What's new

cholesterol

Catlady

Kava Curious
I've got high cholesterol and it is not coming down anytime soon. my LDL is 4.3. I have kava almost every evenings. I thought about perhaps alternating with something like CBD oil every other night instead of kava. so I got a prescription for pure CBD isolate oil and one with traces of THC as it can work better as a broad spectrum. I've been taking it for 3 days and it only made me feel foggy and grumpy. When I have kava, I get up in the morning in a good mood and happy. Not with CBD. I might have to go on statins. Kava has been a miracle in my life, I hope I can find a way to manage that cholesterol.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
I've got high cholesterol and it is not coming down anytime soon. my LDL is 4.3. I have kava almost every evenings. I thought about perhaps alternating with something like CBD oil every other night instead of kava. so I got a prescription for pure CBD isolate oil and one with traces of THC as it can work better as a broad spectrum. I've been taking it for 3 days and it only made me feel foggy and grumpy. When I have kava, I get up in the morning in a good mood and happy. Not with CBD. I might have to go on statins. Kava has been a miracle in my life, I hope I can find a way to manage that cholesterol.
What are your triglyceride levels?

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
There are low dose statins in red rice extract.
Unfiltered coffee (water on coffee grounds, french press) but not filter coffee or espresso/cappucino is the worst for LDL. I think this is the most important thing for LDL ever according to nutritional data and widely distributed charts.
There are some things that lower LDL a bit (lignans, some pharmaceuticals, green vegetables) but these are not STRONG modifiers like coffee.
What else? High triglycerides is indicator of low-end western diet. In EU it is not very difficult to eat healthy food but I heard that it is quite difficult to find food that is both healthy and affordable in the USA.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfiltered coffee (water on coffee grounds, french press) but not filter coffee or espresso/cappucino is the worst for LDL. I think this is the most important thing for LDL ever according to nutritional data and widely distributed charts.
There are some things that lower LDL a bit (lignans, some pharmaceuticals, green vegetables) but these are not STRONG modifiers like coffee.
What else? High triglycerides is indicator of low-end western diet. In EU it is not very difficult to eat healthy food but I heard that it is quite difficult to find food that is both healthy and affordable in the USA.
Now that is wild. I had no idea coffee had any affect at all on lipoproteins.

You're well right, though. As there is no paucity of information regarding it.

Roos, B. de, M. J. Caslake, A. F. Stalenhoef, D. Bedford, P. N. Demacker, M. B. Katan, and C. J. Packard. 2001. “The Coffee Diterpene Cafestol Increases Plasma Triacylglycerol by Increasing the Production Rate of Large VLDL Apolipoprotein B in Healthy Normolipidemic Subjects.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 73 (1): 45–52. https://doi.org/10.1093/ajcn/73.1.45.

Roos, B. de, J. K. Sawyer, M. B. Katan, and L. L. Rudel. 1999. “Validity of Animal Models for the Cholesterol-Raising Effects of Coffee Diterpenes in Human Subjects.” The Proceedings of the Nutrition Society 58 (3): 551–57. https://doi.org/10.1017/s0029665199000725.

Tol, A. van, R. Urgert, R. de Jong-Caesar, T. van Gent, L. M. Scheek, B. de Roos, and M. B. Katan. 1997. “The Cholesterol-Raising Diterpenes from Coffee Beans Increase Serum Lipid Transfer Protein Activity Levels in Humans.” Atherosclerosis 132 (2): 251–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/s0021-9150(97)00099-3.

Urgert, R., Mpme Weusten-van Der Wouw, R. Hovenier, S. Meyboom, A. C. Beynen, and M. B. Katan. 1997. “Diterpenes from Coffee Beans Decrease Serum Levels of Lipoprotein (a) in Humans: Results from Four Randomised Controlled Trials.” European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 51 (7): 431–36. https://www.nature.com/articles/1600414.

Catlady

Kava Curious

Last edited:

fueledbykava

Kava enthusiast
This is the first time that I've ever heard anything about unfilterer coffee affecting LDL as well (and I'm a French press coffee drinker)! Will have to read up on these studies for sure.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
This is the first time that I've ever heard anything about unfilterer coffee affecting LDL as well (and I'm a French press coffee drinker)! Will have to read up on these studies for sure.
Right?! Had no idea. Seems to raise LDL and lower blood pressure.

Senftinger, Juliana, Julius Nikorowitsch, Katrin Borof, Francisco Ojeda, Ghazal Aarabi, Thomas Beikler, Carola Mayer, et al. 2023. “Coffee Consumption and Associations with Blood Pressure, LDL-Cholesterol and Echocardiographic Measures in the General Population.” Scientific Reports 13 (1): 4668. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41598-023-31857-5.

Jean

Kava Curious
But this has nothing to do with the active compound, i.e., caffeine, since the effect of increasing cholesterol is even stronger with caffeine-free coffee (see, e.g. https://healthmatch.io/cholesterol/coffee-and-cholesterol) . May it be that the increase in cholesterol by kava is not due to the kavalactones but another molecule present in the kava plant ?

greg99

Kava Curious
I also recently tested high on the cholesterol level. It was high a year ago and still high about the same level. And that was a year drinking kava quite regularly.

I’m now eating different and hoping to see lower cholesterol when I go back in December. I have lost 25lbs and really am modifying what I eat to see if it is lifestyle or genetic.

Drinking kava would obviously fall into the lifestyle pile.

How bad is kava on your cholesterol. Is it like super bad?

JohnMichael

Kava Synchronized
I also recently tested high on the cholesterol level. It was high a year ago and still high about the same level. And that was a year drinking kava quite regularly.

I’m now eating different and hoping to see lower cholesterol when I go back in December. I have lost 25lbs and really am modifying what I eat to see if it is lifestyle or genetic.

Drinking kava would obviously fall into the lifestyle pile.

How bad is kava on your cholesterol. Is it like super bad?
Don't drink any kava 24-48 hours before the labs. Kava's boost of cholesterol readings is relatively short term...at least for me.

greg99

Kava Curious
Don't drink any kava 24-48 hours before the labs. Kava's boost of cholesterol readings is relatively short term...at least for me.
Good to know! I usually stop any kava use for at least a few weeks before any test to make sure I can see what everything is without any “foreign” substance in me lol.