What's new

Cargo Cults

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
So, since becoming obsessed with kava and joining the forum, I have become interested in the whole prince Philip/John Frum/Cargo Cult thing. I find it utterly fascinating. I wanted to buy a book on it, hopefully one that is readable and not overly academic. However, when I went on amazon the pickins were pretty slim. There were a few texts referenced that came up, but nothing that looked too enticing. Is anyone aware of a decent book on the subject they could recommend?

Edit - This one caught my eye but its only an e-book.

http://www.amazon.ca/When-John-Frum-Came-ebook/dp/B0064SK214/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1359844805&sr=1-1

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
That was good. Thanks. I was hoping this would be the sort of thing that would inspire a book or two written in a similar way.You' d think it would be interesting to more people.

kl.Thunder Chunky

Kava Curious
Wow I've never heard of this before! Its truly a fascinating reaction to the Western world. Thanks for posting.

And now I finally get the significance of Prince Philip.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
If you have the science channel and watch "An idiot abroad" Karl Pilkington visits Vanuatu and the tribe that worships Prince Phillip. He even drinks kava in that episode. It's season 2 episode 1 if anyone wants to "look" for it. It's my favorite episode.

kl.Thunder Chunky

Kava Curious
Awesome, looking forward to that. Unfortunately Netflix doesn't have the show but I'm sure its floating around on the internet somewhere.

Do you know of any other TV shows that have covered the kava topic or have someone visiting the South Pacific to drink kava?

Buddhacide

Kava Enthusiast
I'm going to watch that idiot abroad episode ASAP, lol.

Thunder - check out a show called "meet the natives" . You can buy kava from the dudes in the show.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
Cargo Cults aren't just about Cargo, but also about one's ancestors.

If you have the time, there is a seriously thick book on the subject of ancestors by Cargo Cultist Richard Dawkins called "An Ancestor's Tale," that discusses several interesting divergent points in the evolutionary chain that leads from you and me back to the unremarkable bacterium which is the Last Universal Common Ancestor of all life on earth. Reading it also helps show you that how life, much like Landrovers and iPads, has a powerful illusion of design, but actually is the result of natural selection.

Prince Philip

Duke of Edinborogu
I understand.

When I discovered kava, I discovered cargo cults at about the same time. I knew about both of them for a long time, but didn't understand their true power.

I had to also come to grips with the nature of biology. Isa and Madang Short really helped, being more primitive kavas. I also had the benefit of Ray Comfort saying that his favorite plant, the banana, was evidence for his favorite deity, and having an epic Interwebs fail, because he failed to understand the Cavendish cultivar wasn't "the Banana as God Intended."

As my spirituality/religiosity became more and more informed by kava, and my knowledge of kava increased with my natural aptitude towards the subject of botany, my definition of "ancestor worship" changed from an "honor thy mother and thy father" to something best catagorized by an actual quote I mined directly from Richard Dawkins, "We are, in any era, the organisms that live contain the genes of an unbroken line of successful ancestors. It has to be true. Plenty of the ancestors’ competitors were not successful. They all died. But not a single one of your ancestors died young, or not a single one of your ancestors failed to copulate, not a single one of your ancestors failed to rear at least one child."

I've never been comfortable with the concept of "worship" meaning blind obedience. Perhaps because I am autistic and therefore perseverate, my worship takes the form of study. My love is a love of learning and of the things I learn. "The Ancestor's Tale" is designed to be such a pilgrimage, a pilgrimage of learning that takes one back through one's individual ancestors to the last common human ancestors to the ancestors of 39 other taxa all the way back to the Last Common Universal Ancestor. Such a pilgrimage shows that we are related, not only to all of each other, but to the kava we drink, the bugs we must protect our kava from, the fungus that attacks our kava, and even the bacteria that fix the nitrogen in the kava's soil. We all share, at some point, the same ancestors.

And by keeping to Kastom and honoring these ancestors, we'll be rewarded with cargo.