What's new

Chewing root

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Yes. Chewing kava root whether fresh or dry works great. It is extremely likely to have been the 1st method ever used in any case but we won't go in to detail.
There was also the belief that saliva enhanced the active constituents in kava, but that is unlikely.
Also, long ago in societies where kava is traditionally consumed it was preparred by chewing and straining...often by children for the adults.
So I will add here my long held theory [since there is evidence that kava use focuses attention, enhances memory]--
At least in pre-outside contact Hawai'i there was no written language however there were/are incredibly long, historic chants which have been translated
now, historical, creationist chants among them. Could the remarkable memories be a result of chewing 'awa for the adults? Focusing attention.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Is there any effects is chewing fresh kava roots?
Yes. It tends to be a more heady experience and short lived but very uplifting. I found my mouth would get pretty numb so not recommended before having get in front of a bunch of people to talk....

EmeraldKava3690

Kava Curious
I would assume that that when you're chewing either the fresh or dried root that you're getting the whole root and breaking it into smaller chewable pieces, but not grinding it? Considering it has been said to effective and more stimulatory I am very curious to try it...

VictoriousSpoon

Kava Curious
From wikipedia: "
Kava is consumed in various ways throughout the Pacific Ocean cultures of Polynesia, Vanuatu, Melanesia and some parts of Micronesia and Australia. Traditionally, it is prepared by either chewing, grinding or pounding the roots of the kava plant. Grinding is done by hand against a cone-shaped block of dead coral; the hand forms a mortar and the coral a pestle. The ground root/bark is combined with only a little water, as the fresh root releases moisture during grinding. Pounding is done in a large stone with a small log. The product is then added to cold water and consumed as quickly as possible.

The extract is an emulsion of kavalactone droplets in starch and buttermilk. The taste is slightly pungent, while the distinctive aroma depends on whether it was prepared from dry or fresh plant, and on the variety. The colour is grey to tan to opaque greenish.

Kava prepared as described above is much more potent than processed kava. Chewing produces the strongest effect because it produces the finest particles. Fresh, undried kava produces a stronger beverage than dry kava. The strength also depends on the species and techniques of cultivation."

From Captain James Cook: “[Kava] is made in the most disgustful manner that can be imagined, from the juice contained in the roots of a species of pepper-tree. This root is cut small, and the pieces chewed by several people, who spit the macerated mass into a bowl, where some water (milk) of coconuts is poured upon it. They then strain it through a quantity of fibers of coconuts, squeezing the chips, till all their juices mix with the coconut-milk; and the whole liquor is decanted into another bowl. They swallow this nauseous stuff as fast as possible; and some old topers value themselves on being able to empty a great number of bowls.”

(https://www.takimai.com/captain-cook-history-kava/)

Last edited: