis even if they discovered they were indeed allergic to kava. "

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Also worth noting-- I am not aware of any evidence that ...
"What we know is Kava can cause allergies".
I suspect you mean some people may be allergic to kava.

verticity

I'm interested in things
A search of the literature for "kava" and "anaphylaxis" or "anaphylactic" turns up very little:

The only specific case reports that brings up are articles that mention various herbals which if you read closely all appear to say that there have been some cases of anaphylaxis associated with echinacea, but no cases with kava. A PubMed search gives similar results.

A search for "kava" and the synonymous term "allergic shock" does turn up this one paper, which is the only mention of this I am able to find:

Schulze, Johannes, Walter Raasch, and Claus-Peter Siegers. "Toxicity of kava pyrones, drug safety and precautions–a case study." Phytomedicine 10 (2003): 68-73.

It mentions 2 adverse reaction reports of "allergic shock" associated with "kava pyrone" between 1986-2001 in Germany and Switzerland (see Table 1) It's very important to note that the "kava pyrone" that these adverse reactions was reported with would have been the low quality extract products that were in use in Europe prior to 2002. It's also important to keep in mind that these reports only mean there was an association in two cases, they do not prove causation.

Last edited: